How was 2016

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We've had our best year in all 11 years! So much so, that we are actually closing the doors for the entire week that are West Coast kids/grandkids are going to be here for Christmas! Something, we've never been able to do.
Again, our best year ever, whilst 98% of all other lodging in town was swallowed into the OTA craze!.
Congratulations! Enjoy the visit!
Can you elaborate on your last sentence?
TheBeachHouse said:
I freaked out at the beginning of the year to discover that all but 2 hotels & 3 B&Bs in our area had signed up for OTAs, including our major niche competitor.
Despite this, we had our busiest season ever, without having to give away 15%+ in commissions; control over guest reservations and details, and save for the usual couple of couples, lovely appreciative guests arriving on time or giving us a call if running late.
I was told by the presenter at a digital tourism event recently that Digital Scotland is going to start running presentations for people who want to wean their business off of the OTAs.

We've had our best year in all 11 years! So much so, that we are actually closing the doors for the entire week that are West Coast kids/grandkids are going to be here for Christmas! Something, we've never been able to do.
Again, our best year ever, whilst 98% of all other lodging in town was swallowed into the OTA craze!.
TheBeachHouse said:
I freaked out at the beginning of the year to discover that all but 2 hotels & 3 B&Bs in our area had signed up for OTAs, including our major niche competitor.
Despite this, we had our busiest season ever, without having to give away 15%+ in commissions; control over guest reservations and details, and save for the usual couple of couples, lovely appreciative guests arriving on time or giving us a call if running late.
We are pretty close to 50% OTA. Not brave enough to end it.

TheBeachHouse said:
You have such awesome TA reviews and like us, are in a tourist destination. Folks are going to find you no matter what. And we've been to your place, 'tis such a fantastic location!
We do use TA Trip Connect which is PPC, so it keeps us competitive against other OTAs when people are using the TA search.
Methinks, now in the slow season might be a good time to test. Drop the OTAs for at least the first couple of months of the new year. Keep comparing your 2017 YTD reservations to this year. I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised. Also, calculate what $$ amount you are paying in commissions, divide that by your ADR, and that becomes the number of Bookings you can afford to lose to break even. If you are at 50% that's got to translate into tons of room nights! Either they'll be booked via non-OTAs or you'll be working less to make the same amount of dollars. And your guests will be a much happier and higher quality match than those looking for perceived discounted OTA rates.

TheBeachHouse said:
I was told by the presenter at a digital tourism event recently that Digital Scotland is going to start running presentations for people who want to wean their business off of the OTAs.
Will say for Yvonne Halling that's her party line - what we have been strong about is really pushing our min nights nights at weekends, events and putting them on as only through our own web site or air for as long as possible and being strong, proud of our product and charging more!

Being in a ski town, the lack of snow the first quarter of the year put us in a revenue hole we never quite were able to dig out of. We had a major car event here in June and our work building our wedding business helped us climb out somewhat during the summer, but we'll still finish the year behind 2015. AirBnB continues to take market share in our area and will be our biggest challenge to overcome in 2017.

TheBeachHouse said:
You have such awesome TA reviews and like us, are in a tourist destination. Folks are going to find you no matter what. And we've been to your place, 'tis such a fantastic location!
We do use TA Trip Connect which is PPC, so it keeps us competitive against other OTAs when people are using the TA search.
Methinks, now in the slow season might be a good time to test. Drop the OTAs for at least the first couple of months of the new year. Keep comparing your 2017 YTD reservations to this year. I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised. Also, calculate what $$ amount you are paying in commissions, divide that by your ADR, and that becomes the number of Bookings you can afford to lose to break even. If you are at 50% that's got to translate into tons of room nights! Either they'll be booked via non-OTAs or you'll be working less to make the same amount of dollars. And your guests will be a much happier and higher quality match than those looking for perceived discounted OTA rates.
great insight and advice. (and thanks for the compliments!) I'll share this with my husband.

TheBeachHouse said:
Will say for Yvonne Halling that's her party line - what we have been strong about is really pushing our min nights nights at weekends, events and putting them on as only through our own web site or air for as long as possible and being strong, proud of our product and charging more!
Just had a call for tomorrow night and he said it was a little more than he planned to spend. I said sorry, we have our rates set to the best we can. Asked if he had been in the military. He said he Father was. Told him sorry, my Daddy was too but I wasn't so it did not count. He mentioned AARP and I told him our only discount was for those who put their lives on the line to protect us - Military, Police, and Firemen. He booked.

Best.
Year.
Ever.
Retiring from paid work helped enormously. Recent health challenges with close family member have put improvements on hold (yet again) that I had hoped to be well along to finishing at this point. Very slow now. I still likely have a couple of months of quiet.
Goals: More direct bookings, too high a percentage currently from Air. I intend to try trpcon nect this year. A website update is in order, and one major room upgrade. If those things happen, I predict this coming year will be similar to this past one.

TheBeachHouse said:
Just had a call for tomorrow night and he said it was a little more than he planned to spend. I said sorry, we have our rates set to the best we can. Asked if he had been in the military. He said he Father was. Told him sorry, my Daddy was too but I wasn't so it did not count. He mentioned AARP and I told him our only discount was for those who put their lives on the line to protect us - Military, Police, and Firemen. He booked.
gillumhouse said:
He will be glad he did!
regular_smile.gif
Congrats to the saleswoman!

TheBeachHouse said:
We have friends who went over to the dark side (boo..com) a couple of years ago. When I saw how much busier they are in the winter I was tempted.
however they are no busier than us in the summer (Easter to end oct.) so all they are doing is working more in the winter to recoup some of their commission losses during the peak.

TheBeachHouse said:
We have friends who went over to the dark side (boo..com) a couple of years ago. When I saw how much busier they are in the winter I was tempted.
however they are no busier than us in the summer (Easter to end oct.) so all they are doing is working more in the winter to recoup some of their commission losses during the peak.
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif

My business was over twice what I did in 2015, but I more than doubled my guest capacity in 2016, going from 2 rooms to 5, so the increase was expected hoped for! There were lots of nights I could have filled 2 more rooms, if I'd had them. I'm very pleased with how things are going since I opened in early 2013.

TheBeachHouse said:
I like how you think!

My business was over twice what I did in 2015, but I more than doubled my guest capacity in 2016, going from 2 rooms to 5, so the increase was expected hoped for! There were lots of nights I could have filled 2 more rooms, if I'd had them. I'm very pleased with how things are going since I opened in early 2013..
See im going bonkers - we have 16 rooms under construction and 2 mad busy events in jan I am turning business away for as its going to be end of jan when we open! nothing more galling than turning away business!

My business was over twice what I did in 2015, but I more than doubled my guest capacity in 2016, going from 2 rooms to 5, so the increase was expected hoped for! There were lots of nights I could have filled 2 more rooms, if I'd had them. I'm very pleased with how things are going since I opened in early 2013..
See im going bonkers - we have 16 rooms under construction and 2 mad busy events in jan I am turning business away for as its going to be end of jan when we open! nothing more galling than turning away business!
Jcam said:
16! Wow.

Is this just the new building or are you redoing your whole establishment ?!?

A B & B next door that she bought and has to TOTALLY redo.

Next door B&B which joins on to us but was more used a halfway house/hostel - went bust finally after limping along for a long time, we managed after 2 years of pratting about with the receiver and confirming funding and so on to purchase 1st of September (woo hoo) as part of the deal PO had 28 days to clear personal possessions - she spent the whole 28 days pratting about and driving us mad which we were fully aware was going to be the case.
really getting cracked on now which is good but we have been handicapped by the fact the competion date kept moving so we couldn't book any trades so they are all coming when they can but we are now gettting past their booked jobs so they can come more ie plumbers are a team of 3 so 2 plumbers for 4 days and 1 on friday makes a big difference. Plus plasters in over the weekend so they have finished 2 rooms and then the electrician can get the sockets on and that's those cleared.

Next door B&B which joins on to us but was more used a halfway house/hostel - went bust finally after limping along for a long time, we managed after 2 years of pratting about with the receiver and confirming funding and so on to purchase 1st of September (woo hoo) as part of the deal PO had 28 days to clear personal possessions - she spent the whole 28 days pratting about and driving us mad which we were fully aware was going to be the case.
really getting cracked on now which is good but we have been handicapped by the fact the competion date kept moving so we couldn't book any trades so they are all coming when they can but we are now gettting past their booked jobs so they can come more ie plumbers are a team of 3 so 2 plumbers for 4 days and 1 on friday makes a big difference. Plus plasters in over the weekend so they have finished 2 rooms and then the electrician can get the sockets on and that's those cleared.
Keep the end result in mind and don't go crazy!
shades_smile.gif
Once the decoration part comes, it will became more fun and exciting! Wishing you all the very best!

Keep the end result in mind and don't go crazy!
shades_smile.gif
Once the decoration part comes, it will became more fun and exciting! Wishing you all the very best!
Im cool - im fine once I can see action, decsions to be made and getting on with things and progress - it was the dealing with the receiver, pratting about with the bank, crap like that, that had my blood pressure up.

Back