How was August?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Well I am always surprised. I thought this August was much worse than last year, and it was just under $450 less income. And, just doing the monthly taxes, we paid $2 MORE in July than August. Literally almost to the same dollar amount, it was pretty unusual.
So we carry on...
I got a little bit perturbed this morning. I get these great eNews from our tourism dept for the state and we are never flippin' in there! It is as if they say "Well this inn already does their own marketing...so we will feature some others..." for what, 10 years now.
sad_smile.gif
If they could, or would ONLY retweet us, or repin us, or share us! Anything.
We have literally had ONE NIGHT STAY different room each and every night this week. I kid you not, even tonight. If we could just double that, and make TWO nights every night, boy what a difference. It is making me batty.
Lovely guests, don't get me wrong, I am on auto pilot, I have told the same stories 5 days in a row...
August and early September are always luck of the draw it seems...

I wasn't here for August, but September is surprising me. We have been full every weekend. Empty all week (which is ok at this point, we're still moving in.)
Even when the internet was down and the phones didn't work, we managed to fill every room on Saturday night.

August was bonkers, the first time that's happened since the recession started to bite. People phoning every day wanting rooms.
Turnover wise it was our 3rd best month ever, the other two were June 2013 and May 2009, both of which are distorted due to a local festival.

I just looked. August 2012 had my wonderful long-term lady - so removing that factor, we are up $450 from last August. With that factor, I am down about $600 for August 2013. I went back and checked - thanks to the long-term runs I had into July, as of right now, my 2013 revenue is almost $50 more than the entire year of 2012. And I have reservations on the books already for October....

In Aug we were 20 rooms short from last year. Pathetic! We had a ridiculously wet summer though, so everyone's numbers are down. I used to brag that this year's YTD room counts were way up from last year, but not anymore. July & Aug closed the gap.
We have one room left this weekend and the first three weekends in Oct are already sold out with 2 night minimums, so overall we are actually doing well. If it wasn't for all the rain, we'd be breaking alot of the Inn's records.
confused_smile.gif

UPDATE: Ok, just crunched the numbers - Aug 2013 is down $2,855.35 from last year. WOW!

August 2012 was good. August 2013 was even better.
Our peak season is the 7 weeks from the middle of July through the end of August, we are virtually 100% booked for those weeks, and that revenue accounts for almost 50% of our total for the year. We are a strongly seasonal business, shut down for 6 months out of the year, so we really depend on August -- and July.

August was our best August ever. Never had more than 92 % occupancy. this year it was %99. There were a couple of cottages for one night or another where I just could not clean anymore so I took them out of service for a night. Otherwise it would have been a 100% month. Unheard of.
How can we retweet your tweets? What is your moniker/handle on twitter? I would happily tweet
Oh and, why don't you make some steam under the officials' behinds for some help and mentions in their literature? Maybe they are too stupid to figure out that EVERYONE would like a little push now and then

I wasn't here for August, but September is surprising me. We have been full every weekend. Empty all week (which is ok at this point, we're still moving in.)
Even when the internet was down and the phones didn't work, we managed to fill every room on Saturday night..
Beth, I love your location and your place. Your pics need a little brightening and there need to be less pillows on the beds, lol (a personal thing with me, I imagine what happens with those pillows...)
You need to put your foot down and require 2 nights.

August was insane as expected, but September has been nuts! We are booked the first three weekends in October as well, and are above overall the last two years for October as well. Seems like things are looking good.

Even when the internet was down and the phones didn't work, we managed to fill every room on Saturday night..
Beth, I love your location and your place. Your pics need a little brightening and there need to be less pillows on the beds, lol (a personal thing with me, I imagine what happens with those pillows...)
IrisoftheWayfarer said:
We probably will require 2 nights next season. No throw pillows? hmmmm.

IrisoftheWayfarer said:
Throw pillows are fine...just make the placement of them nice looking. But I think what she means is...guests will just toss them all over the place. You have to stage your photos better to make them more appealing. No wrinkled comforters etc etc.
See this site for some amazing photos! Also search for them on YOU TUBE. They did a really good video a while back

IrisoftheWayfarer said:
Throw pillows are fine...just make the placement of them nice looking. But I think what she means is...guests will just toss them all over the place. You have to stage your photos better to make them more appealing. No wrinkled comforters etc etc.
See this site for some amazing photos! Also search for them on YOU TUBE. They did a really good video a while back
EmptyNest said:
Throw pillows are fine...just make the placement of them nice looking. But I think what she means is...guests will just toss them all over the place.
Isn't that why they are called throw pillows?
devil_smile.gif

IrisoftheWayfarer said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Throw pillows are ok, just make sure they are washable. They will need it. Frequently.

Ours was essentially the same as last year, which was significantly down from our peak in 2011. It's still good, but would like to see the numbers go up again. Our whole region has been hit by the lagging economy.

I get these great eNews from our tourism dept for the state and we are never flippin' in there! It is as if they say "Well this inn already does their own marketing...so we will feature some others..." for what, 10 years now. sad If they could, or would ONLY retweet us, or repin us, or share us! Anything.
At one time I knew the Director and perhaps could have helped. She came back to WV. Sorry.

This August was not as good as last year but comparable to the year before, and we took a week off.

August was bonkers, the first time that's happened since the recession started to bite. People phoning every day wanting rooms.
Turnover wise it was our 3rd best month ever, the other two were June 2013 and May 2009, both of which are distorted due to a local festival..
One thing that has been noticeable this year is there are a great many more foreign tourists about.
Is that because the world economy is improving, or is it because many people stayed away from the UK last year because of the Olympics? Dunno !

Back