How was your last B&B Stay?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Other than staying with an innmate, was your stay at a non innmate B&B:
a) great
b) okay
c) not so good
d) I don't wanna talk about it
e) other
Second question:
When was your last B&B Stay, innmate or otherwise?
a) within 30-60 days
b) within 90 days
c) around a year ago
d) a year or more ago
e) other

Non-Innmate stay with a couple that purpose built their house as a B&B after several years running another B&B. In spite of that, the front door opened up into their living room, and the two guestrooms shared a bathroom. Full size bottles of Suave shampoo and conditioner sitting on the edge of the bathtub. I forget what she was using for bath soap (I brought my own).
No online booking, but since she's literally around the corner from my new grand-nephew, likely I'll go back again.

It was a) great. It was my aspiring innkeeper 3-day course. It was d) more than a year ago.
I liked that they had a refrigerator downstairs with "box wine" I could help myself to, and help-your-self cookies under a glass dome. I liked that there was a private balcony outside my 2nd floor bedroom where I sat after dark, sipped wine and listened to it rain.
OK, strike all this dream stay. I just realized that we stayed at a more recent B&B, about a year ago, the one I called "Inn Church" because there were so many Bible verses framed on the walls and sewn into the pillows, and I had an inside room with no windows.
By inside room, I mean it was in the center of the house completely surrounded by other rooms, so no outside wall, no fire escape. Very uncomfortable situation. But the wrap-around front porch with rocking chairs was good and the breakfast was great, so all is forgiven!

Way better than OK, but not in great territory. Within the last few weeks.
Lovely house. converted mansion. Large rooms. private baths. Showers only, like us. sink in room, not behind the bathroom door, like our smallest room. Dated decor. Was converted to B&B in the late eighties or early nineties and although not the same owner, is run much the same as then. shared dining table. breakfast at set time.
having said this, I'm pretty sure that one person is running this 4 room property, including cleaning, turnovers, cooking, the works. And given that she probably near the end of her sixties, she's doing an amazing job.

had lunch at another Inn. owner is a friend. Seventeen rooms, restaurant and pub. Great lunch. Often go there for breakfast in our slow months. full staff, and they care.

1. C
2. other
She could of learned a lot if she came here!

And yet, in another 4 weeks, I will be trying another one. I am SO hoping they have heat. ;-)

I cannot remember my last non-innmate stay. Yes, I can but it was an assoc innmate. It was great - but the bed springs squeaked (no i did not say anything because it could have been from the stain of holding) and everything was wonderful.
About a year ago I stayed with an innmate for a Conference and everything was super-duper. That innmate is also an assoc innmate.
I just called a new member of our assoc to ask about availability and if there are stairs. An hour and a half later, I am still waiting for a call. I identified me only by name - not as an innkeeper. I wish these inns would get an availability calendar if nothing else. The innmate in the same area - actually there are 2 - but I think both (know one for sure) are second floor and stirs and the one I do not remember about for certain is booked anyway. This new member of the assoc has ground floor room - now the question of availability and steps to enter comes into play.
DH has decided we should go somewhere different for our annual October celebration. I looks like I cn get away for a Sun/Mon one-nighter Oct 20-21.
Update: I called back and booked. It is a new B & B (since July). DH decided he wanted to take me to a German restaurant for my annual celebration. I hope the food is good. Made the rez for a ground floor room. Innkeep would not be there to help haul his sorry butt off the floor!! (He goes up stairs - when there is no choice - with the butt step and then has to get upright.)

B+ (I think GOOD is better than OK
wink_smile.gif
) and D. Preparing for another quick getaway in a few weeks.
Great location. Nice room and set up. But other than the notes here and there, there was no contact at all until breakfast. The server was like milk toast - no speaking, food was slapped in front of us and she was gone. Came out once to refill coffee and to tell us where to leave the key. The only other reason I gave a B+ is the fact that they had an event taking place just outside our door, we were in the guest cottage. We were unaware this was going to take place when we booked and were not told when we arrived either.

C and D
Particular B&B is in quite a busy party town (in the main centre area) so we picked a B&B which said we are a 10 minute walk from X area so you will have quiet but is only a short walk from shops and beach.
Quiet me Posterior - single glazed windows (it was a listed building so little they could do about that) with a bus stop literally under my window which ran every 15 minutes till 2am with people queuing and chatting waiting for the bus as well as the noise of the bus stopping and starting
(2)it was an old building with a chimney - all the noise from the room below which was 2 Japanese girls came up the chimney, they were just talking normally but you could hear literally every word! - till about 12pm
Breakfast was however excellent, but what we really wanted was a good nights sleep! plus they had put the area for helping yourself to juice and cereal so when anyone stopped to get either of these 2 things no one could get in our out -felt that should have been better located.

C. It has been years since I haven't stayed with someone I know either through here, one of the state associations, or Select Registry, though.
Our last B&B stay was in April in Asheville.

C. It has been years since I haven't stayed with someone I know either through here, one of the state associations, or Select Registry, though.
Our last B&B stay was in April in Asheville..
The last time I stayed in a B & B was with you Muirford :) So you know how long that has been!!!!

JB - while I was happy with my recent stay at a B&B in a small city, and the place has very good reviews from the elephant in the room, I came away thinking the place was also an example of some of the reasons people shy away from B&Bs.
None of the other B&Bs in my very small town call themselves B&Bs except us. All others use the term 'inn'. One uses the term Bed and Breakfast Inn, perhaps the others do this to get away from the B&B stereotypes.
Although we call ourselves a Bed and Breakfast, we do have flexible check in times, liberal cancellation policies, and an actual front desk for check-in, breakfast 'when-you-want-it', menus to suit dietary needs and preferences and individual tables in the dining room. We try to provide as many hotel-like features as we are able, while preserving the uber-local experience we think people expect from a rural B&B.
In light of this thread and our recent experience, plus checking reviews of other B&Bs in that same small city, my suspicions are running toward maybe a LOT of B&Bs have not exactly kept up with the times and maybe we should transition to using "Inn" in our name also.
Were you thinking somewhat along those lines when you initiated this thread?

I want innmates to come stay the night with meeee......
Although the very thougth of that makes me nervous as all get out... (we did have two other innkeepers here and they were of course very nice and complementary, but I don't think they would tell me if they didn't like something).
I would want you all to tell me just like you do here on the forum. Isn't that why we are here?? To get and give help to each other?
SO .... if you do ever come and stay with me... please don't hesitate to let me know its you!!! <3

Back