How to tell when you need a new mattress in a guest room?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Without actual sagging, how can you tell? I don't sleep on our beds, I know I should do this, but I don't, I try to and it never happens.
I have one bed that is now NOISY, you sit on it and it makes noise, is it the box spring? Is it time for a new mattress set? There is no room next to this room and no one hears this noise except the guests using it.
I won't be able to TRY IT OUT for a few weeks, other than sitting on the edge while making it up.
Your thoughts? I need to check it when I strip it next and see the years warranty sticker on it, how many years it is supposed to be good for.

Keep in mind that the warranty info assumes you'll be sleeping on that bed every night.
We still have nothing but good comments about the beds. I have 3 new ones and the others are original. I have in mond to replace one more this year and then the whole upstairs will be done.
I've been looking at the sides of the mattresses and some are starting to look a little 'crushed'. Could just be the edges, but I'm keeping an eye on those and listening for comments. I'm still hearing how the one bed is the most comfortable bed.
As for the squeak, it could be the frame, not the mattress at all. Maybe the frame has loosened up. When we have gotten the new beds we have replaced the metal frames. They DO wear out where they are joined at the corners.

I think it is the boxspring, the other half here believes it means time for a new mattress? I have all sorts of issues with frames making noises, this is an antique bed - it is now a queen, they didn't make queens in the 1800's. So the frame it tight on the bed.
I have no idea how old this mattress set it, I believe it may be from the first B&B owners here, if so that means 2010 is the 20 year mark. I know which ones have been replaced since then, this may be one of the originals, but it is in good nick still, so I wonder. I need to sleep on it...but can't and now am worried it is annoying guests.

I think it is the boxspring, the other half here believes it means time for a new mattress? I have all sorts of issues with frames making noises, this is an antique bed - it is now a queen, they didn't make queens in the 1800's. So the frame it tight on the bed.
I have no idea how old this mattress set it, I believe it may be from the first B&B owners here, if so that means 2010 is the 20 year mark. I know which ones have been replaced since then, this may be one of the originals, but it is in good nick still, so I wonder. I need to sleep on it...but can't and now am worried it is annoying guests..
How bad is the squeak? REALLY bad? Embarrassingly bad? We had that at a place we stayed in VA, awful squeak even if you just rolled over or got out of the bed. The least movement and the noise was awful. And it was the whole bed. The bed itself was comfortable, but it was awfully noisy. We were laughing it was so bad, but it would not have been funny had there been anyone else in the house.
So it sounds like something is rubbing, especially as you say the boxspring is a tight fit to the frame. You could just try shifting the whole boxspring. Disassemble the bed and put it back together. (Not the bed frame, just pull the mattress & boxspring off and square the whole frame back up again, reassemble.)

I have read in the Hotel magazine that a mattress in a hotel room is not getting the work out your own mattress gets because every body that lays on there is a different body. that means not the same spots are layed upon each and every night, which means, a hotel mattress can actually last twice as long as your own.
The "noise" might very well be the box spring, maybe something in your bed frame is out of whack and needs to be pushed back in position.

oh, heehee - I should have read all the replies first, huh?
embaressed_smile.gif

Back