I am officially a crazy person!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey Camb

Reaction score
This is why - monday through friday of last week had window people in whole new front on my building now (looks excellent now) but it was a ruddy nightmare as each window came out a ton of muck came out everywhere and coated everything. despite my telling the window men several times they faile d to process that everything had to be done by 12 on friday as had a full house comming in. windows were sooo not finished had to come back today and finish up some of the outside stuff till 2pm today. its still not completely finished but they have to work with the roofer on the 22nd. Ive got the decorator in for room 8 started sunday and had all the downstairs carpets steam cleaned today and they look really great. its been bonkers. men and workmen everywhere mess all over. have cleaned everything everywhere about 3 times feel like ive lost my mind. Also on top of this have had a full house in friday and saturday nights who were all one group and left mess everywhere all the time. Im just flumped!

closed out monday and tuesday just have one room plus the decorator who stays with us while working so as to be more efficient. Back to the zoo on wednesday!

OK. Forgive me for asking this, if the difference between the US and the UK is such that the question doesn't make sense, but don't you have completion guarantees with your contractors? If they say that they will complete their work by a certain day and the work isn't done, do you have recourse? Monetary penalties? Torture devices set up in your basement? 10% discounts for labor and materials for each day the work is not completed after the guarantee date?

OK. Forgive me for asking this, if the difference between the US and the UK is such that the question doesn't make sense, but don't you have completion guarantees with your contractors? If they say that they will complete their work by a certain day and the work isn't done, do you have recourse? Monetary penalties? Torture devices set up in your basement? 10% discounts for labor and materials for each day the work is not completed after the guarantee date?.
yup we do but it doesnt always get them finished on time!

OK. Forgive me for asking this, if the difference between the US and the UK is such that the question doesn't make sense, but don't you have completion guarantees with your contractors? If they say that they will complete their work by a certain day and the work isn't done, do you have recourse? Monetary penalties? Torture devices set up in your basement? 10% discounts for labor and materials for each day the work is not completed after the guarantee date?.
HighMountainLodge said:
OK. Forgive me for asking this, if the difference between the US and the UK is such that the question doesn't make sense, but don't you have completion guarantees with your contractors? If they say that they will complete their work by a certain day and the work isn't done, do you have recourse? Monetary penalties? Torture devices set up in your basement? 10% discounts for labor and materials for each day the work is not completed after the guarantee date?
Are you sure? We need a show up guarantee. We have given deposit to our plumber and it's been three weeks and he has only done 1/2 day of the three day job. He had to price another job, had to go to the dentist, had an emergency.....
Riki

My sister lives in Ireland, and it is beyond a joke trying to get any job completed there, even with word of mouth contractors. Beyond. So no, it is not the same as the USA. In this "economy" everywhere, you would think people would get the job done to get paid! Alas, that is not reality anymore.

HighMountainLodge said:
Are you sure? We need a show up guarantee. We have given deposit to our plumber and it's been three weeks and he has only done 1/2 day of the three day job. He had to price another job, had to go to the dentist, had an emergency.....
Riki
And if your project happens to coincide with the first day of...(whatever season- hunting, fishing, baseball, football, hockey) or the playoffs for... or the finals for....

Just about back to normal chaps doing the gutters, facias and re-roofing the tops of the bay windows finished another job a bit early so came and did all the gutters today. so thats ahead of schedule all windows except the but that joins the tops of the windows to the roof part needs doing now and that has to be done in conjunction with the roofers. so thats friday and monday. Remus my handyman has resealed all round the bathroom of room 5.

HighMountainLodge said:
Riki
Oy, I hear you! Even when you find someone that you thought you could rely on here, it's a struggle. I've used the same painter for years here and it took FOREVER to get the work done on the front of our house. (And there are still things to be finished/touched up on that.) All the while he was moaning about the lack of work and how he had to take a part-time job working at a grocery store to make ends meet. Then, it was the weather, or a family emergency, and on & on... Doesn't stop them from wanting partial payments for the job though.
He was supposed to be back yesterday to start work on the West side of the house and I haven't heard a peep. I will have to call him.
Yes, this is one of the better contractors here, no kidding. Give me strength....

Just about back to normal chaps doing the gutters, facias and re-roofing the tops of the bay windows finished another job a bit early so came and did all the gutters today. so thats ahead of schedule all windows except the but that joins the tops of the windows to the roof part needs doing now and that has to be done in conjunction with the roofers. so thats friday and monday. Remus my handyman has resealed all round the bathroom of room 5..
Yay! Glad the work is coming together.
I couldn't get a gutter company out here for a small job replacing what got damaged when the tree hit the house. My dh is going to enlist the aid of a neighbor to do it himself when it cools off a bit here. When it's 100F with high humidity, it's not fun to be up on the roof!!!

Sounds like you're in the middle of a whirlwind! Such a great job you've been doing to fix the place up.

Glad things are coming together...
And as officially being a crazy person... glad to have you join me in this tight circle! When everyone knows you are crazy they let lots of things go by! hehehe

HighMountainLodge said:
Riki
egoodell said:
HighMountainLodge said:
Riki
Or a friend needed to get a roof on his place (a freebie job when I am PAYING to have mine done)

HighMountainLodge said:
Riki
egoodell said:
HighMountainLodge said:
Riki
Or a friend needed to get a roof on his place (a freebie job when I am PAYING to have mine done)
To be fair i have built a good team but as with everything there is always a snagg - Paul my decorator is excellent and cheap but because of this he is busy, window men - snagg don't seem to communicate beween men on the ground and boss very well, remus my handyman carpet fitter, geneal jobs and quite a bit of plumbing (great in an emergency) and speaks good english but works monday to friday 9-5 so its getting hold of him. (you can't get english handy men its really wierd or they charge about £$80 an hour. Castus - does all of the above and is usually avaliable as works for my godmother round the corner but doesn't speak much english at all so i have to translate through my chamber maid which can be hard work but on bigger jobs works with remus as he is his brother in law. Plus castus lives 5 mins walk away and remus has his own car so can go get parts and things. I am currently short an electrician as mine has gone back to lituania but I am sure I will find one. Got a good roofer/guttering chap called Adrian who is easy to get along with and actually came 3 days early! Oh and I have a good carpet chap as well called gavin who we have known for years and has now opened his own shop so we always get our carpet from him as he does us a discount and we send him everyone to help him get on his feet as he bought a franchise and has only been doing it a year.

HighMountainLodge said:
Riki
egoodell said:
HighMountainLodge said:
Riki
To be fair i have built a good team but as with everything there is always a snagg - Paul my decorator is excellent and cheap but because of this he is busy, window men - snagg don't seem to communicate beween men on the ground and boss very well, remus my handyman carpet fitter, geneal jobs and quite a bit of plumbing (great in an emergency) and speaks good english but works monday to friday 9-5 so its getting hold of him. (you can't get english handy men its really wierd or they charge about £$80 an hour. Castus - does all of the above and is usually avaliable as works for my godmother round the corner but doesn't speak much english at all so i have to translate through my chamber maid which can be hard work but on bigger jobs works with remus as he is his brother in law. Plus castus lives 5 mins walk away and remus has his own car so can go get parts and things. I am currently short an electrician as mine has gone back to lituania but I am sure I will find one. Got a good roofer/guttering chap called Adrian who is easy to get along with and actually came 3 days early! Oh and I have a good carpet chap as well called gavin who we have known for years and has now opened his own shop so we always get our carpet from him as he does us a discount and we send him everyone to help him get on his feet as he bought a franchise and has only been doing it a year.
What a network! I am totally impressed!

HighMountainLodge said:
Riki
egoodell said:
HighMountainLodge said:
Riki
What a network! I am totally impressed!
Im just gutted my handyman plus electrician went back to lituania to run his brothers marketing company. so Im short a electrician to make a full set!

Back