How to tell when a pear is ripe?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Not a joke. I need to know. My neighbor has a pear tree that is laden. Last year someone beat me to the punch. So, how do I tell? I picked one 2 days ago but it is, to my mind, too hard. Should they be sorta soft?

If you find out , let me know, I have a pear tree and by the time they look right to me, the dog has usually taken a bite out of all of them and they are all on the ground, but when i pick them early, they never ripen...

Not an expert, but this is generally how I tell. You can't always tell by the color (it depends on the variety). Generally speaking, gently push agains the flesh. It should be soft, but not too soft. If it's hard as a rock, it's probably needs a bit longer. You can however pick them early and they'll ripen over a few days.

If you find out , let me know, I have a pear tree and by the time they look right to me, the dog has usually taken a bite out of all of them and they are all on the ground, but when i pick them early, they never ripen....
inncogneeto said:
If you find out , let me know, I have a pear tree and by the time they look right to me, the dog has usually taken a bite out of all of them and they are all on the ground, but when i pick them early, they never ripen...
Some of them are already on the ground, that's why I was wondering. I gave the one I picked a couple of days, but I could still kill someone with it with a well-aimed throw! Maybe I should wait for the wasps to find them...

Not an expert, but this is generally how I tell. You can't always tell by the color (it depends on the variety). Generally speaking, gently push agains the flesh. It should be soft, but not too soft. If it's hard as a rock, it's probably needs a bit longer. You can however pick them early and they'll ripen over a few days..
Proud Texan said:
Not an expert, but this is generally how I tell. You can't always tell by the color (it depends on the variety). Generally speaking, gently push agains the flesh. It should be soft, but not too soft. If it's hard as a rock, it's probably needs a bit longer. You can however pick them early and they'll ripen over a few days.
The variety is 'Forbidden Fruit'.
wink_smile.gif
Because the tree is at a former church that no one is using for the time being. Seriously, the pears are sorta brown. That's the color they stay. The tree is ignored so the fruit tends to be on the small side.

Not an expert, but this is generally how I tell. You can't always tell by the color (it depends on the variety). Generally speaking, gently push agains the flesh. It should be soft, but not too soft. If it's hard as a rock, it's probably needs a bit longer. You can however pick them early and they'll ripen over a few days..
Proud Texan said:
wink_smile.gif
Because the tree is at a former church that no one is using for the time being. Seriously, the pears are sorta brown. That's the color they stay. The tree is ignored so the fruit tends to be on the small side.
I've seen that variety. They are usually sweeter than the Bartlett. I think the variety is called Anjou.
We're about to harvest several bushels from a friend's mother's orchard. That is unless Hurricane Ike got to them first. We're going to make Pear Butter for the B&B.

Don't wait until they are soft. Then they will over ripen. Hard pears are good. They ripen with time off the tree.

Proud Texan said:
wink_smile.gif
Just leave them out, not in the fridge. and they'll ripen so that you can use them. Bosc Pears are darker like that. The D'Anjou Pear variety will darken as it ripen. I do that all the time with pears because it seems like the ones in the store are picked quite early. Pears can go to overripe so fast so maybe that's why!

When it is ripe TO PICK is diff from buying already picked. If you pick them firm put them in a brown paper sack for a few days to ripen.
If some on the tree are ripening to soft, then pick the firm ones. Then of course, go by the ol' calendar, it is about time for pears and apples.
wink_smile.gif

Back