How to respond to a not really bad, but sounds bad review

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBeachHouse

Reaction score
Reviewer liked the place but said the breakfast was hotel ordinary and that the other reviews had been misleading.
The truth is, our breakfast is better than some but never fancy. What do I say?
Kill 'em with kindness answer, "We are sorry you were disappointed with our breakfast. We advertise continental and deliver an enhanced continental always including a yogurt bar, fresh fruit, a variety of cereals and juices, and hot food including eggs, bacon, sausage and a sweet choice such as pancakes or French toast. We try to offer something for everybody."
Real answer, "If you want a plated, gourmet breakfast, you should stay at INN Other down the street. Their breakfast is way better than ours, but then again, we never promised a plated, gourmet breakfast."
Most probably answer, "Thank you for your review and for the mention of breakfast. We offer a breakfast buffet featuring (see above.)"

I would go with the third one. We serve buffet as well and Innkeep told me to not apologize for what we don't have but to make people excited about what we do have! So many have exclaimed over our simple buffet as being just perfect…. and then we get the grouch who wanted the plated breakfast and didn't read the description. Smile! It's contiguous!

They said the other reviewers lied?
I'd go with a description of your expanded breakfast offering. Maybe with, 'here's the description our breakfast directly from our website - ...'
No, too snarky.
We're glad you enjoyed your stay! Thank you for highlighting our daily homemade breakfast buffet which includes...
Let everyone else decide if that sounds like the Holiday inn's breakfast.

I'd go with a description of your expanded breakfast offering. Maybe with, 'here's the description our breakfast directly from our website - ...'
No, too snarky.
We're glad you enjoyed your stay! Thank you for highlighting our daily homemade breakfast buffet which includes...
Let everyone else decide if that sounds like the Holiday inn's breakfast..
thanks both of you.
I didn't apologize and just listed breakfast.
Thank you for your kind review. We are happy you were comfortable and enjoyed the ocean views from your room. I'm glad you mentioned the Seaside breakfast buffet. We offer a self serve buffet between 8 and 10 AM including coffee cake or muffins, a yogurt parfait bar with toppings such as granola, coconut and much more, fresh fruit, a variety of cereals (including gluten free varieties), assorted juices and hot food which always includes scrambled or baked eggs, bacon, sausage and a sweet choice such as pancakes, French toast or bread pudding. Of course we have coffee and tea. We try to offer something for everybody.

No, too snarky.
thanks both of you.
Thank you for your kind review. We are happy you were comfortable and enjoyed the ocean views from your room. I'm glad you mentioned the Seaside breakfast buffet. We offer a self serve buffet between 8 and 10 AM including coffee cake or muffins, a yogurt parfait bar with toppings such as granola, coconut and much more, fresh fruit, a variety of cereals (including gluten free varieties), assorted juices and hot food which always includes scrambled or baked eggs, bacon, sausage and a sweet choice such as pancakes, French toast or bread pudding. Of course we have coffee and tea. We try to offer something for everybody.
Bacon, eggs, sausage and something sweet, sounds like a great breakfast to me.

Hmm, checked out the profile. Luxurious traveler; all over the world; Etc. You did well! Don't sweat over the review…..he's in Maine due to reviews.

Hmm, checked out the profile. Luxurious traveler; all over the world; Etc. You did well! Don't sweat over the review…..he's in Maine due to reviews..
hmmmm. He refers to himself as a 'foodie' and reviews mainly restaurants.
We never promised a gourmet meal, so I'm ok with it.

Hmm, checked out the profile. Luxurious traveler; all over the world; Etc. You did well! Don't sweat over the review…..he's in Maine due to reviews..
I noticed he was into food but decided not to mention that. It was a good review and you made sure those reading know what breakfast really is. Time to move on since you can't please everyone. Now the next foodie will knew what to expect and can make the choice to stay or not.

We had a 4* review from someone who travels extensively all over the world so in my response I highlighted how "delighted " we were that a luxury, world traveler rated us highly. Of course you can go on to discuss your breakfast offering to off set his comment on your offerings and to clarify it for others. But letting the reader know that he is a foodie and expects luxury should be your main focus.

No, too snarky.
thanks both of you.
Upbeat, to the point, short enough it will be read.
Perfect!

No, too snarky.
thanks both of you.
Ack. Just noticed ancient thread. <blush>

Back