Hurricane Hanna

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muirford

Reaction score
Today is a good day to stay indoors and get some work done, since Hanna is moving through. We hadn't heard any thunder or lightning, so we were a bit surprised to hear a loud crack! from outside in the yard. Going to our door to take a look:
med_fallen%20branch.JPG

A very large tree branch from the lovely deciduous tree (I have been told it is a Japanese elm but I am clueless about trees) in our yard came off and crushed one of our Adirondack chairs. The one Jim usually cools down in after a jog! The tree branch is long enough to extend about 2/3 of the way through the yard - from our chairs to the lilac bush. Fortunately no garden stuff in between and hopefully no cats underneath the debris.

Hmmm that is unusual? It looks like Hanna is about past us now. The sky is brightening and we can see some sun. Only got 1.5 in. of rain. Very gentle and no wind. Maybe the tree actually was diseased and rotting and it just needed a little something to take off that limb.
To add photos: GO to your account, click on the file browser tab..I think that is what it is called. Click on the upload tab, browse to your computer to select an image and the upload it. Then to put it in your message you click on the little icon that looks like sun over the mt. and choose the BROWSE SERVER button...then choose the photo you uploaded.
It takes a few steps but once you get it ...it works ok.

Hmmm that is unusual? It looks like Hanna is about past us now. The sky is brightening and we can see some sun. Only got 1.5 in. of rain. Very gentle and no wind. Maybe the tree actually was diseased and rotting and it just needed a little something to take off that limb.
To add photos: GO to your account, click on the file browser tab..I think that is what it is called. Click on the upload tab, browse to your computer to select an image and the upload it. Then to put it in your message you click on the little icon that looks like sun over the mt. and choose the BROWSE SERVER button...then choose the photo you uploaded.
It takes a few steps but once you get it ...it works ok..
Yeah, I did do that. It said it uploaded the pic but then I couldn't find it in the directory, even after refreshing. I gave up after three tries.

Afternoon showers here...it just started raining. I was going to do some yard work this morning & then realized that all the leaves would be down again. So, will do it early tomorrow a.m.
ETA: Because of the drought here, these really old trees have had some brittle limbs. A 50 year old pecan tree came up from it's roots during some winds here a couple of weeks ago and took out a neighbor's brick wall and shed. ouch.

So glad that it is providing much needed rain to the east coast and. Hope for the most part it is a non-event.
All eyes are now on Ike here in the Gulf Coast. We only took out some of our outdoor furniture after Gustov since we were unsure about Ike. Just finished cleaning up the branches and yard. Now it is just a wait and see.

So glad that it is providing much needed rain to the east coast and. Hope for the most part it is a non-event.
All eyes are now on Ike here in the Gulf Coast. We only took out some of our outdoor furniture after Gustov since we were unsure about Ike. Just finished cleaning up the branches and yard. Now it is just a wait and see..
We'll keep everyone along the coasts in our thoughts!

It has been cloudy all afternoon. I got 2 loads of laundry dried and was about to go shopping when I thought I had best put the mower away (got it out to get my bike out yesterday). Then decided I had best mow that jungle because I got the bike out to go to the bike shop for new tires, a general "tune-up", and to finally buy a bike rack for the car. My Sunday guests are using the bikes.
It looks a lot like rain but so far, nothing. With my luck I will have a downpour at midnight when I go to Chapel.

I have a friend in Nantucket on a yacht on a mooring. She's been talking about doing B&B on that yacht next summer. I was surprised that they weren't doing much about Hanna based upon what I saw on the storm track. It was forcasted to be a tropical storm when it went/goes through there. I guess it's not that bad up there - I don't know. Then again, I get easily scared by these things and tend to over prep and prep early. Not a bad tendency, I suppose.
I think I'm about to dodge another bullet, though I won't say I DID until I actually do. I spent all morning and part of the afternoon provisioning, fueling, trying to fix a water pump, etc. in preparation for a hurricane. I got up extra early and went straight out the door - didn't even have coffee (what a sacrifice that was!) - because I wanted to beat the crowd and the lines at the gas stations. The lines I saw on the news last night were terrible! All this work and prep, and I now see we're outside the cone of death now, just barely. It's better to prep for nothing than to get caught with my pants down.
I'm still going to move to the hurricane hole Monday morning. We'll be on the dirty side of the storm. Besides...I've got a fuel tank to clean and I can't do it here - gotta move to a spot where I have a pier along side the whole boat.
Copperhead, I think Ike is coming your way. I feel for ya! Bitter sweet---on one hand I want to say I hope it goes over Cuba in order to shred the storm and break it down a lot before barrelling on to NOLA, but I'd never "hope" for that kind of wrath to be put upon anyone. If it doesn't run over Cuba, it's going to be something fierce for the Gulf coast. I have a lot of Cuban friends...this is just bad-bad-bad for everyone. Where are you located? Forgive me if I've asked that before or read it somewhere. I remember you're in the NOLA area, but can't remember where.

When you get the branch cut up, save some slices about an inch thick. They make great trivets, and have a built-in story.
Save some to make a frame for the picture of the smashed chair, or just decoupage the picture right to wood. Let it dry out first.

When you get the branch cut up, save some slices about an inch thick. They make great trivets, and have a built-in story.
Save some to make a frame for the picture of the smashed chair, or just decoupage the picture right to wood. Let it dry out first..
Good ideas, all. Maybe I'll make some coasters.

Or go right to the Browse Server button which takes you to the file browser so you can upload it directly (without having to go to your account)

Yeah, I did do that. It said it uploaded the pic but then I couldn't find it in the directory, even after refreshing. I gave up after three tries.
Hmmm I just looked to see if by chance it uploaded it someplace that it wouldn't allow you to access, but there is no sign of that photo anyplace else. It said the upload was complete? Hmmm if you have a chance can you give it one more try...I'd like to figure out what's going on.

Only one thing to do....Put the limb on a band saw and rip some new boards to re-build the chair. I couldn't find much on Japanese Elm so I'm not sure how hardy a wood it is, but it looks nice and dark. Would have guessed it was Walnut by the color. Poor adirondack chair. :( Glad everyone is ok.

Hmmm I just looked to see if by chance it uploaded it someplace that it wouldn't allow you to access, but there is no sign of that photo anyplace else. It said the upload was complete? Hmmm if you have a chance can you give it one more try...I'd like to figure out what's going on.
I will try it again this afternoon. It did say the photo was uploaded. And I tried going directly to my account and using the file browser after my three attempts using the photo editor failed. I don't know if the problem is my browser - I seemed to get the popups the first time through but not after, so I disabled the popup blocker as well.
DH - who is looking at that massive tree branch and a renewed ceiling leak in a guest room - thinks you'all have too much time on your hands.
wink_smile.gif
I think at this moment he is considering setting fire to the branch as the easiest way of disposal! (kidding, really)

I got it to upload - the file was bigger than the allowed pixel dimension. Just as a note, though - I test uploaded another file that was also bigger and it resized it automatically. This one would never upload at the bigger size. I guess I'm not sure which way it's supposed to work but it doesn't seem consistent, and there was no error message about pixel size. It just stopped uploading. It never said the file completed the upload, though - I saw that message with the other test files I did. I used the file browser first, then the picture icon in the post.

I will try it again this afternoon. It did say the photo was uploaded. And I tried going directly to my account and using the file browser after my three attempts using the photo editor failed. I don't know if the problem is my browser - I seemed to get the popups the first time through but not after, so I disabled the popup blocker as well.
DH - who is looking at that massive tree branch and a renewed ceiling leak in a guest room - thinks you'all have too much time on your hands.
wink_smile.gif
I think at this moment he is considering setting fire to the branch as the easiest way of disposal! (kidding, really)
If you have an outside fire pit, can you cut it up for that? We have a huge pile of wood in an area in the backyard of our house next door that has remnants of trees. My dh was going to chop that up with an ax in his "spare time". hahahahahaha! The idea was to use it up in an outdoor fireplace on the patio. uh, someday.......

Back