I already don’t like them but I have to be nice. Advice?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBeachHouse

Reaction score
Our association ran a promotion including a raffle for a free night in one of our member inns. The winner made the reservation with us. We have a two night minimum on weekends so they took two nights, one of which they were obligated to pay for. A week before the reservation, they cancelled saying something had come up. But could they do the following week? I found an open day and moved the reservation.

In the meantime, I get an email from another member of our association asking about the promotion. They winner had canceled with me, made a reservation at another inn, then made a separate reservation with us and thought they could use the gift certificate twice! But we talk to each other and they are not getting away with it.

As of now, I have them booked for a Saturday night in two weeks. I want to cancel, but I have an obligation to honor the gift certificate. I’m angry and hurt and don’t know what to do. The plan was to take pictures and put the winner all over social media, but right now, I don’t even want to talk to them.

Did they get a physical gift card? If so, the first inn should take it away from them so they can’t use it again. Whatever inns were involved should keep emailing each other about this couple so they don’t get away with it.

I get how you feel. They seem to be trying to game the system.

Message them that one of the conditions of the drawing is photos of the winners at the inn. You plan to take photos of them at your sign and in the room when they arrive. Have the OTHER inn send them the SAME message. Then watch the fun!

Message them that one of the conditions of the drawing is photos of the winners at the inn. You plan to take photos of them at your sign and in the room when they arrive. Have the OTHER inn send them the SAME message. Then watch the fun!
Hahahahaha

Unknown.jpeg

How about sending them an email advising them that you are aware they have also made reservations elsewhere with the intent of using the certificate. As it is valid for 1 night only, they must make a decision on which inn to use it with. I would also notify the "association" of what is goin on. I highly doubt they will make you honor it if the couple is using their free night elsewhere first.

Update. Instead of a picture of them, I took a picture of the goodies we gave them and emphasized the raffle and prize donations instead of the winner. They came, ate, stayed until five minutes past checkout and didn’t leave a tip. Never again.

Update. Instead of a picture of them, I took a picture of the goodies we gave them and emphasized the raffle and prize donations instead of the winner. They came, ate, stayed until five minutes past checkout and didn’t leave a tip. Never again.
We had one group of guests who stayed for free who we would have had back again. Every other guest who won a stay, or bid on a stay for a charity, or for whatever reason stayed for free was a pest. Mostly rude, demanding, and expecting a lot more free stuff than just the room.

Some invited friends or kids to have breakfast with them. Some stayed over checkout time or showed up hours early. Some trashed the room. The list goes on.

(They’ll all be in my book.)

Back