I am a grammar nerd

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iris

Reaction score
Well now, I have always been pretty self-assured about my English, after all, I speak with a very slight accent and am usually pretty fabulous (LOL) when I speak it. Today I learned something new.
In my cottage descriptions it said, until today, "complimentary" coffee. I wonder how many peeps read that and thought "Oh wow, they have coffee that pays me compliments" or something in that direction.
Ok, I am good now. Carry on and mind your grammar. Have someone proof read - always

Nothing wrong with it, and everybody should know what you mean.
com·pli·men·ta·ry
ˌkämpləˈmen(t)ərē,ˌkämpləˈmentrē/
adjective

given or supplied free of charge.

I agree with Arks. Complimentary has two meanings: one is that someone is expressing nice things about you, saying that you or something about you looks nice (a compliment/to compliment someone); the other (when used as ‘complimentary’) means that something is free of charge or done as an act of courtesy.
You ARE fabulous

com·pli·men·ta·ry
adjective

given or supplied free of charge..
Arks said:
com·pli·men·ta·ry
adjective

given or supplied free of charge.
true, but had I noticed this faux pas on someone else's page, I would have snickered.

I agree with Arks. Complimentary has two meanings: one is that someone is expressing nice things about you, saying that you or something about you looks nice (a compliment/to compliment someone); the other (when used as ‘complimentary’) means that something is free of charge or done as an act of courtesy.
You ARE fabulous.
seashanty said:
You ARE fabulous
As are you :)

What did you change it to?
To what did you change it? (If we're being grammar snobs.)

I used to be a grammar snob, but sometimes it's just too much fun to purposefully make a mistake :)
The mistakes that always grab me are misspellings like "Angle" for "Angel," "loose" for "lose," and oh, boy, my sister's tragically frequent use of the (non) word "irregardless." I say tragic because she always uses it in situations where she is trying to impress her audience with the belief that she is intellectually superior to them.

Back