How well do you promote your other B???

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Copperhead

Reaction score
This has been a topic many, many times on this site. When we redid our website this year we added a page dedicated to our breakfast. I am so happy we did, many times since we have had people finalize their plans because of that page.... last night's guest was no exception. She told us that when she was looking for a little getaway in the region we were one of a very few she found that actually served a full breakfast. Her statement was "we like the experience of having a full breakfast when we go away, if I wanted a muffin and coffee I could just stay at a hotel". Yes most of the B&B's do not serve a full breakfast, some because of city ordnances (big city near by) but even the small town B&B's have only continental.
But getting back to this marketing topic, she told us at check in that our site was great but since we are one of only a few that do serve breakfast we may want to make that page more noticeable. Ok, so now I need to look at putting more info about food in the high rent district of my site. I do have a breakfast pic with caption in the scrolling images on top of the home page, need to address how to give more area to this. Around here FOOD is big business.

You need to put a drop down at the top of your home page for your breakfast. People don't like to go to the bottom of the page for info!

copperhead said:
Around here FOOD is big business.
I haven't heard of any place where food wasn't big business. It's one of the top two things people live for. (You can imagine the other one.)
It's especially important if you are a bed and BREAKFAST! I'm really surprised that a regular breakfast is not the norm for B&B's in your area. Good for you! Serving the full American breakfast!

copperhead said:
I haven't heard of any place where food wasn't big business. It's one of the top two things people live for. (You can imagine the other one.)
It's especially important if you are a bed and BREAKFAST! I'm really surprised that a regular breakfast is not the norm for B&B's in your area. Good for you! Serving the full American breakfast!.
You may think food is a big business, but I have friends with both inn/restaurant and they constantly scream about the restaurant side. It is the "heads in the beds" that make the money...not the food.

copperhead said:
It's especially important if you are a bed and BREAKFAST! I'm really surprised that a regular breakfast is not the norm for B&B's in your area. Good for you! Serving the full American breakfast!.
You may think food is a big business, but I have friends with both inn/restaurant and they constantly scream about the restaurant side. It is the "heads in the beds" that make the money...not the food.
EmptyNest said:
It is the "heads in the beds" that make the money...not the food.
But as Copperhead says, good food can help put the heads in the beds.
And a reputation for bad food could well cause some beds to go empty.

copperhead said:
EmptyNest said:
Sorry, but I would wonder about that. There are many restaurants that thrive and flourish year after year - even in rough times. someone does not have a handle on some part of that enterprise.

You need to put a drop down at the top of your home page for your breakfast. People don't like to go to the bottom of the page for info!.
Samster said:
You need to put a drop down at the top of your home page for your breakfast. People don't like to go to the bottom of the page for info!
That is going to be done as well we are looking to move the breakfast up on the page. Thanks!

copperhead said:
Arkansawyer said:
copperhead said:
It's especially important if you are a bed and BREAKFAST! I'm really surprised that a regular breakfast is not the norm for B&B's in your area. Good for you! Serving the full American breakfast!
The big city near us has a very powerful restaurant association, and the reason there is an ordinance against B&B's serving a full breakfast there. A few get away with it, not sure how
wink_smile.gif
but I bet it is expensive!!! Other than those few, there is only 1 other in the region & they have a bad rep on TA.

One of the things that fascinates me about this website is learning (to my horror) about restrictive laws that we don't have out here in the wild and wooly west.

I am astonished that there are actually laws that prevent a Bed & Breakfast from serving, hello!, breakfast.

That being said, I remember the first PAII conference we attended, in Atlanta, before we'd bought the Lodge. There was a session entitled something like, "don't ignore the second B in your name.'
At the time, I was busy exploring all the electronic marketing issues, and the idea that breakfast would be an issue in a Bed and Breakfast just didn't compute.

Well, now we know. Most of our on-line reviews mention our breakfasts. It is one of our most mentioned referral reasons for booking our place (that and the fact that we're "welcoming" people).

Previous guests are starting to comment on Facebook about the recipes published on our website.
Depending on the number of people we have in the Lodge, we do everything from casseroles to table service featuring herbed-egg- stuffed popovers with roasted asparagus drizzled in lime-chipotle hollandaise, or home-made English muffins as the basis for Eggs Benedict or Florentine.
Seriously, how can anybody get in the "Bed & Breakfast" business and ignore the "breakfast" part of their business plan?

Tom

One of the things that fascinates me about this website is learning (to my horror) about restrictive laws that we don't have out here in the wild and wooly west.

I am astonished that there are actually laws that prevent a Bed & Breakfast from serving, hello!, breakfast.

That being said, I remember the first PAII conference we attended, in Atlanta, before we'd bought the Lodge. There was a session entitled something like, "don't ignore the second B in your name.'
At the time, I was busy exploring all the electronic marketing issues, and the idea that breakfast would be an issue in a Bed and Breakfast just didn't compute.

Well, now we know. Most of our on-line reviews mention our breakfasts. It is one of our most mentioned referral reasons for booking our place (that and the fact that we're "welcoming" people).

Previous guests are starting to comment on Facebook about the recipes published on our website.
Depending on the number of people we have in the Lodge, we do everything from casseroles to table service featuring herbed-egg- stuffed popovers with roasted asparagus drizzled in lime-chipotle hollandaise, or home-made English muffins as the basis for Eggs Benedict or Florentine.
Seriously, how can anybody get in the "Bed & Breakfast" business and ignore the "breakfast" part of their business plan?

Tom.
HighMountainLodge said:
:) I'd dare to say that breakfast is a primary reason many people stay at a bed and breakfast. Beds are easy to come by. It's the breakfast that makes the difference!

I think it's funny when people call and ask if breakfast is included.
teeth_smile.gif
I get those calls. And every once in a while I get the "how much if I don't want breakfast" question.
Every once in a while, I have this mean thought of offering them a discount that allows them only coffee or tea and watching them as they smell the baked goods and breakfast scent all over the house... knowing that they can't have any of it.

teeth_smile.gif
I get those calls. And every once in a while I get the "how much if I don't want breakfast" question.
Every once in a while, I have this mean thought of offering them a discount that allows them only coffee or tea and watching them as they smell the baked goods and breakfast scent all over the house... knowing that they can't have any of it.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
You are EVIL!!! I love it!! I get so many comments of - we couldn't wait to come down to see what smelled so good.

teeth_smile.gif
Eric Arthur Blair said:
You are EVIL!!! I love it!! I get so many comments of - we couldn't wait to come down to see what smelled so good.
Yes - we don't need alarm clocks, we have BACON!

teeth_smile.gif
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Yes - we don't need alarm clocks, we have BACON!
I use bread!

teeth_smile.gif
Eric Arthur Blair said:
And so do I. Which is why that evil thought crosses my mind from time to time.

Cinnamon rolls. Sometimes works too well! They don't stop to get dressed first!.
Newbatgirl said:
Cinnamon rolls. Sometimes works too well! They don't stop to get dressed first!
That is why I provide robes in the closets of my gustrooms. Not dressed? that is OK as long as they stop long enough to grab a robe!

You need to put a drop down at the top of your home page for your breakfast. People don't like to go to the bottom of the page for info!.
Samster said:
That is going to be done as well we are looking to move the breakfast up on the page. Thanks!
I just joined and would love to see your website copperhead! Great post by the way!
regular_smile.gif

:welcome: CottageKeeper! You might want to make an introductory post on the main board, telling a little about yourself. No need to be specific on who you are, where you are, etc. Just a hello, maybe a ballpark on your location, like northeast USA, midwest, lost in Alaska, etc. and a little about what brought you to innkeeping, what experience you have, etc. Lots of helpful folks here!

Back