html help- again

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penelope

Reaction score
So I admit that I need help. And from the way my day went- I need lots of it. Can someone (swirt or catlady or any of the other bright eyes here) please tell me where my mailto: function needs to be on this? Please!!!! I have been working for a Long time on this today. My eyes hurt and I am thinking of chucking this computer out the window. Please save my computer!!
<form method="post"><input name="op" type="hidden" value="send">
<p><label for="contact_firstname" class="left">Name:</label>
<input name="name" type="text" size="30" maxlength="150" class="field"></p>
<p><label for="contact_email" class="left">Email:</label>
<input name="email" type="text" size="30" maxlength="150" class="field"></p>
<p><label for="Phone Number" class="left">Phone Number:</label>
<input name="phone number" type="text" size="30" maxlength="150" class="field"></p>
<p><label for="description" class="left">Description:</label>
<textarea name="description" cols="30" rows="6"></textarea></p>
<p><label for="price" class="left">Price:</label>
<input name="price" type="text" size="30" maxlength="150" class="field"></p>
Category:<select name="Category" size="1">
<option value="Livestock">Livestock</option>
<option value="Equipment/Machinery">Equipment/Machinery</option>
<option value="Farm Products">Farm Products</option>
<option value="General/Miscellaneous">General/Misc</option>
<option value="Hay/Straw">Hay/Straw</option>
<option value="Job Listing">Job Listing</option>
<option value="Wanted">Wanted</option>
<option value="Farm/Land for Sale/Lease">Farm/Land for Sale/Lease</option>
<option value="Community Events">Community Events</option>
</select>
<p><input name="submit" type="submit" value="Submit Ad"></p>
</form>

THANK YOU

What are you trying to accomplish here? As in, when this appears on your website, how will someone use it?

What are you trying to accomplish here? As in, when this appears on your website, how will someone use it?.
It looks like a drop down selection choice in a form that someone will submit. The POST action already mentioned should do it for her.

Are you doing all this coding yourself...YUK??? what software are you using for web work??? Get yourself KOMPOZER...it is a free download.

Yes, I am sort of doing all this coding myself, only for this portion. I have Kompozer but the form action wasn't working for me. So, with time running out for my clients, I had to do the form myself. It isn't a problem, but I can't "see" where to put the mailto: function so that the email comes to me.
Bree, it is an ad submit form

Inside the <form> tag after the "method=post" should be an "action="
What the action = is either the javascript function or the page that the data should be passed to. It all depends on how your mailto function is set up.

What the action = is either the javascript function or the page that the data should be passed to. It all depends on how your mailto function is set up..
Swirt, is there an easy way that I can set up the mailto: function so that is doesn't use outlook?

What the action = is either the javascript function or the page that the data should be passed to. It all depends on how your mailto function is set up..
Swirt, is there an easy way that I can set up the mailto: function so that is doesn't use outlook?
penelope said:
mailto by definition uses whatever email client the person has set to default.
If you want the form to mail through the server and not the visitor's email client, you need some kind of server side scripting. Many hosting packages include a simple mailing cgi that you can customize or you can program a php function that will do mailing. It is nothing that runs on the page itself, it would have to be a function in a language that runs on the server (server side rather than browser side)
If it was a browser side mailing then every spammer and their uncle would manipulate it so that your site sends all of their spam. That would be BAD. :(

penelope said:
If you want the form to mail through the server and not the visitor's email client, you need some kind of server side scripting. Many hosting packages include a simple mailing cgi that you can customize or you can program a php function that will do mailing. It is nothing that runs on the page itself, it would have to be a function in a language that runs on the server (server side rather than browser side)
If it was a browser side mailing then every spammer and their uncle would manipulate it so that your site sends all of their spam. That would be BAD. :(
swirt said:
penelope said:
So, short answer is "no" ;)
Long answer is "possibly, but it depends on how much muscle you have between your ears"?
tounge_smile.gif

penelope said:
swirt said:
penelope said:
So, short answer is "no" ;)
Long answer is "possibly, but it depends on how much muscle you have between your ears"?
tounge_smile.gif

errr yes. Only not so much about the muscle between your ears but how much you want to dig and research and experiment with the options you have available to you through your existing hosting package.

I don't understand why you are asking this??? NOt everyone uses outlook...I don't! A mailto is opened up by any email program. Why stress over trying to stop outlook from opening it? THen you block a bunch of people from using it...I am confused

I don't understand why you are asking this??? NOt everyone uses outlook...I don't! A mailto is opened up by any email program. Why stress over trying to stop outlook from opening it? THen you block a bunch of people from using it...I am confused
catlady said:
I am confused
At this point, me, too. :)
I don't want it to default to outlook. I think I am going to keep it as it is for the time being while I set up the funtion to be used cgi thru the hosting company.

catlady said:
I am confused
I don't want it to default to outlook. I think I am going to keep it as it is for the time being while I set up the funtion to be used cgi thru the hosting company.
Why would it default to outlook??? It will be opened by whatever email software the user has? Why do people think outlook controls their email world? I just uninstalled it and use what I want to use.

catlady said:
I am confused
Why would it default to outlook??? It will be opened by whatever email software the user has? Why do people think outlook controls their email world? I just uninstalled it and use what I want to use.
I don't think Penelope is specifically trying to avoid only outlook...she just wants to avoid client-side email clients in general. She wants the form to simply get mailed out and not go through the email client regardless of whether it is outlook or thunderbird or gmail ...

catlady said:
I am confused
I don't think Penelope is specifically trying to avoid only outlook...she just wants to avoid client-side email clients in general. She wants the form to simply get mailed out and not go through the email client regardless of whether it is outlook or thunderbird or gmail ...
Exactly.

catlady said:
I am confused
Oh..ok...now I get it:)

Back