I am just picky

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
This is a box we need to have to select on reservations. Food allergies. Picky.
I can't eat this I won't eat this, basically I am just picky.
She said she just eats oatmeal. But guys, you know how it is, this is a B&B, we can't just serve you oatmeal. Well she asked for a glass of milk and made her oatmeal. Left the fruit and all the rest I made up as a special meal for her.
I am not upset, it is just the way it is. Some people are just picky. I guess I should listen to them. I just didn't want her at the table eating a bowl of oatmeal with everyone else having a lovely meal.

I had that this weekend. Guest is a vegan. She wanted oatmeal. I gave her a selection of instant oatmeal. I assume she was happy with it. She said she was coming back 'same time next year.'

Can we have one that says, "I'm just a PITA!"?
tounge_smile.gif

I have a lady who comes often who just wants oatmeal with the bleuberries I put in a dish at the side. She also gets the fruit and muffins and juices, but wants the oatmeal with blueberries as her entree.

I have a lady who comes often who just wants oatmeal with the bleuberries I put in a dish at the side. She also gets the fruit and muffins and juices, but wants the oatmeal with blueberries as her entree..
i had two oatmeal guests who declined instant oatmeal. with shivers and shrugs. i have the regular oatmeal you cook in the pan, and that's what they wanted. they had to wait a while for it to be ready.

I have a lady who comes often who just wants oatmeal with the bleuberries I put in a dish at the side. She also gets the fruit and muffins and juices, but wants the oatmeal with blueberries as her entree..
i had two oatmeal guests who declined instant oatmeal. with shivers and shrugs. i have the regular oatmeal you cook in the pan, and that's what they wanted. they had to wait a while for it to be ready.
seashanty said:
Yeah, like cooking oatmeal in a pan is gonna happen here. Not. This is where I do JBJ's breakfast...take it or leave it.

It doesn't take that long to make oatmeal. It is one of our favorites as well..but for me...only in the winter. Too hot for summer breakfast.

It doesn't take that long to make oatmeal. It is one of our favorites as well..but for me...only in the winter. Too hot for summer breakfast.
catlady said:
It's the mess. It's the whole 'I can't eat this, make me something special that is inconvenient for everyone' scenario. I don't know how SS does it by herself with more rooms, I really don't!

catlady said:
It's the mess. It's the whole 'I can't eat this, make me something special that is inconvenient for everyone' scenario. I don't know how SS does it by herself with more rooms, I really don't!
If I knew in advance I would try to accommodate. IF not..they get the prepackaged or nothing!

catlady said:
If I knew in advance I would try to accommodate. IF not..they get the prepackaged or nothing!
catlady said:
You know, we did know the oatmeal in advance. When they got here, tho, there was a back and forth on whether or not they would all have the quiche. So when did they tell us? Left a note that hubs found at 6 AM. A bit late as all the prep work happens at night. The other thing is, hubs is not good at coordinating meals to come out at the same time. So, cooking the oatmeal for her while making toast for the others and getting sausage cooked for the next table while trying to cut up the quiche, well, let's just say, 'not a pretty sight.' And I've got half the counter taken up pouring juice and putting together 'jam pots'. I try not to stress him when I have to stand a foot away with sharp knives all around.
wink_smile.gif

It's the sheer number of guests. And the idea that once someone sees that there is something 'different' to be had, then all hell breaks loose.
Today, I had to specifically say to a guest, 'We can make this or that for you (dietary restriction), but everyone else gets what they get,' just to avoid someone else saying, 'Oh, good, I'll have that, too.'

catlady said:
catlady said:
You know, we did know the oatmeal in advance. When they got here, tho, there was a back and forth on whether or not they would all have the quiche. So when did they tell us? Left a note that hubs found at 6 AM. A bit late as all the prep work happens at night. The other thing is, hubs is not good at coordinating meals to come out at the same time. So, cooking the oatmeal for her while making toast for the others and getting sausage cooked for the next table while trying to cut up the quiche, well, let's just say, 'not a pretty sight.' And I've got half the counter taken up pouring juice and putting together 'jam pots'. I try not to stress him when I have to stand a foot away with sharp knives all around.
wink_smile.gif

It's the sheer number of guests. And the idea that once someone sees that there is something 'different' to be had, then all hell breaks loose.
Today, I had to specifically say to a guest, 'We can make this or that for you (dietary restriction), but everyone else gets what they get,' just to avoid someone else saying, 'Oh, good, I'll have that, too.'
Yep, i understand and give your kitchen situation with guests right there.

catlady said:
catlady said:
wink_smile.gif

Doesn't it make you wonder, if they have children, which many of them do, do they cook a different dinner for each one of them, because Johnny doesn't like this and Mary doesn't like that? Give me a break!
I had a guest who had a farm and had like 5 kids, she said they got what's put in front of them, if they are hungry, they eat, if not, too bad.
She was not a picky guest.
The ones that get me are the ones who say, when you have a full house, of course, "Oh, don't go to any trouble for me, I'll just have....." when that entire special order is just a PITA plate, 'cause now you have to make ANOTHER completely different breakfast on top of the one you've planned for your full house!
There's one for the dictionary: PITA plate

catlady said:
catlady said:
wink_smile.gif

Doesn't it make you wonder, if they have children, which many of them do, do they cook a different dinner for each one of them, because Johnny doesn't like this and Mary doesn't like that? Give me a break!
I had a guest who had a farm and had like 5 kids, she said they got what's put in front of them, if they are hungry, they eat, if not, too bad.
The ones that get me are the ones who say, when you have a full house, of course, "Oh, don't go to any trouble for me, I'll just have....." when that entire special order is just a PITA plate, 'cause now you have to make ANOTHER completely different breakfast on top of the one you've planned for your full house!
I know it is unbelievable, but many of them do just that. Each kid gets what they want for meals. Did not happen in my house but then again, I was a dinosaur who said no and meant it and had rules (that they managed to circumvent) that were mostly kept. Hearing some of the young ones talk makes me shake my head. But I do believe kids are getting better. We may have turned the corner on the undisciplined. An amazing number of young people have been moving to hold doors open for DH even though he is slower than mollasses in January - they wait patiently!

catlady said:
catlady said:
wink_smile.gif

inncogneeto said:
You are such a good MOM that you do not have a clue! (I mean this in a really good way).
Of course they each have their own different dinner - that is what drive thru windows specialize in.
sad_smile.gif

Cook a meal for their family, now THAT is funny! They have plenty of excuses, soccer, baseball, cheerleading, no time to cook.

catlady said:
catlady said:
wink_smile.gif

I know it is unbelievable, but many of them do just that. Each kid gets what they want for meals. Did not happen in my house but then again, I was a dinosaur who said no and meant it and had rules (that they managed to circumvent) that were mostly kept. Hearing some of the young ones talk makes me shake my head. But I do believe kids are getting better. We may have turned the corner on the undisciplined. An amazing number of young people have been moving to hold doors open for DH even though he is slower than mollasses in January - they wait patiently!
gillumhouse said:
The editor of our town paper writes little articles on life growin up, like eating beans and corn bread. He said in one article once that he caught himself cooking diff meals for his kids and stopped it. He thought back to his mother working hard to put ANYTHING on the table.
His example as Mom is frying the pork fat for the corn bread. "Oh Mother, thanks for the corn bread and all, but don't bother, I will just have a cheeseburger."
He said, he would expect his mother to turn around with cast iron pan in hand and GIVE HIM A CHEESEBURGER right across the chops!

catlady said:
catlady said:
wink_smile.gif

gillumhouse said:
The editor of our town paper writes little articles on life growin up, like eating beans and corn bread. He said in one article once that he caught himself cooking diff meals for his kids and stopped it. He thought back to his mother working hard to put ANYTHING on the table.
His example as Mom is frying the pork fat for the corn bread. "Oh Mother, thanks for the corn bread and all, but don't bother, I will just have a cheeseburger."
He said, he would expect his mother to turn around with cast iron pan in hand and GIVE HIM A CHEESEBURGER right across the chops!
Where did he meet my Mother?
Actually, she was very lenient. If we did not like what she put in front of us for breakfast she took it away - no argument. Oh, there was nothing else, sorry.
Lunch time - geez, there is the slop from breakfast! Don't like it? No problem and it goes away. Oh sorry, there is nothing else.
Dinner time - Boy! does that slop look good!! Yummy!!

catlady said:
catlady said:
wink_smile.gif

gillumhouse said:
Actually, she was very lenient. If we did not like what she put in front of us for breakfast she took it away - no argument. Oh, there was nothing else, sorry.
Lunch time - geez, there is the slop from breakfast! Don't like it? No problem and it goes away. Oh sorry, there is nothing else.
Dinner time - Boy! does that slop look good!! Yummy!!
gillumhouse said:
My older sister told me not to be offended when my niece refuses to eat anything I make this summer. I told her I won't be, cuz she will eat it. "She is very picky, she won't eat anything" Does that include s'mores? Funny how picky kids always like s'mores. I replied.
I have a beautiful photo of her eating cauliflower "about to throw up." She said if she ate it she would barf, so I said I would love to see that! I will go get the camera!
Meanwhile, fyi whenever we ate and Mom was there - she would tell DD you don't want that, you don't like it. So she was told all the time what she doesn't like and won't eat.
Alone with Aunt JBJ she ate EVERYTHING put before her. She unloaded groceries and pulled her own weight (even being 8 yrs old) and had the best time of her life! Kids actually like boundaries, they respond to discipline and helping out is one of their favorite things to do! Gives US a chance to give them credit and encouragement for something good. Not falsely either.
teeth_smile.gif

It was getting to skinny to read,
Kids actually like boundaries, they respond to discipline and helping out is one of their favorite things to do! Gives US a chance to give them credit and encouragement for something good. Not falsely either.
teeth_smile.gif

Yes, most of the ime, picky kids are trying to no make liars out of Mom. As for boundaries - they want to know what they are so they can push them. It is no fun to push if there are no boundaries.
I used to tell the class bozo as we left for a field trip, YOU are MINE! When our son told us the teacher let the kids choose the chaperone for the last field trip I stated that mine was probably the last one filled. He replied, No, your's was the first one filled and you have one extra because someone begged to be in your group. They want boundaries.

catlady said:
catlady said:
wink_smile.gif

inncogneeto said:
You are such a good MOM that you do not have a clue! (I mean this in a really good way).
Of course they each have their own different dinner - that is what drive thru windows specialize in.
sad_smile.gif

Cook a meal for their family, now THAT is funny! They have plenty of excuses, soccer, baseball, cheerleading, no time to cook.
No, my response is, don't like what I made? Make your own dinner...
pause...
fork to plate.
You're right about the fast food...I try to make dinner at least 5x a week... then have pizza night and eat out night...
I don't keep a soccer mom schedule, I'm nuts enough as it is, and my kids are just fine! Funny how that works!

Had a guest this weekend who said they ate everything and then said, "Maybe I'm pickier than I thought!" Didn't like French Toast because of bread and eggs mixed together, but she did sample some from another member of their party. It was no big deal to scrambled up some eggs and throw some whole grain bread into the toaster. Made the guest happy :) But it does throw my timing off a little in the morning!!

Back