How's the weather?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Anyone experiencing 'weather' where they are? Hope everyone is safe.

Yup. Hurricane season. Associated complications have basically killed our holiday weekend. Everyone has cancellations & it's a real bummer.

My captain, Pascal, flew from Miami to Nantucket on Wednesday morning to move one of the other charteryachts, Charmer, that spends her summers on a mooring up there. They were going to move her into the boat basin at Nantucket (that was Plan A). I liked Plan B, myself, and I was so happy to see that as of this morning, he was hauling butt outta there! He went to Mystic, CT, about 100 nautical miles west. I hope it's enough.
He has the web cam running, a/k/a the 'Cane Cam, from the windshield of Charmer. You can watch the storm from the boat here: http://www.sandbarhopper.com/webcam.html for as long as there is cell phone service, or until it becomes the Scuba Cam...The storm should start to show up on the 'Cane Cam tomorrow afternoon, I suspect.
I'm so thankful that that storm is not here. This is an ugly hurricane season. I can't wait for Halloween. Not that we celebrate Halloween, but October 31 is when we celebrate the end of hurricane season and put all the heavy artillery away.

My captain, Pascal, flew from Miami to Nantucket on Wednesday morning to move one of the other charteryachts, Charmer, that spends her summers on a mooring up there. They were going to move her into the boat basin at Nantucket (that was Plan A). I liked Plan B, myself, and I was so happy to see that as of this morning, he was hauling butt outta there! He went to Mystic, CT, about 100 nautical miles west. I hope it's enough.
He has the web cam running, a/k/a the 'Cane Cam, from the windshield of Charmer. You can watch the storm from the boat here: http://www.sandbarhopper.com/webcam.html for as long as there is cell phone service, or until it becomes the Scuba Cam...The storm should start to show up on the 'Cane Cam tomorrow afternoon, I suspect.
I'm so thankful that that storm is not here. This is an ugly hurricane season. I can't wait for Halloween. Not that we celebrate Halloween, but October 31 is when we celebrate the end of hurricane season and put all the heavy artillery away..
Sanctuary in Miami said:
or until it becomes the Scuba Cam..
That made me laugh out loud. This is a bad season, as all these waves off Africa are proving. And here I am, leaving for two weeks, smack dab in the middle of it. Even the vacation is going to be stressful, not knowing if I'll have to come back early if something heads this way. Mort, were you worried for a bit? Your whole state was in the cone for a few days, but it looks much better now.

I'm so thankful that that storm is not here. This is an ugly hurricane season. I can't wait for Halloween. Not that we celebrate Halloween, but October 31 is when we celebrate the end of hurricane season and put all the heavy artillery away..
Sanctuary in Miami said:
That made me laugh out loud. This is a bad season, as all these waves off Africa are proving. And here I am, leaving for two weeks, smack dab in the middle of it. Even the vacation is going to be stressful, not knowing if I'll have to come back early if something heads this way. Mort, were you worried for a bit? Your whole state was in the cone for a few days, but it looks much better now.
I don't tend to worry, but the guests do. We have our generator ready to go if need be, but that will only provide heat/hot water and that's it. No lights or any other electrical appliance.
Haven't seen the forecast for today yet. Guess I'd better go look.

Sanctuary in Miami said:
I don't tend to worry, but the guests do. We have our generator ready to go if need be, but that will only provide heat/hot water and that's it. No lights or any other electrical appliance.
Haven't seen the forecast for today yet. Guess I'd better go look.
We just have gray skies. We lose power a lot and what we find is great are the plug in flashlights from Lowes. They can be used also as night lights, and go on when the power is out. We keep them plugged in around the house and turn them on at night as flashlights. This way when we lose power people can still see where they are walking around the inn, and those who wish can flip them on at night as nightlights.
Riki

Wish we would get some of the rain but it looks like we're just on the outskirts.

Just heat now. We are supposed to be cooler for the weekend. We have been unusually HOT this year. I guess it was trying to make up for the unusually frigid winter.

65* today and gusty...a welcome relief from the heat and humidity. Nice to have the a/c off and the windows open for a change!

We had a rain storm this afternoon!! Lots cooler and we needed that rain. Dark sky but the sun is out again.

rain on cape cod and the south shore. many boats are up out of the water .. grumblings because we don't know if that was necessary or not. our plants and lawns and trees are enjoying the rain and it dropped our humidity. we might get winds in the middle of the night, but so far no.

rain on cape cod and the south shore. many boats are up out of the water .. grumblings because we don't know if that was necessary or not. our plants and lawns and trees are enjoying the rain and it dropped our humidity. we might get winds in the middle of the night, but so far no..
All the same people would be complaining louder if their boats were trashed and no one 'warned' them! We just like to grumble!

rain on cape cod and the south shore. many boats are up out of the water .. grumblings because we don't know if that was necessary or not. our plants and lawns and trees are enjoying the rain and it dropped our humidity. we might get winds in the middle of the night, but so far no..
All the same people would be complaining louder if their boats were trashed and no one 'warned' them! We just like to grumble!
Exactly! Ask them how people feel who lost their boats because they didn't "think it would be that bad"!

It has cooled off here as well. We and our guests will be sleeping with the windows open tonight.

It has cooled off here as well. We and our guests will be sleeping with the windows open tonight..
It is 12:55 a.m. and 55 degrees and my guests have the A/C running! woopee.............. There goes the profit - straight to the electric company.;

Back