Hurricane Ike

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penelope

Reaction score
Sanctuary, did you make it thru Ike okay?
All you guys down in Texas...my prayers are with you.
Keep us all posted when you are safe and sound

Yes esp Texas! Keep us posted. Those who know innkeepers there, please let us know how they fare.

I did!! And I didn't rip the dock's cleats out this time - that's 'cuz I pulled them out last time and this time, the marina put them in concrete and a couple into a 3/4" steel plate that was bolted into concrete. Didn't get a scratch. That said, we didn't get the worst of the storm and I am VERY thankful of that. Talk about dodging a HUGE bullet. Finally, I can sleep again.
I'm still sitting in my "hole" taking the opportunity to do a little maintenance since I have nice long finger piers where I am presently. I'm polishing the sides of the boat - can't reach them in my regular slip. I must say, I'm pleased with my results. It's not everyday you get to ressurrect 28-year-old Imron paint! What a shine!
I got my fuel tanks cleaned and the fuel polished while I was here, and tomorrow I finish fixing a broken portlight by installing the exterior trim ring. Friday morning, I head back to my regular slip. This weekend, I think I'll take a breather and go over to Bayside Marketplace (with the boat) to see the live band that plays along the seawall and then head down to the sandbar for the rest of the weekend. If that plan sticks, then we'll have the live webcam running where anyone can take a virtual boat ride in Miami with us. :)
Before Ike, well before Hanna, Gustav and Fay actually, I had started sewing new drapes for the salon (living room). These storms have kept me so busy that I've still got piles of fabric laying around and can't find the time get it all done. I have way too many plates spinning in the air, but that's what "off season" is all about for us - get stuff done I can't do with guests around!
This year's off season projects have been many - moving the crane on the roof, building a new dinghy (little boat we store on the roof and lower with the crane to shuttle people back and forth when we're at an anchorage), building a new wet bar because of the crane relocation which meant I had to move both plumbing and electrical supplies, installing a new washer/dryer, sewing new curtains for the salon, installing new sewage hoses, polishing the boat, cleaning the fuel tanks and fuel to make the generator happy, and remodeling the third guest stateroom. I'm sure I left some things out that seem trivial now. I don't have much time left and I'm only one person! I've got guests coming for the Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show in late October. What a hectic off season this is.
I didn't purposely bite off all of this at once, but some of these things came up because of "opportunity" that would otherwise be lost - moving the crane and building a new dinghy, for example. I wasn't planning on doing that this year, but a special opportunity was there that I couldn't refuse - lots of free labor - did some bartering where I came out WAY ahead to the point I almost feel guilty. :D

I was listening to the weather channel just now...sending out more prayers for those of you in Ike's path...

Who here is in Texas in the path of this nasty storm?.
I have a friend that lurks here from time to time that is in the Houston area. They are not at their inn right now. I've emailed her but haven't hear back. There are areas of Houston that always flood just with a decent storm. This will not be good!

Springlady is in the direct path - she says unless it tacks a bit, her store is in a direct path. She asks everyone for their prayers and expects to be out of contact and without power for a while. She says she has lots of food, water, and company to go through the storm with.

I have a good friend in Houston who designs software for the oil industry, and his whole team was evacuated last night. He sent me this from the National Weather Service:
"Persons not heeding evacuation orders in single family one or two story homes [along the coast] will face certain death."
http://www.hurricanes08.org/
If you can, let your friend know that this is probably one that you won't be able to sit through and come out OK. My thoughst are definitely with everyone down there.

A friend of ours is there with Fema, has been since Aug 30. He NEVER goes ahead of a catastophe, usually during or after. So this is not going to be an easy hurricane.
He is there not for the oil refineries, etc, but there are quite a few chemical plants (which is his expertise).
I pray everyone is safe.

We have a full house here (MOB and her three sisters, two spouses, and a daughter)... anyway, the MOB (Mother of the Bride) and her husband are from Galveston. They're glad they're here (they beat the rush to get out of town) but they don't know if they'll have a house when they get back.
Their house did survive the 1900 disaster (8000 people swept out to sea), so they're cautiously optimistic.
Meanwhile, I'm way behind in reading posts... I'm baking all kinds of baked good for our County fair... everything is due there tomorrow. "See" you guys on Sunday!
=)
Kk.

On behalf of all Canadians our thoughts and prayers are with everyone in the path of Ike..
We've been busy putting things away and tying things down and making sure our drainage ditches etc. were clean and ready for service.
We are at least 3 hours north of Houston, but they are predicting 4-8" of rain here with 45-65 mph wind gusts. All the hotels around here are booked solid for a week and the Texas governor has suspended the hotel tax for 14 days.
Curiously, we've received no calls for rooms. We did get one last week, but they had 4 kids and we're just not set up to handle kids let alone 6 guests.
Anyway the weather is not supposed hit here until about noon CST. I'll keep you posted.

On behalf of all Canadians our thoughts and prayers are with everyone in the path of Ike..
We've been busy putting things away and tying things down and making sure our drainage ditches etc. were clean and ready for service.
We are at least 3 hours north of Houston, but they are predicting 4-8" of rain here with 45-65 mph wind gusts. All the hotels around here are booked solid for a week and the Texas governor has suspended the hotel tax for 14 days.
Curiously, we've received no calls for rooms. We did get one last week, but they had 4 kids and we're just not set up to handle kids let alone 6 guests.
Anyway the weather is not supposed hit here until about noon CST. I'll keep you posted.
Proud Texan said:
STAY SAFE! Keep us posted.

Proud Texan said:
In checking all our drainage ditches etc. I discovered that log had jammed itself inside the spillway pipe of our dam. It's a about 2' in diameter so I had to climb into the pipe, crawl about 15 feet and get a rope around the dang thing. DW was in our utility vehicle and on my instruction operated the power winch attached to the rope. We were successfully able to dislodge it and now the drain is wide open.
All I needed was to have to worry about flooding. But, we shouldn't have any problem now. I'm more concerned about downed limbs and trees as a result of the highwinds. This could result in power outages which means no cooking, no water, no computer etc.
We're storing up water for drinking and have plenty of flashlights etc. If push comes to shove we have relatives to the west of us that won't even feel the effects of the storm.

Proud Texan said:
In checking all our drainage ditches etc. I discovered that log had jammed itself inside the spillway pipe of our dam. It's a about 2' in diameter so I had to climb into the pipe, crawl about 15 feet and get a rope around the dang thing. DW was in our utility vehicle and on my instruction operated the power winch attached to the rope. We were successfully able to dislodge it and now the drain is wide open.
All I needed was to have to worry about flooding. But, we shouldn't have any problem now. I'm more concerned about downed limbs and trees as a result of the highwinds. This could result in power outages which means no cooking, no water, no computer etc.
We're storing up water for drinking and have plenty of flashlights etc. If push comes to shove we have relatives to the west of us that won't even feel the effects of the storm.
Our prayers are with you.

Proud Texan said:
We're thinking of you and all our friends in Texas! Hope you stay safe.

High winds (40-50 mph with higher gusts) have been battering this area (30 miles north of NOLA) since yesterday afternoon. We are expecting some low areas near the Lake Pontchartrain to have flooding.
The coast lines of Louisiana and southern MS have been hammered with water surge, this after just being hammered 2 weeks ago with Gustov. It is amazing how far off shore this storm is and we are getting this type of affect. This storm is massive!
S. Miami - Glad to hear all is well with you!
P. Texan & all others in SW LA & Texas in Ike's path. Take Care, be safe & our prayers are with you.

High winds (40-50 mph with higher gusts) have been battering this area (30 miles north of NOLA) since yesterday afternoon. We are expecting some low areas near the Lake Pontchartrain to have flooding.
The coast lines of Louisiana and southern MS have been hammered with water surge, this after just being hammered 2 weeks ago with Gustov. It is amazing how far off shore this storm is and we are getting this type of affect. This storm is massive!
P. Texan & all others in SW LA & Texas in Ike's path. Take Care, be safe & our prayers are with you..
We are at this moment in the heart of the hurricane. So far, so good. We still have electricity, water and believe it or not satellite TV. We have one small leak in the ceiling, but that could just be from the horizontal rain.
From what we can see out the windows, there are only small limbs down nothing major. At present, our pond hasn't risen one iota, but that won't come until later when the runoff from upstream creates a surge.
Thank you for your concern thoughts and prayers. I will keep you posted.

P. Texan & all others in SW LA & Texas in Ike's path. Take Care, be safe & our prayers are with you..
We are at this moment in the heart of the hurricane. So far, so good. We still have electricity, water and believe it or not satellite TV. We have one small leak in the ceiling, but that could just be from the horizontal rain.
From what we can see out the windows, there are only small limbs down nothing major. At present, our pond hasn't risen one iota, but that won't come until later when the runoff from upstream creates a surge.
Thank you for your concern thoughts and prayers. I will keep you posted.
We're still here. No damage. No flooding. I have some yard cleanup to do, but that's typical after a big storm.

Back