Humidity blech

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
We do not have high humidity here, in fact we are super dry most of the year. A couple weeks in August we do get the tropical summertime thunderstorms and humidity.
But today...due to this big storm...we have it, and blech the smells that come out of the woodwork from this 115+year old house are enough to gag an elephant. I really can't handle smells, esp old type like this today. Even the dog stinks. What the!
wow.gif

We had the high humidity here yesterday which is odd this early. It was super windy but the air was sticky. We had to run the A/C steadily all day for the first time this year. Today it's continuous rolling thunderstorms and tons of rain. Dreary.......

What do you mean you don't have humidity? I thought all of VA did...we sure do!!!! It has been bad the past few days...I agree with you on the old smells that come out. I am tooooo sensitive..but thankfully that hasn't happened here .....yet. Been way better since hubby has been doing all his car restoration in a garage away from our house. I think he FINALLY got sick of my complaining :)

What do you mean you don't have humidity? I thought all of VA did...we sure do!!!! It has been bad the past few days...I agree with you on the old smells that come out. I am tooooo sensitive..but thankfully that hasn't happened here .....yet. Been way better since hubby has been doing all his car restoration in a garage away from our house. I think he FINALLY got sick of my complaining :).
Nope, not here, rarely have any. Low dew point and all that amazes people when they stay here.
People always say your weather is so strange, "Temp is 80 and feels like 80" You know how it will say "Temp is 80 and feels like 87?" Ours is always close to the real temp. Ever since two ladies pointed that out to me a few years ago I check it on and off and sure enough, if it is 85 it feels like 85.
RIght now it is 77 and dew point is 68%. I might change the name of the B&B to "Ye stinky ol' dog!" A/C is on too.
PS There is a higher concentration over near the lake, so perhaps that draws the moisture there? Not sure what it is, but it is. Any "weather" we have is drawn over to that body away and circumvents us most of the time.

Current weather today May 4:
85 degrees F, Feels like 82 degrees
Humidity 23%, Dew Point 43%

Current weather today May 4:
85 degrees F, Feels like 82 degrees
Humidity 23%, Dew Point 43%.
Today it's 84 F, feels like 82F here and only 32% humidity. Thunderstorms all day long yesterday cleared things out here. It won't last though......

When I walked out of the house on Monday, it was like walking into a brick wall. I wnet back in the house, removed sweater and long-sleeved t and put on short sleeve blouse and went back out. This at 9 AM. I literally could not breathe the air was so thick.

Remember how I said it wouldn't last? It was 92F today and the humidity was HIGH! blech... I was outside almost all day on a home tour too.

wow! the other day, when it was very humid, i came in to a closed up house (built in the late 1600's) and it smelled so odd in a bad way ... i wondered why! now i know.

I can beat you all on the "smell factor".Yesterday went over to a rental house that has been empty for 2 months without electric/water but they have paid the rent? Renters were not there and I had a worker painting it so ask him to go inside to check the frig ?Well opened it up and it was full of food that was rotten, he started gaging, I cleaned it out....wont tell the rest but its cleaner and airing out now...smelled like someone died..also opened windows...thats my smell story!.Mary in Bridgewater

wow! the other day, when it was very humid, i came in to a closed up house (built in the late 1600's) and it smelled so odd in a bad way ... i wondered why! now i know..
Our old house used to smell like cigarette smoke when it got humid. That old horse hair plaster holds a lot of old smells.

I can beat that. My parents bought the B&B I now have and their initial plan was to go home to their house each night. They realised after about a week that this was a nonsence and moved into the B&B however they soon lost track of time and pretty much never went back. About a year later I was moving house and there was a space of 4 weeks between when my flat sold and I could complete on the new place so they suggested I stay at their empty house in the inbetween. As you can imagine the fridge was as if they had just walked out and all the vegetables in the utility room were starting a new civilisation. It was awful and I had to clean it all. And my mum was like Oh did we leave something? !!!

I can beat that. My parents bought the B&B I now have and their initial plan was to go home to their house each night. They realised after about a week that this was a nonsence and moved into the B&B however they soon lost track of time and pretty much never went back. About a year later I was moving house and there was a space of 4 weeks between when my flat sold and I could complete on the new place so they suggested I stay at their empty house in the inbetween. As you can imagine the fridge was as if they had just walked out and all the vegetables in the utility room were starting a new civilisation. It was awful and I had to clean it all. And my mum was like Oh did we leave something? !!!.
the fridge was as if they had just walked out and all the vegetables in the utility room were starting a new civilisation. It was awful and I had to clean it all. And my mum was like Oh did we leave something? !!!
That just made me laugh out loud. :)

Back