Hypothetical pet acceptance question

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
You take pets & have guests sign a waiver. Guests dog gets out and is hit by a car. If you are in a no fault state, can you stlll be sued?

Anyone can sue you for anything. That said, unless YOU hit the dog, I think the owner of the dog needs to seek compensation from the driver of the car, not your establishment. That does not stop them from saying your driveway was unsafe, speed limits not posted, whatever they want.
My opinion, which counts for naught, is that the owner of the dog was irresponsible for allowing their pet to jump out of their car and run in front of the other car. 'Pets must be under the owner's control at all times.'
If you want to have some real nightmarish fun, consider the driver of the car that hit the dog suing you for emotional distress for allowing pets on the property in the first place.

Anyone can sue you for anything. That said, unless YOU hit the dog, I think the owner of the dog needs to seek compensation from the driver of the car, not your establishment. That does not stop them from saying your driveway was unsafe, speed limits not posted, whatever they want.
My opinion, which counts for naught, is that the owner of the dog was irresponsible for allowing their pet to jump out of their car and run in front of the other car. 'Pets must be under the owner's control at all times.'
If you want to have some real nightmarish fun, consider the driver of the car that hit the dog suing you for emotional distress for allowing pets on the property in the first place..
Morticia said:
If you want to have some real nightmarish fun, consider the driver of the car that hit the dog suing you for emotional distress for allowing pets on the property in the first place.
AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

It is not your responsibility...it is the owners. You were not taking care of their dog. Let them sue the person who hit the dog.. They can try and sue you I guess, but I can't see that standing up in court.

If you want to have some real nightmarish fun, consider the driver of the car that hit the dog suing you for emotional distress for allowing pets on the property in the first place..
Morticia said:
AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Just thought I'd throw that out there while you were considering what the issues might be...
wink_smile.gif

Life is too short to be burdened by such things.
I went deep sea fishing and never signed a waiver or ANY THING. Tipped the first mate, and paid the Capt when we got back in and that was that. It was rough as, anything could have happened out there, this is so so so so so different here than the NE or the West. People assume responsibility and common sense rules. I laughed aloud with all the discussions on this forum about bikes, canoes, etc and went out there and it was "get onboard" and that was that.

Life is too short to be burdened by such things.
I went deep sea fishing and never signed a waiver or ANY THING. Tipped the first mate, and paid the Capt when we got back in and that was that. It was rough as, anything could have happened out there, this is so so so so so different here than the NE or the West. People assume responsibility and common sense rules. I laughed aloud with all the discussions on this forum about bikes, canoes, etc and went out there and it was "get onboard" and that was that..
It's never the commonsensical people we worry about, it's the ones who think everything is someone else's fault. I have a friend who blithely steps off the curb into traffic everyday and says to me, standing on the curb, 'They have to stop, come on.' They are SUPPOSED to stop, but they don't. And being dead but in the right is not what I want my headstone to read! (And yet, I'M the one the car backed into while we were already in the crosswalk and traffic was stopped for us!)

This is the kind of stuff that keeps me awake at night.
Once we had a guest book a cottage with a 'boxer mix' dog.
They got here and lo and behold, its not a boxer mix, but a pit bull.
Fortunately it was a nice tempermented dog. I am sure they felt that if they said it was any type of Pit breed, they would be refused on reputation alone.
Nice as it was, they had the bad habit of leaving the doors to the cottage open and out he would go.
We are in a rural area with all kinds of wild life and deer. I can only imagine the dog (picked up as a stray on the streets of the Bronx) sees a deer, bolts after it, gets in the road etc let your imagination spiral out of control.
This is the stuff that keeps me up at night.

FYI Pit bulls (as much as I personally like them) are BANNED in certain Commonwealth countries. So it is the law, not a personal opinion that they are dangerous, they are called a "dangerous breed."

My godmother turns my hair white with her dog. It is a lovely animal but huge it is bigger than a bull mastif but really soft and because it is a hotel dog it is petted by all her staff and guests but it doesn't understand that some people are a. afraid of dogs or B. afraid of giant dogs and it bounds up to them full belt. It scared the stufing out of our laundry delivery man! lol

This is the kind of stuff that keeps me awake at night.
Once we had a guest book a cottage with a 'boxer mix' dog.
They got here and lo and behold, its not a boxer mix, but a pit bull.
Fortunately it was a nice tempermented dog. I am sure they felt that if they said it was any type of Pit breed, they would be refused on reputation alone.
Nice as it was, they had the bad habit of leaving the doors to the cottage open and out he would go.
We are in a rural area with all kinds of wild life and deer. I can only imagine the dog (picked up as a stray on the streets of the Bronx) sees a deer, bolts after it, gets in the road etc let your imagination spiral out of control.
This is the stuff that keeps me up at night..
A nice pitbull picked up on the streets of the Bronx? That so is not plausible. A pitbull in the Bronx was more than likely a drug-dealer's dog. Well, maybe it was too nice and they just let it go and got one they could train to be nasty.
We specifically state we can't take pit bulls, dobies, shepherds & rotties. People lie and say the they got the dog at the pound and don't know what it is. Yeesh. Gimme a break.
You can't worry about this stuff. If you have issues handle them guest to guest. Like the folks with the open door. Just give them a call or walk over and ask them to please close the door to keep the bugs, critters, nosy neighbors out of their room!

Back