How would you handle this?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alibi Ike

Reaction score
Just checked in a guest and in showing them to their room saw a huge stain on their comforter that the housekeeper missed (whole other issue there that will be addressed tomorrow). Would you:
  • let it go for now and fix it tomorrow
  • flip the comforter over for now
  • other
I did not do the check-in so I did not see the mess until I was told to go look at the room when the guest was out. I do not want to mess with their room after check-in as that says I was mucking around in their stuff.

I would just go and replace it with a clean one. When you see them back just tell them that it came into your attention that there was a stain on it that did not wash out (which your housekeeper did not notce) and you had it replaced as you want them to have a perfect stay.

I would just go and replace it with a clean one. When you see them back just tell them that it came into your attention that there was a stain on it that did not wash out (which your housekeeper did not notce) and you had it replaced as you want them to have a perfect stay..
April said:
I would just go and replace it with a clean one.
(if they mention it) just tell them it came to your attention that there was a stain on it that did not wash out and you had it replaced as you want them to have a perfect stay.
what she said, except i'd leave out mention of the housekeeper. and i wouldn't mention it unless they do.
maybe they didn't notice it either?

I think if you do nothing and hope they did not notice you are risking a bed review or at best unhappy guest who will leave with the impression that the room/bed was not clean. Sometime oversight happens and you need to take the action rather than "put the head in the sand" and hope for the best.

I would remove it and replace it. If I could wash it, dry it and return it before they even knew, all the better. But if I can't, at least I was proactive and dealt with it immediately.

Sure you have done what you planned by now but I would change it. If they noticed the change, it is obvious that they will know why you went in. If they didn't notice - then all is still good.

I think if you do nothing and hope they did not notice you are risking a bed review or at best unhappy guest who will leave with the impression that the room/bed was not clean. Sometime oversight happens and you need to take the action rather than "put the head in the sand" and hope for the best..
i'm not saying do nothing ... was this post in response to mine? i'm saying change the bed but i wouldn't mention that i did it unless they ask about it.

I guess my issue is that nothing was said when they checked in. By anyone. Had it been me, I would have had that off the bed so fast their heads would have spun. I would have apologized.
But, the way I see it now is if they come back to something completely differnt, and it WOULD be completely different, they would know someone had been in their room after they left. Without seeing them to explain why I feel ooky about that.
Tomorrow there will be all new bedding on their bed. If I have the chance to apologize tomorrow I will.
I just ordered all new bedding because I am pretyt sure this 'oil-based' stain is not coming out. It looke like someone just sprayed baby oil everywhere.
The housekeeper will be shown this and told in no uncertain terms that this is totally unacceptable. After 2 years she should know better. Even if all she had done today was FLIP the quilt over to the other side, that would have been more acceptable than to think NO ONE would see that huge stain.
Well, it's all moot now. The guests are back and I can't get in the room until tomorrow.

I guess my issue is that nothing was said when they checked in. By anyone. Had it been me, I would have had that off the bed so fast their heads would have spun. I would have apologized.
But, the way I see it now is if they come back to something completely differnt, and it WOULD be completely different, they would know someone had been in their room after they left. Without seeing them to explain why I feel ooky about that.
Tomorrow there will be all new bedding on their bed. If I have the chance to apologize tomorrow I will.
I just ordered all new bedding because I am pretyt sure this 'oil-based' stain is not coming out. It looke like someone just sprayed baby oil everywhere.
The housekeeper will be shown this and told in no uncertain terms that this is totally unacceptable. After 2 years she should know better. Even if all she had done today was FLIP the quilt over to the other side, that would have been more acceptable than to think NO ONE would see that huge stain.
Well, it's all moot now. The guests are back and I can't get in the room until tomorrow..
what kind of stain is it? huge and ugly, i guess? if that's the case and it's obviously distressing you and the guests are back, what's wrong with going to their room with another bedspread in hand ... offering to change it ... and apologizing at the same time ? i'm confused a bit ... did you see it when you checked them into the room? or did someone else check them in?
anyway, i've got no issue with an innkeeper doing this while i'm there or while i'm not but that is me ... i hope you go do it now.

Well, it's all moot now. The guests are back and I can't get in the room until tomorrow..
what kind of stain is it? huge and ugly, i guess? if that's the case and it's obviously distressing you and the guests are back, what's wrong with going to their room with another bedspread in hand ... offering to change it ... and apologizing at the same time ? i'm confused a bit ... did you see it when you checked them into the room? or did someone else check them in?
anyway, i've got no issue with an innkeeper doing this while i'm there or while i'm not but that is me ... i hope you go do it now.
seashanty said:
I agree with SS.

I didn't do the check-in, I was told later about the stain. I have no back-up quilt to give them. That's part of the problem. Solved now as I just ordered quilts to put in this room, but too late for tonight. Even swapping quilts from another room won't work as this room has 2 beds so I need two matching quilts.
Because they've traveled so far today and may be sleeping at this point, I'm letting it go and handling it tomorrow in multiple ways. New quilts for the guests, a review of what is 'clean' for the housekeeper.

seashanty said:
what kind of stain is it? huge and ugly, i guess?
As far as I could tell from a quick look-see, it seemed to be something like baby oil sprayed all over.
I guess I am back to insepcting every room again as she seems to be slipping as summer progresses.

i am sorry.
this is one big reason that i believe innkeepers and other business owners start to micro-manage their staff if they are lucky enough to have help, or just plain don't feel confident leaving things in someone else's hands.
it's like a slap in the face ... and really it is ... when you give someone the very important responsibility of having a guest room check-in ready and it's not done right.
i used to do the walk through of each room ... and occasionally would see something amiss ... sometimes in rooms i did myself, sometimes in rooms where i had help. it was a suggestion i saw on this forum ... to exit the room and then go back in with fresh eyes.

I would have changed it out, if I had a spare quilt/comforter, and had the opportunity to it. If the guests had gone out, I would have a left a note for the guests that it was brought to my attention by the person doing the check-in and we didn't want to let it slip.
I had this happen once in a room that the housekeeper made up and I didn't inspect the room thoroughly. I noticed the comforter and shams weren't in pristine shape when I made up the room the next day and it wasn't a fresh problem. Totally ticked me off that it had been missed and all I could do was hope that the guests didn't notice the small stains. Guests mentioned that they noticed a totally different comforter but didn't mention the stains. So they were either being nice, or really didn't notice.

seashanty said:
As far as I could tell from a quick look-see, it seemed to be something like baby oil sprayed all over.
I guess I am back to insepcting every room again as she seems to be slipping as summer progresses.
Alibi Ike said:
....As far as I could tell from a quick look-see, it seemed to be something like baby oil sprayed all over....
Pour detergent on it and let it sit for a few minutes, then soak it in water for an hour or two. If you have it, pour some oxy on it before you put it to soak. And use the HOTTEST water you can for that fabric.
Good luck.

seashanty said:
Alibi Ike said:
....As far as I could tell from a quick look-see, it seemed to be something like baby oil sprayed all over....
Pour detergent on it and let it sit for a few minutes, then soak it in water for an hour or two. If you have it, pour some oxy on it before you put it to soak. And use the HOTTEST water you can for that fabric.
Good luck.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Alibi Ike said:
Good luck.
It's in the wash now. I'll see if it's salvageable in about an hour. Otherwise, I am swapping the bedding from another room anyway, just in case. Just waiting for that room to clear off so I can get THAT bedding in the wash.

seashanty said:
Alibi Ike said:
Good luck.
I'm trying your suggested method on a spot on a sheet right now. I hope it works for this.

The upshot is it doesn't look like they even slept in the bed. Probably thought the whole thing was dirty.
cry_smile.gif
All new bedding is going on in pieces...new blanket, quilts in the dryer.

I would do an immediate "mea culpa" - strip the bed, make it again with whatever I had available, leave extra treats on the newly made bed, put a rubber ducky on / in the shower / tub .... bottom line make it obvious that something went wrong, it's not how you normally do things, you're embarrassed and need to make amends.

I would do an immediate "mea culpa" - strip the bed, make it again with whatever I had available, leave extra treats on the newly made bed, put a rubber ducky on / in the shower / tub .... bottom line make it obvious that something went wrong, it's not how you normally do things, you're embarrassed and need to make amends..
Guests returned before the room was put back together. I fell on my sword. Explained why the beds were not completely made. They were very complimentary about how wonderful everything is, dumped their stuff off and went out again. Spouse thinks there were just being polite about not noticing anything, but at least they know we're fixing it.

Back