I am clueless - guest mentions they are on KETO diet

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

witthuus

Reaction score
just got a reservation for next week. They are on a KETO diet and at the same time she orders our German Brotzeit

1602517414498.png

We have no idea what they may or may not eat with a KETO diet. Does anybody know ? Thank you

If you are really going to cater to what fad diet they claim to be following, ask them what they can’t eat or what they do eat.

Some vegan guests hate vegetables. It’s better to ask the guest. I always have to look up different diets, can’t keep them in my head.

PS — that platter looks yum!

I believe the Keto diet requires elimination of all starchy carbs...no bread, pasta, rice, potato, squash, sugar etc. heavy on the meat, non-starchy veggies and some fruits. But, as Mort suggests, it’s always good to ask what they do eat. That platter looks perfect, except for the bread...very “Keto friendly”

This question is right on time for me, I have a guest here for 7 days, a friend actually, with her husband -they’re also “Keto”, and she’s also no “FODMAPS”. I’m going nuts trying to figure out what to feed her besides egg dish derivatives and bacon/sausage combos. I’d like to be more creative. I went out to get Almond flour to Make Keto friendly baked goods today, but then got slammed with a migraine. No clue what to make tomorrow. Maybe a frittata with cheese? Other ideas out there? Help!

If your guest is a friend ask her for help. That might also train her to not think everyone knows what all these stupid acronyms stand for. Plus, they know they have put themselves in a narrow food group. So, mix up whatever egg dishes you have with different acceptable veggies and meats and that’s all you can do. If you then have seven different versions of the same thing it will stand you in good stead for everyone else. (You’ll gather I have problems with fad diets. The quick answer to ‘why’ is because these same guests will be in raptures about eating the forbidden foods for lunch and dinner.)

Every time I try to make food plans around a single guest’s diet it doesn’t work out well. Today was an exception. We had a vegan breakfast that everyone enjoyed. Plate-licking was imminent. But, that doesn’t often happen.

Hahahahahahahaha. I looked it up. Now I’m even more confused!

FODMAP = Fermentable Oligosaccharides, Disaccharides, Monosaccharides and Polyols

I’d have to respond, “I don’t know what that means, you will have to give me a list.”

got another one just now

"Quail" - googled it and it says they like insects o_Oo_O We have a lot of stinkbugs right now - that'll take care of it ;):ROFLMAO:

A lot to be said for Buffet service, or from a menu of options and then they can just help themselves or tell you from your menu what they want.

I’m on KETO .... It’s low carb, moderate protein, high healthy fat like avocado. Eggs meats and cheeses are great. I NEVER expect someone or someplace to cater to my diet and I don't mention it. Some big places have keto options on their menus, looks like you have a menu? Mostly, I just eat what I can from what’s available.

got another one just now

"Quail" - googled it and it says they like insects o_Oo_O We have a lot of stinkbugs right now - that'll take care of it ;):ROFLMAO:
Geez, what is it with the stink bugs??? (BTW, a fairly new phenomenon where I live. Maybe 2-3 years.) Every time I open one of the outside doors they fall on me. Ewww! I was sitting outside yesterday and they kept buzzing me. Bad enough when they do that in the house.

Hahahahahahahaha. I looked it up. Now I’m even more confused!

FODMAP = Fermentable Oligosaccharides, Disaccharides, Monosaccharides and Polyols

I’d have to respond, “I don’t know what that means, you will have to give me a list.”
That’s it! Exactly. My “avoids” chalkboard in the kitchen wound up containing: mushrooms, onions, wheat, milk, sour cream, cream cheese, peaches, watermelon, sugar, beans, potatoes, shallots, apples & asparagus. I probably missed a few. That said, I’ve taken Morts suggestions and others here, and cobbled together an eggy main course (glorified frittata) with buffet-ish fruit choice starter from non-fodmap forbidden fruits. Skipped making keto friendly baked goods bc had no almond flour on hand and due to above mentioned migraine. Just wasn’t happening. She was pleased that we made the effort and that she had “safe” food to eat. She truly does wind up in major stomach distress when she “cheats” and is pretty strict about it all day. I agree though that generally, it might drive me around the bend to plan breakfasts around various food sensitivities on a regular basis....migraines might become permanent lol.

The lovely vegan guests offered to go out for breakfast. We can do three vegan breakfasts then we’re done. Everyone else ate them and didn’t know.

I have told guests we can’t cater to specific diets and then I recommend they stay with someone else in town who is a trained chef who can whip things up from whatever is in the kitchen.

I’m not one of those people who ‘rises to the challenge.’

I am a trained chef but still grow tired of all the fad diets that have nothing to do with allergies or health related diet restrictions. I try to accommodate within reason but...a couple of weeks ago a couple checked in and informed me that they ONLY eat meat! No cheese, no dairy, no veg or fruit of any kind. That will drive up the cost of breakfast exponentially! They only stayed three days but ended up leaving their room as filthy as any guest I have ever hosted. I stock a guest refrigerator with flavored carbonated waters and they took every can with them when they checked out. 😡 They burned candles and left melted wax all over the room (not allowed as we are too far from the fire dept. to save the house in the event of a fire) and left :poop: on the towels.🤯
In twenty years, I can count on one hand the number of guests I would not rebook and these people are at the top of the list.
I guess this turned into a vent...sorry, but thanks for listening.😩

I was grateful when the husband (who made the rez) told me his wife was GF by choice. I made a loaf of GF bread and a batch of GF muffins but did not worry about cross-contamination as I would have if she was Celiac. They were happy with what I did. (I made a loaf of my whole wheat bread for his sandwiches & toast)

just got a reservation for next week. They are on a KETO diet and at the same time she orders our German Brotzeit

View attachment 46

We have no idea what they may or may not eat with a KETO diet. Does anybody know ? Thank you
No carbs, that looks great minus crackers. Boiled egg would be good on it.

This question is right on time for me, I have a guest here for 7 days, a friend actually, with her husband -they’re also “Keto”, and she’s also no “FODMAPS”. I’m going nuts trying to figure out what to feed her besides egg dish derivatives and bacon/sausage combos. I’d like to be more creative. I went out to get Almond flour to Make Keto friendly baked goods today, but then got slammed with a migraine. No clue what to make tomorrow. Maybe a frittata with cheese? OtheAr ideas out there? Help!
Almond flour pancakes are good with bacon.

After my mini vacay at Thanksgiving, I am going to have a much better attitude about the "I can't eat this" and "I don't like (fill in the blank)" Guests beware: this is one grumpy ol' innkeeper!

I am a trained chef but still grow tired of all the fad diets that have nothing to do with allergies or health related diet restrictions. I try to accommodate within reason but...a couple of weeks ago a couple checked in and informed me that they ONLY eat meat! No cheese, no dairy, no veg or fruit of any kind. That will drive up the cost of breakfast exponentially! They only stayed three days but ended up leaving their room as filthy as any guest I have ever hosted. I stock a guest refrigerator with flavored carbonated waters and they took every can with them when they checked out. 😡 They burned candles and left melted wax all over the room (not allowed as we are too far from the fire dept. to save the house in the event of a fire) and left :poop: on the towels.🤯
In twenty years, I can count on one hand the number of guests I would not rebook and these people are at the top of the list.
I guess this turned into a vent...sorry, but thanks for listening.😩
I forgot the best part: The brought in take-out for dinner and then got down on their hands and knees and got into my china buffet and used my grandmother's fine china. AFTERWARDS she calls me on the phone and asks me what she should do with the dirty dishes! Oy!

Back