Hurricane Irene

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penelope

Reaction score
Yesterday I posted a "hope you east coasters are okay from the earthquake". Today, it's "Hope you are able to stay safe during the hurricane"!
The sentiment is true both times, though

Events are already being cancelled here. Guests are trying to revise their plans.
Pretty good mapping of the storm here: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/205112.shtml?5-daynl

I am happy to provide accom to any Innkeepers needing to evacuate and I am pet friendly

I've been watching this since it fell off the coast of Africa. Irene is really something. The weather guys are saying, "New Englanders are likely to see the worst weather of their lives." Given how brutal the weather can be, that's saying something. I don't see enough curve to the east coming to spare New England. Unfortunately, everyone south of Morehead City, NC will get a generous increase in insurance next year to pay for Irene, just like when Isabel ripped through the Chessie - rates in Florida got jacked up to cover the damage up north, citing Isabel as the reason. Ironically, in the 5+ years I've been in Miami, the northeast has seen more hurricanes than we have. Not complaining...just pointing out how ironic that is. If only there were some sort of hurricane repellant powder we could sprinkle!
Prayers for the Bahamian people, too. They don't have much in terms of stuff to begin with, but what they don't have they make up with kindness and friendliness. Today, I looked back through photographs that actually put faces on the devastation of Irene. The Bahamians are good people. The Exumas (where Irene is approaching now) is pretty flat and it won't take much to completely wash over those islands.
This eye is 331 miles from me, and we've already begun to feel the winds. We just going to get some rain and gusty wind. I turned on my wind meter thing to see what we clock. ...and I just heard something crash nearby...wonder what fell over.
Be safe, be prepared, and remember that stuff can be replaced...human life cannot. If you've got to walk away (or run real fast), then do. No one can physically protect a house from something like this. Just prepare it the best you can and leave. I realize that's hard advice to swallow - it was gut wrenching for me the other day trying to figure out what to do.
I have friends all up and down the east coast, mostly boaters, as well as a family with four young children who were last known to be in the Exumas on their 80-footer. I sure hope they made a bee-line back to Florida last week. They had just gotten that boat and were intending to cruise for a couple of years. They had just hired a live-in teacher for the kids. They didn't have cell phones, or email, so all I can do is wonder until we run into them again, and hopefully we do. No way I'd even think about riding a Cat 3 or 4 out on a boat in the islands.

Brits complain about the weather here this week I am saying be grateful we don't have hurracains and earthquakes!

Here come the cancellations. I think we're already feeling the leading edge of it as it is crazy windy and cool here. Looks like it should hit here on Monday. I've already blocked reservations on Sunday as I do not want guests in the house if we lose power.

Here come the cancellations. I think we're already feeling the leading edge of it as it is crazy windy and cool here. Looks like it should hit here on Monday. I've already blocked reservations on Sunday as I do not want guests in the house if we lose power..
Thinking of you!

Here come the cancellations. I think we're already feeling the leading edge of it as it is crazy windy and cool here. Looks like it should hit here on Monday. I've already blocked reservations on Sunday as I do not want guests in the house if we lose power..
Excessive winds, rain and damaging hail predicted for this afternoon. Here she comes.

Excessive winds, rain and damaging hail predicted for this afternoon. Here she comes.
Wow what an impact from a far. So much for having time to really nail down everything! I'll be thinking of you.

Wow what an impact from a far. So much for having time to really nail down everything! I'll be thinking of you.
Being totally unprepared for anything like this about all we are really going to accomplish is taking the lawn furniture inside so it doesn't become projectile material.
We can't do anything about the hail and just hope it doesn't damage any cars today (including ours!).
You can tell something wicked this way comes by the birds. Not a peep out of them. They are flying around silently. And the dog is firmly parked under my feet. And the sky is ominous looking.
But, I talked to a restaurant owner today who seemed totally unconcerned and had no idea why anyone would cancel because of 'rain'. OK, rain, no, but this is more than rain. Looking at NOAA it seems that Monday will be the worst here. But leading up to that we'll be getting some severe weather as well.

Being totally unprepared for anything like this about all we are really going to accomplish is taking the lawn furniture inside so it doesn't become projectile material.
We can't do anything about the hail and just hope it doesn't damage any cars today (including ours!).
You can tell something wicked this way comes by the birds. Not a peep out of them. They are flying around silently. And the dog is firmly parked under my feet. And the sky is ominous looking.
But, I talked to a restaurant owner today who seemed totally unconcerned and had no idea why anyone would cancel because of 'rain'. OK, rain, no, but this is more than rain. Looking at NOAA it seems that Monday will be the worst here. But leading up to that we'll be getting some severe weather as well.
I'm sure you're going to secure all your porch furniture too and make sure everything outside is put away. Be safe and remember to take care of yourselves!
I'm thinking of you...after having 2 trees come down here on the house during winds...

Hurricane Ike sans the wind blew thru here in 2008. 70+ mph winds. Blue sky. No rain. The damage was heartbreaking. Especially for the farmers whose crops were close to being harvested...
Stay safe. All of you!~

I've had one cancellation and one postpone their reservation date so far for this weekend. Our daughter starts school on Monday. We'll have to see what the weekend holds.
We're an hour west of Philly and are also happy to accommodate any innkeepers who need to leave their premises.

Alibi Ike said:
Those are from another storm coming from the west. Irene is only grazing Florida right now. Hasn't made landfall in OBX yet.

I've had one cancellation and one postpone their reservation date so far for this weekend. Our daughter starts school on Monday. We'll have to see what the weekend holds.
We're an hour west of Philly and are also happy to accommodate any innkeepers who need to leave their premises..
Aussie Innkeeper said:
We're an hour west of Philly and are also happy to accommodate any innkeepers who need to leave their premises.
We are in Ocean City NJ right now (with bright sunny skies after a day of rain) but leaving tomorrow. Other family members are staying through next week - we're trying to talk them into going to your area for the weekend.

I am 5 hours from DC and have 3 rooms for anyone who wants them. 1 rooms booked for 1 night 8/26 and all are empty after that so come on down. Ike, close shutters if you have them or get some sheets of plywood for your windows. And so there is NO misunderstanding, for anyone scampering out of the way of that irate woman, Irene, the Gillum House is closed, it is the Panek home that is available.

Alibi Ike said:
Those are from another storm coming from the west. Irene is only grazing Florida right now. Hasn't made landfall in OBX yet.
muirford said:
Alibi Ike said:
Yes, I saw that on the news. A different front which should leave here by tomorrow, which should be a nice day!

Alibi Ike said:
muirford said:
Alibi Ike said:
Yes, I saw that on the news. A different front which should leave here by tomorrow, which should be a nice day!
Alibi Ike said:
I think it will be okay here, too - on the Jersey shore - but there is an official evacuation order. Vacationers by 8:00 a.m. tomorrow, the elderly tomorrow afternoon and evening, and residents by Saturday morning. We were due to leave tomorrow anyway. I'm sure the innkeepers here are not happy.

this is amazing. rain tonite, unrelated to the coming storm. as i was going for my daily walk, dodging the rain drops that fell in between pretty blue skies, i was studying the sky ... thinking ... years ago, before all the sophisticated weather forecasts, no wonder these storms were such a devastating surprise. if it was say 50 years ago, there's no way i'd have a hint of what's working its way up toward me. i am not the type to panic, but i am very concerned right on the coast of southern massachusetts.

this is amazing. rain tonite, unrelated to the coming storm. as i was going for my daily walk, dodging the rain drops that fell in between pretty blue skies, i was studying the sky ... thinking ... years ago, before all the sophisticated weather forecasts, no wonder these storms were such a devastating surprise. if it was say 50 years ago, there's no way i'd have a hint of what's working its way up toward me. i am not the type to panic, but i am very concerned right on the coast of southern massachusetts..
seashanty said:
i am not the type to panic, but i am very concerned right on the coast of southern massachusetts.
I am very concerned for you.... stay as safe as you can!

Back