How would you spend $500 on your business?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting article. For me, $500.00 - new office chairs; $5,000.00 - landscaping or advertising; $50,000 - new, bigger bathrooms and each room would have individual thermostats.

The $500 would be hard to spend. The $5000 easier and the $50,000 very easy.
$500 I would attend a trade show.
$5000 would get new bedding.
$50,000 would be an new entryway, new sidewalks, redo the driveway, soundproofing, floor refinishing, split system A/C.
If I had to pay it back, I'd still get the same things, but not all at once.

Great question...
$500 replace older linoleum floors in two of our baths.
$5000 replace carpeting in OQ and in common areas of house (although it would probably be even more than that)
$50,000 would be new A/C and heat pump and a new furnace to be more efficient, sound proofing with some blown insulation, and any leftover towards a big ole vacation for moi!

Interesting article. For me, $500.00 - new office chairs; $5,000.00 - landscaping or advertising; $50,000 - new, bigger bathrooms and each room would have individual thermostats..
Hmmm $500 invest in wine carafes with my logo, and the Vintage Virginia documentary CDs for packages
$5,000 - landscaping and more grape vines
$50,000 - that 's what we need to finish the wing we just started...get all the rooms up and going at once instead of one at a time and i could QUIT my DAY JOB!
Riki

I've just done the first two of these:
1. $500 New desktop computer and printer for the B&B since ours crashed.
2. $5,000 We're putting at least that into our OQ...paint, laminate & tile for the floor we're picking up tomorrow, Having it professionally installed (no more big do-it-yourself projects since we're novices at it). New toilet, Cutting into our cabinets in the kitchen to install a dishwasher, new mid-range counter tops in kitchen and bathroom. Some new furniture to "stage" the OQ. Check this out...we're going to buy this when the flooring is done. We need to be able to have family stay in the OQ during the busy season and this looks like a good option corner sofa bed with storage
In the long run, this project will probably be more than the $5,000, so I'll carry it over to the $50,000
3. $50,000 finish the OQ project, then do some deferred maintenance to the other buildings, probably another $5,000. With the remainder I would hire a professional marketing company to evaluate the marketing efforts I've already done and to put in place their new recommendations. We've already spent about $2,000 to redo our website (currently in progress). With any leftover money, I would have someone come in and do a professional landscaping job.

I've just done the first two of these:
1. $500 New desktop computer and printer for the B&B since ours crashed.
2. $5,000 We're putting at least that into our OQ...paint, laminate & tile for the floor we're picking up tomorrow, Having it professionally installed (no more big do-it-yourself projects since we're novices at it). New toilet, Cutting into our cabinets in the kitchen to install a dishwasher, new mid-range counter tops in kitchen and bathroom. Some new furniture to "stage" the OQ. Check this out...we're going to buy this when the flooring is done. We need to be able to have family stay in the OQ during the busy season and this looks like a good option corner sofa bed with storage
In the long run, this project will probably be more than the $5,000, so I'll carry it over to the $50,000
3. $50,000 finish the OQ project, then do some deferred maintenance to the other buildings, probably another $5,000. With the remainder I would hire a professional marketing company to evaluate the marketing efforts I've already done and to put in place their new recommendations. We've already spent about $2,000 to redo our website (currently in progress). With any leftover money, I would have someone come in and do a professional landscaping job..
Good idea about the marketing company. I want to put some of my $50k toward that, too.

$500 - I'd get those bed-bug proof casements for all of the mattresses. Looks like we're going to be doing that soon anyway.
$5,000 - New lock for front door, storage for the basement, some additional landscaping and outdoor lighting.
$50,000 - Remodel the carriage house. It's about 1200 square feet, two stories. We want to turn it into a game room and meeting space for small groups and our scrapbook retreats!
Quick....somebody call Oprah!

$500 is chump change. You can't get much done for that. Maybe some paint or new bedding.

$500 is chump change. You can't get much done for that. Maybe some paint or new bedding..
Proud Texan said:
$500 is chump change. You can't get much done for that. Maybe some paint or new bedding.
In that case, if the $500 is being handed out, I'll take yours as well. C'mon. Chump change? With what each of us do everyday on a shoestring $500 could really make a difference especially if used properly. That's the idea about thinking what you would do with different amounts of money.
A lot of people on here could have decent photos taken and double their reservations. They could get a decent overhaul of an outdated website. (not a fantastic overhaul, but hey, just getting rid of the dancing fairies and blinking text will keep guests on the website longer.) They could pay for more than a year's worth of online reservation software. They could take a class that shows them how to do something they're not good at.
Or, yes, they could paint some outdated rooms, get new bedding for same and get more reservations in that room to help pay for whatever they want to do next.
It's only chump change if you don't know how to spend it.

I run on the principle of if they are handing out free money just show me where to que! it is never any loss

Back