Hurricane And Weather

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BTW

Reaction score
Of course it's hurricane season here in FL and have had 4 cancellations in the last 24 hours with a storm south of us. Our polices are different depending on the OTA or direct booking outside of 30 days, but all of them are NO REFUND within 30 days. Folks just loose their minds, get crazy rude and absolutely cannot believe they can't get a FULL refund because of a storm that is still 5 days away and could do 1000 different things before it gets here. Thoughts? Thinking about making a specific "Hurricane Season Refund Policy" and entertaining some relationship with trip insurance. Anyone push trip insurance on guests or partner with some trip insurance entity? THX

Yikes! When I send out my confirmation letter, travel insurance is always suggested. I seldom give refunds inless the whole world is closed down and they really can't get from there to here.
What if you told them there *might* be a hurricane, so you don't have a room, but are keeping their money and good luck finding lodging elsewhere? Same issue from the other direction.
But I'm a tough customer...you may want to treat it differently.

I think the idea of a specific hurricane policy is a good one. It heads them off at the pass. Perhaps a percentage fee or a percentage for a later visit. Or explain what you do in the event of a hurricane. Do you have a generator? Do you offer dinner or board games during the storm?

We have given full refunds for snow storms. We’d rather not have anyone here for a good snow storm.

We have guests afraid of snow storms (can't understand that, since they're coming here to ski) and our policy allows them to get a gift certificate for a future stay for whatever their original reservation amount was minus a 10% cancellation fee.
We're also trying to find a travel insurance firm to partner with so we can put them on our website.

Sort of puts you between a rock and a hard place, specially if we need the income to keep the business operating. I'm all for sticking to cancellation policies, yet if I were truly in the path and subject to the damage of a major storm I wonder if I'd want the additional responsibility of a house full of guests, not an easy position. Even if a storm was not a direct hit on me, would I really want a house full of unhappy people, that's a side to consider.
Perhaps a dumb suggestion for the future, what about two different rates during storm season? Normal rates with normal cancellation policies and a premium rate that allows for a short cancellation time IF a storm is predicted during the period, may lose some that cancel, but pick up a bit extra from others.

Maybe something like this would help... It is not all inclusive but it works for us and can be easily customized to the type of area or storms in your part of the world!
This is an excerpt from one of our booking agreements for groups:
Storms:
Option A: No refunds will be given unless:
  • The state or local authorities order mandatory evacuations of the _______ County area" and/or
  • A "mandatory evacuation order” has been given for the area of residence of a booked guest.
  • The day that the authorities order a mandatory evacuation order in the area, we will refund:
    • Any unused portion of room rental from a guest currently registered;
    • Any unused portion of rent from a guest that is scheduled to arrive, and wants to shorten the stay, to come in after the evacuation is lifted; and
    • Any advance rents collected or deposited for a reservation that is scheduled to arrive during the evacuation period.
Option B: No refunds will be given for storms. Some area roads can be curvy and steep. Gravel drives are well maintained; however, we highly recommend four wheel drive during the snow months. We do not refund due to road conditions or Snow Days.

Sort of puts you between a rock and a hard place, specially if we need the income to keep the business operating. I'm all for sticking to cancellation policies, yet if I were truly in the path and subject to the damage of a major storm I wonder if I'd want the additional responsibility of a house full of guests, not an easy position. Even if a storm was not a direct hit on me, would I really want a house full of unhappy people, that's a side to consider.
Perhaps a dumb suggestion for the future, what about two different rates during storm season? Normal rates with normal cancellation policies and a premium rate that allows for a short cancellation time IF a storm is predicted during the period, may lose some that cancel, but pick up a bit extra from others..
Excellent, THX

Back