How would you clean Beams and High Places?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
How would you clean a room (a dusty room) with tall beamed ceilings? Too tall to reach by chair or the step ladder. Tallest point is 16 feet or so. Should I get some kind of telescoping duster? I just want to snare any cobwebs that are way up high. We're not talking haunted house cobwebs but I can see some way up there and clinging against high walls.
Also dusty paintings. They can't pay to have them professionally cleaned which truly needs to happen some day. I'm just going to dust them but hopefully the dust long on there will come off without any kind of spray. I'm thinking a shammy kind of thing for that.
The beams are stained but rough, not smooth, so things can snag.
I'll post a picture if that will help.
Thanks.

ps I will have to buy the supplies so I'm hoping to not pay too much for what I need. But I don't want to waste money on something flimsy that's just not worth it. Ever so, right?

I have one of those wool duster things on a long handle with extension. The only problem I've encountered is rough splinters can catch bits of the wool. I kind of touch and lift on those places rather than sliding - if that makes sense. My little long fiber duster would be better for those surfaces but I don't have a long extension for that one.
I'll add to be careful dusting the paintings. For safety - stick to dusting just the frames. I have a family oil painting I started to dust the face of . To my horror, a chip of the paint came off. I just do the frames now and one day will have to find a restorer in the big city.

ohmy! yes I will be careful of the paintings they are old and of high sentimental value. Many of the works of this family artist are in a museum in Canada I believe. In any case, I will be very careful and hope the dust comes off the frames. So dust on the paintings themselves I have to leave that alone? ok
What kind of extension duster do you have if you care to recommend? I'm looking at all kinds of prices and it must be long ... exactly the issue, rough beams. But gorgeous if you like that sort of thing and I do.

I bought this duster at the Cost Club that extends more than 2 stories for dusting.

ohmy! yes I will be careful of the paintings they are old and of high sentimental value. Many of the works of this family artist are in a museum in Canada I believe. In any case, I will be very careful and hope the dust comes off the frames. So dust on the paintings themselves I have to leave that alone? ok
What kind of extension duster do you have if you care to recommend? I'm looking at all kinds of prices and it must be long ... exactly the issue, rough beams. But gorgeous if you like that sort of thing and I do..
Gillum's suggestions are better than mine. Mine was purchased at a craft market years ago. It is wood with an extension end made by the crafts person. Pre-Internet.

Any extension (really anything long and light) will do, just attach the tool (duster/wetcloth) you need firmly with duct tape and disensemble when done. We use the hose extension for outside windowcleaning inside with a duster attached...

We have one of those Swiffer things with the long handle that extends. The head also bends almost 360 degrees so you can flip it over to do the top of the ceiling fan blades. Super handy dandy. It would easily attach to a broom handle for really long reaches.

I understand that there are innmates who suggest using ladies' bloomers to clean the tops of ceiling fan blades....
devil_smile.gif

Here are the beams highest at one end of the room nearer the fireplace. I think there is a drum up there.
I didn't mean for my pictures to turn on their side. but you get the idea.
I will look at that simply good stuff page ... thanks all
photo%202%20%2820%29.JPG

photo%204%20%289%29.JPG

beams.jpg

The inn's ceilings are 14 feet high and 12 feet high. I use a big step ladder, climb up and sit on the top while I dust with my duster on an pole. We do not have rough beams so I don't know what to do with that. I have found that we tend to have spider webs no higher than ten feet up. Maybe our spiders are scared of heights!

Back