How was PAII Conference

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmptyNest

Reaction score
Ok folks....How was the conference? Let us have some feedback. Sound like everyone is really getting into "A Better Place to Stay" campaign...that is great!

Yes the conference was well worth it. Much smaller than it used to be, especially the number of vendors but that is probably due to the economy. And we did receive conflicting opinions on social networking, website construction, and credit card processing.
It was great to see so many that we "talk" to in the flesh, and the food for a convention setting was excellent.
I did learn enough in the classes to pay for the conference, I think!
Riki

Yes the conference was well worth it. Much smaller than it used to be, especially the number of vendors but that is probably due to the economy. And we did receive conflicting opinions on social networking, website construction, and credit card processing.
It was great to see so many that we "talk" to in the flesh, and the food for a convention setting was excellent.
Riki.
Well it is much smaller now because they are doing just regional and not focusing on a BIG one National meeting. I think that is smarter because you have the opportunity to talk a bit more with others than you would at a huge conference. Glad you enjoyed it.

The Conference was great. More (and sometimes conflicting statements) workshops on social media than I could handle. Lots of great subjects though. Good speakers. They raised over $110k for the BWTS campaign during the Conference. I did not know innkeepers HAD that much discretionary $$ - I was pushing it to commit $100 for each of the next 3 years. I am truly happy for those who could gice - just wished I could have. Jay got his beard shaved. Will post the pictures this afternoon. Vendors were successful. Food was good.
I got to the CVB in Charleston (they bused us down & back) but otherwise did not move my car until I left. Used the shuttle. Thursday however, I visited the interior of a North Charleston squad car - twice! My cousin's son picked me up Tuesday with his wife & daughter and we went to dinner. Thursday he was going to work so he picked me up, took me to his house to visit and have dinner and dropped me at the hotel on his way to meet his crew at the station house. My daughter said "as long as you are in the front seat - if you are EVER in the back seat of a swquad car, I don't want to hear about it!" He told me that in his car - the front passenger seat IS the perp seat because he does not have a cage in his squad car. (I have not broken the news to Sheryl yet.)
Sheryl & Martin said they will make it happen with the reno - planned for 2012!
As promised: Photos
Carefulwiththat.JPG
BNB4VetsAward.JPG

The Conference was great. More (and sometimes conflicting statements) workshops on social media than I could handle. Lots of great subjects though. Good speakers. They raised over $110k for the BWTS campaign during the Conference. I did not know innkeepers HAD that much discretionary $$ - I was pushing it to commit $100 for each of the next 3 years. I am truly happy for those who could gice - just wished I could have. Jay got his beard shaved. Will post the pictures this afternoon. Vendors were successful. Food was good.
I got to the CVB in Charleston (they bused us down & back) but otherwise did not move my car until I left. Used the shuttle. Thursday however, I visited the interior of a North Charleston squad car - twice! My cousin's son picked me up Tuesday with his wife & daughter and we went to dinner. Thursday he was going to work so he picked me up, took me to his house to visit and have dinner and dropped me at the hotel on his way to meet his crew at the station house. My daughter said "as long as you are in the front seat - if you are EVER in the back seat of a swquad car, I don't want to hear about it!" He told me that in his car - the front passenger seat IS the perp seat because he does not have a cage in his squad car. (I have not broken the news to Sheryl yet.)
Carefulwiththat.JPG
BNB4VetsAward.JPG
Sorry not to post these photos much sooner. I am still in vacation mode. Kathleen, Jeanne and Jim were awarded Champion awards for their contribution to the entire B&B industry for their veterans project. You can see that they were in an actual photo shoot, and also here's a close up of Kathleen and her award.
IMG_1213.JPG

Kathleen1.jpg

Jay promised to have his beard shaved off if $35K was raised for the Better Way to Stay Campaign during the meeting. $100K was raised instead towards marketing and promotion which he promises will be "edgy" (a gen Y term, I think). Here's an "after" shot. Jay is being congratulated by Carol of MTLodge
Jay%20and%20MTL.jpg

And some other innmates
Innkeep.jpg

Riki.
Well it is much smaller now because they are doing just regional and not focusing on a BIG one National meeting. I think that is smarter because you have the opportunity to talk a bit more with others than you would at a huge conference. Glad you enjoyed it.
catlady said:
Well it is much smaller now because they are doing just regional and not focusing on a BIG one National meeting.
They did have a New England regional late in 2010, but this Charleston show was the national conference. It was much bigger than Austin in terms of attendance, and bigger than a regional PAII conference I went to a few years ago, but those have been my only conferences with PAII.
As a note, Jay also announced that the PAII headquarters will be relocating from New Jersey to Charleston sometime this year.

I have video that I need to upload. Sorry but I was busy going to a shower for my new grandson due March 1st. And I had to spend time with my grandaughters! Will let ya'll know when they are.

Carefulwiththat.JPG
BNB4VetsAward.JPG
Sorry not to post these photos much sooner. I am still in vacation mode. Kathleen, Jeanne and Jim were awarded Champion awards for their contribution to the entire B&B industry for their veterans project. You can see that they were in an actual photo shoot, and also here's a close up of Kathleen and her award.
IMG_1213.JPG

Kathleen1.jpg

Jay promised to have his beard shaved off if $35K was raised for the Better Way to Stay Campaign during the meeting. $100K was raised instead towards marketing and promotion which he promises will be "edgy" (a gen Y term, I think). Here's an "after" shot. Jay is being congratulated by Carol of MTLodge
Jay%20and%20MTL.jpg

And some other innmates
Innkeep.jpg

Wow that is actually a good shot of me. I don't look fat!
Riki

Carefulwiththat.JPG
BNB4VetsAward.JPG
IMG_1213.JPG

Kathleen1.jpg

Jay%20and%20MTL.jpg

And some other innmates
Innkeep.jpg

Riki
egoodell said:
Riki
I thought that was you, love the hair! :)

Riki.
catlady said:
Well it is much smaller now because they are doing just regional and not focusing on a BIG one National meeting.
They did have a New England regional late in 2010, but this Charleston show was the national conference. It was much bigger than Austin in terms of attendance, and bigger than a regional PAII conference I went to a few years ago, but those have been my only conferences with PAII.
As a note, Jay also announced that the PAII headquarters will be relocating from New Jersey to Charleston sometime this year.
Charleston is tops on our list for our "retirement" in a few years. :) I can see why they want to relocate there.

Back