How visible are you to your guests during their stay?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate being caught with laundry and stuff I had just stripped about 4 rooms of everything and I was tired so I just chucked all the stuff down the stairs and it was all in a heap then people came and saw it all with me stood there with my hair all stood up, red face, no make up. Oh well never mind!.
When guests are gone, I use my laundry chute because I refuse to cary linens downstairs - have no desire to trip on a loose towel of corner of a sheet. I stand at the railing in the upstairs hall and call out - Look out below. Splat! It has saved DH many a time!

If it is freshening a guest room then the door remains OPEN.
If cleaning a bog and stripping beds, vacuuming etc, the door is closed. I don't care to see all dirty rooms open and being stripped as a guest either..
Joey Bloggs said:
If cleaning a bog and stripping beds, vacuuming etc, the door is closed. I don't care to see all dirty rooms open and being stripped as a guest either.
Totally agree and yet I still don't go to make sure doors are closed when guests leave right after brekkie. And, oh, the mess I sometimes encounter and realize EVERYONE walked past that room.
On a flip, I definitely kept the door locked while cleaning because it could be a tornado effect in there with everything being stripped to go in the wash.
I closed the doors on a freshen but didn't lock them. If someone came back from another room, I didn't want them peering in on someone else's belongings plus it helps keep down the transmission of the noise of cleaning the room if other guests return. If I had to go farther than a few steps to get something that I forgot, I locked the guest's room door when I left. No telling when someone else might return.
Think about it...when you are at a hotel with a maid cleaning your room, the door automatically locks behind them when they are in there. I don't see the difference. We aren't snooping through our guests' belongings, we are cleaning their room and providing a service to them.

I try to stay out of the way. As far as tending rooms, we're fortunate to have a back stairwell, which I use most of the time (it has wooden stairs - I hate vacuuming the front, carpeted stairs so use them as little as possible).
We let them know - holler, knock on our door, ring the bell, and if ALL else fails and you need us, dial the phone.
If I am not terribly busy, I will leave one door open to our private space so I can easily hear someone "yoo-hoo."
Mostly it's a non-issue. If guests are choosing to hang out, they pretty much keep to their rooms..
Back stairways are the BEST!! I would love that even in my own private home. :)

If cleaning a bog and stripping beds, vacuuming etc, the door is closed. I don't care to see all dirty rooms open and being stripped as a guest either..
Joey Bloggs said:
If cleaning a bog and stripping beds, vacuuming etc, the door is closed. I don't care to see all dirty rooms open and being stripped as a guest either.
Totally agree and yet I still don't go to make sure doors are closed when guests leave right after brekkie. And, oh, the mess I sometimes encounter and realize EVERYONE walked past that room.
On a flip, I definitely kept the door locked while cleaning because it could be a tornado effect in there with everything being stripped to go in the wash.
I closed the doors on a freshen but didn't lock them. If someone came back from another room, I didn't want them peering in on someone else's belongings plus it helps keep down the transmission of the noise of cleaning the room if other guests return. If I had to go farther than a few steps to get something that I forgot, I locked the guest's room door when I left. No telling when someone else might return.
Think about it...when you are at a hotel with a maid cleaning your room, the door automatically locks behind them when they are in there. I don't see the difference. We aren't snooping through our guests' belongings, we are cleaning their room and providing a service to them.
In hotels, at least the ones I have been in, the doors are always open when the housekeeper is in the room. I don't think I've ever seen a closed door with a cart outside. And, yes, you can see everyone's 'stuff' everywhere. And walk in, as I did, looking for someone who was not in their room and the housekeeper just shrugged at me. I could have walked off with her purse, camera, whatever.

I try to stay out of the way. As far as tending rooms, we're fortunate to have a back stairwell, which I use most of the time (it has wooden stairs - I hate vacuuming the front, carpeted stairs so use them as little as possible).
We let them know - holler, knock on our door, ring the bell, and if ALL else fails and you need us, dial the phone.
If I am not terribly busy, I will leave one door open to our private space so I can easily hear someone "yoo-hoo."
Mostly it's a non-issue. If guests are choosing to hang out, they pretty much keep to their rooms..
Back stairways are the BEST!! I would love that even in my own private home. :)
We had backstairs in our old house. This house has backstairs, too, but they go to a guest room. If a family lived here, they could open that back up and have stairs coming down into the kitchen, like they used to.

Joey Bloggs said:
In hotels, at least the ones I have been in, the doors are always open when the housekeeper is in the room. I don't think I've ever seen a closed door with a cart outside. And, yes, you can see everyone's 'stuff' everywhere. And walk in, as I did, looking for someone who was not in their room and the housekeeper just shrugged at me. I could have walked off with her purse, camera, whatever.
Odd...I have never seen that. I also don't remember seeing it when we were cruising. Seems like it would be easy for someone to just walk right in and say that they were the guest and remove something from the room. Most of the time, housekeeping staff would have no idea who belonged in the room and who didn't.

Laundry chute bayyyyybeeee. Plus our rooms are three in the front then a long hallway to get to two more then the outside room. So the config works fine, we have another door on the hallway which we can close as well if vacuuming. We? Sheesh is there a mouse in my pocket. which I can close..
You really do have to come here to see just how every square inch of space is guest area. Chases were added in the hallways to run pipes for water, but that's about all the spare room there is!
We do need to visit you!! When should we come?? I'm ready to leave now....you did say it was 69F there today!
wink_smile.gif

But no....I am traveling in the next couple of months where it's nothing but HOT!! I can't complain though....they'll be fun trips.

Laundry chute bayyyyybeeee. Plus our rooms are three in the front then a long hallway to get to two more then the outside room. So the config works fine, we have another door on the hallway which we can close as well if vacuuming. We? Sheesh is there a mouse in my pocket. which I can close..
You really do have to come here to see just how every square inch of space is guest area. Chases were added in the hallways to run pipes for water, but that's about all the spare room there is!
We do need to visit you!! When should we come?? I'm ready to leave now....you did say it was 69F there today!
wink_smile.gif

But no....I am traveling in the next couple of months where it's nothing but HOT!! I can't complain though....they'll be fun trips.
Yeah, but it is supposed to be 90 tomorrow. Sorry to say, I think we got your weather this summer! That'll teach us for being so happy about having it be 70 in April and May!

wink_smile.gif

Yeah, but it is supposed to be 90 tomorrow. Sorry to say, I think we got your weather this summer! That'll teach us for being so happy about having it be 70 in April and May!
Yeah we were all complaining about all the snow just a short time ago...and now...it has been in the 90's for 32 days!!! and it is to continue here through the next week..so probably through the rest of the month. Maybe we'll catch a break in Aug. I sure hope so. My plans for daily walking went down the tube....and I am not gettin up at 6 am to walk..sorry...not that dedicated.
confused_smile.gif

wink_smile.gif

Yeah we were all complaining about all the snow just a short time ago...and now...it has been in the 90's for 32 days!!! and it is to continue here through the next week..so probably through the rest of the month. Maybe we'll catch a break in Aug. I sure hope so. My plans for daily walking went down the tube....and I am not gettin up at 6 am to walk..sorry...not that dedicated.
confused_smile.gif

Until my friend had a foot problem, we got up at 5 a.m. to walk at 6 because it was the only time we both had to walk. We did it for about 10 years.

on a related topic.....
when you're in the zone....doing what you're doing, working things out in your head for what is next to do, and after that, after that......
Guest/customer tracks you down, needs this or that, or what ever.......breaks your rhythm.........you've lost the zone
Losing that zone frustrates me to no end.

on a related topic.....
when you're in the zone....doing what you're doing, working things out in your head for what is next to do, and after that, after that......
Guest/customer tracks you down, needs this or that, or what ever.......breaks your rhythm.........you've lost the zone
Losing that zone frustrates me to no end..
This is, quite simply, a completely multi-tasking kind of job. However, I know what you mean, and it can be a challenge to be in the middle of something and have to stop. I always end up forgetting something when that happens.

If I am doing laundry or on the computer or gardening and the guests are hanging around the house for the day I let them know where I am and to come get me if they need anything. Most of the time they realize that I am working so they only find me if they really need something. If I am getting really behind I try to stay out of sight so they won't want to just chit chat.

Hiding this in here, this guest is staying with us currently. So next time you hear the intro music on a news or sports show...
A great weekend of guests, even those who left early due to rain who were here to visit our lake...this has been and still is, a cosmopolitan weekend for us, we have African Americans, Japanese Americans and Arab Americans. So far everyone has loved the breakfasts and enjoyed their stay immensely. This is when this business is fun! (for me)

Hiding this in here, this guest is staying with us currently. So next time you hear the intro music on a news or sports show...
A great weekend of guests, even those who left early due to rain who were here to visit our lake...this has been and still is, a cosmopolitan weekend for us, we have African Americans, Japanese Americans and Arab Americans. So far everyone has loved the breakfasts and enjoyed their stay immensely. This is when this business is fun! (for me).
Yes! I always liked our diversity of guests and why they were here to visit our City. Enjoy!
cheers.gif

Back