I am SO TIRED of being threatened!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Draper

Reaction score
Do they really think this tone is going to get them anywhere??? It's been my few weeks for this nonsense, I certainly hope I'm using up my quota for the entire year.
This email came from a woman who cancelled her reservation less than 24 hours out (and yes, this was another of the pre-paid nights, which I am NEVER doing again!!!). She said they had a medical emergency so I offered to let her change the stay to next week (next week is when the discounted rate period ends). The confirmation clearly states that cancellations within 7 days are non-refundable, but she thought this would help:
We do understand that you have a "no refund" policy. However, as we are nearly "neighbors" in Blahville, Your Town would be a great destination for our other friends and neighbors. With your accommodation of our request, we will be glad to mention your help in this very difficult time.

Guess what? You don't need their friends knowing they can cancel whenever they want. And they'll tell way fewer friends in Blahville that you were accommodating than they will that you stuck to your policy. And, as we all know, locals rarely stay local. You offered a lovely compromise by giving them an extra week to get there. THAT they will tell no one.

Sounds like my cancellation from a town 45 minutes away where they wanted to option to cancel the Friday of Labor Day Weekend because their "grandmother might die"
RIki

Another with the rules don't apply to me syndrome. I agree, you don't need this PITA or their friends, which of course they wouldn't send to you anyway. Bottom-feeders for sure.
This brings me to wonder, with on-line bookings, is there any way to block known PITA's from re-booking? Can this legally be done--do you TELL them? PO had a mark on names not allowed again....

Another with the rules don't apply to me syndrome. I agree, you don't need this PITA or their friends, which of course they wouldn't send to you anyway. Bottom-feeders for sure.
This brings me to wonder, with on-line bookings, is there any way to block known PITA's from re-booking? Can this legally be done--do you TELL them? PO had a mark on names not allowed again.....
a built in block? wonder if that's possible, too

Sorry dude. Always a turkey to ruin the day!!
I had a lady who booked two rooms for 4 nights pull this stunt, was understanding and then called back to give me the "We plan to come and visit next year though...so...." This ain't my first rodeo lady.
White Pine, fortunately these type guests won't rebook, so we usually don't have that worry.

I'm letting it roll off my back, today's my bday and I ain't gonna let the turkeys get me down!! We have the NICEST return guests in the world here, checking out after two great days. I'm grateful that THIS is who is in my house and not Lady Condescendington
tounge_smile.gif

I had a lady who booked two rooms for 4 nights pull this stunt, was understanding and then called back to give me the "We plan to come and visit next year though...so...." This ain't my first rodeo lady.
White Pine, fortunately these type guests won't rebook, so we usually don't have that worry..
Yes, I doubt these folks would try again, but I was thinking about PITA's that do. I know there are some whose money is just not enough to have to deal with them....

I'm letting it roll off my back, today's my bday and I ain't gonna let the turkeys get me down!! We have the NICEST return guests in the world here, checking out after two great days. I'm grateful that THIS is who is in my house and not Lady Condescendington
tounge_smile.gif
HAPPY DAY TO YOU OL' DON OL' CHAP!
I KNOW WHERE YOU ARE AND I HOPE THE SUN IS SHINING. THIS IS A NEW YEAR FOR YOU, MAY IT BE THE BEST ONE YET!
cheers.gif

Did you ask her to send you a medical certificate? The medical reason is usually such an easy bluff for people. Getting a medical certificate faxed directly from the doctor... not so easy. In any case, I would have charged, issued a n/c gift certificate for the value with an expiration date and conditions that made it extremely difficult to use. A lot less objectionable to let the gift certificate expire in all it's quiet wonder than to get into a fight about it.

Did you ask her to send you a medical certificate? The medical reason is usually such an easy bluff for people. Getting a medical certificate faxed directly from the doctor... not so easy. In any case, I would have charged, issued a n/c gift certificate for the value with an expiration date and conditions that made it extremely difficult to use. A lot less objectionable to let the gift certificate expire in all it's quiet wonder than to get into a fight about it..
I might have done this if it was a full rate, in-season thing but this was a deeply discounted package they purchased, one of the requirements of which was agreement to the cancellation policy and pre-payment. Caveat emptor and all that...
We no longer issue GC's because of a few bad apples who've taken advantage of it, rebooking and re-cancelling with the GC. If it is a true medical emergency (which I do NOT believe it was, based on her attitude) they can always go through their credit card and try to get a refund.

This brings me to wonder, with on-line bookings, is there any way to block known PITA's from re-booking? Can this legally be done--do you TELL them? PO had a mark on names not allowed again.....
white pine said:
This brings me to wonder, with on-line bookings, is there any way to block known PITA's from re-booking? Can this legally be done--do you TELL them? PO had a mark on names not allowed again....
So far I haven't found a way to block online bookings from unwanted guests. But, when a rez shows up, if the system recognizes the name it will put a little star next to it so I can look at similar names. In my own notes I fill in the guests 'middle name' as 'do not rebook'.
But, if they use someone else's name that won't work. Frankly, I would honestly tell them that it didn't seem as if they were happy the last time they were here so here are some suggestions for other places to go. Most unhappy guests will never rebook anyway. And it's the rare guest who makes us miserable who would want to come back! (Yes, there are a few. We decide if we want to grin and bear it or not.)

White Pine, fortunately these type guests won't rebook, so we usually don't have that worry..
Yes, I doubt these folks would try again, but I was thinking about PITA's that do. I know there are some whose money is just not enough to have to deal with them....
white pine said:
You'll need to weigh each one of those (few and far between) on an individual basis. The ones who are destructive are a definite no, but the ones who just time suck can be fended off with 'appointments'. There are ones who are just rude but you always end up feeling sorry for the spouse who you know has to live with this all the time and who will get grief if anything is not exactly right so you (we) let them rebook year after year to save the spouse the grief.
Then again, there are those who have been booted out of every other lodging in town who, for some unknown reason, FINALLY got it and behaved at your place.

anyone who knows a doctor can get a medical cert then you WILL BE OBLIGED TO REFUND
Kill them with kindness. "I do understand you are going through a difficult time however as a small business I depend on guaranteed bookings and am certain you appreciate that losing x percentage of my business is not easy and unfortunately was unable to resell them room, in which case I would have gladly made the refund"
Then you leave it at that and keep all your backup and make notes in anticipation of your chargeback

tounge_smile.gif
wink_smile.gif

Sorry they were gimps! I have had a kind of weird opposite day. We have 12 rooms and last night 6 were booked by one company and 6 by another so was really chuffed (turns out that they are subdivisions of the same company and all knew each other) however when one half checked in they told me there was going to be only 5 so popped up the vacancy sign (those 6 pre paid) and then 5 more checked in about 6pm the last one had not appeared so popped up to ask them when he would be appearing "we have seen him accross the road at the conference but we will bob him a text" well in the end he never turned up so asked room 7 and 4 who were in the same group about paying for him and they actually argued to get to pay! it was quite surreal but they get points on their credit card so want to use it and they get it back as an expense anyway! They were very jolly and had several pots of tea and out of the 10 only one had breakfast (they had told me to only expect 2 of them and 1 didn't feel well) so saved on food as well. all in all very odd.

Did you ask her to send you a medical certificate? The medical reason is usually such an easy bluff for people. Getting a medical certificate faxed directly from the doctor... not so easy. In any case, I would have charged, issued a n/c gift certificate for the value with an expiration date and conditions that made it extremely difficult to use. A lot less objectionable to let the gift certificate expire in all it's quiet wonder than to get into a fight about it..
I might have done this if it was a full rate, in-season thing but this was a deeply discounted package they purchased, one of the requirements of which was agreement to the cancellation policy and pre-payment. Caveat emptor and all that...
We no longer issue GC's because of a few bad apples who've taken advantage of it, rebooking and re-cancelling with the GC. If it is a true medical emergency (which I do NOT believe it was, based on her attitude) they can always go through their credit card and try to get a refund.
I would have requested the medical form simply because the hassle of producing one, faxed directly from the medical office is something that they most likely could never have done. It's just so easy to say or write but much more difficult to actually do and they likely would say that they would, but never actually do it. (Especially when you say that it must be faxed directly, because the doctors will insist on being paid to do this, plus their time to go to the doctor, etc.)
All my GC are always in dollar amounts and not specific on packages, since people will usually increase their spend with the GC, since they don't think of it as really being money. Secondly, all my "free" GC state that they can be used only for the payment of accomodation, not for fees (including cancellation fees) or taxes. In some cases, it goes down to the point of writing on it that it can be used only from this date to that date, with all local and national holidays excluded. Heck, you could make it Sunday to Thursday. They most likely will never use it. In their mind, you have given them something and they will just let it expire. I've yet to see one come back to be used.

I would have requested the medical form simply because the hassle of producing one, faxed directly from the medical office is something that they most likely could never have done. It's just so easy to say or write but much more difficult to actually do and they likely would say that they would, but never actually do it. (Especially when you say that it must be faxed directly, because the doctors will insist on being paid to do this, plus their time to go to the doctor, etc.)
All my GC are always in dollar amounts and not specific on packages, since people will usually increase their spend with the GC, since they don't think of it as really being money. Secondly, all my "free" GC state that they can be used only for the payment of accomodation, not for fees (including cancellation fees) or taxes. In some cases, it goes down to the point of writing on it that it can be used only from this date to that date, with all local and national holidays excluded. Heck, you could make it Sunday to Thursday. They most likely will never use it. In their mind, you have given them something and they will just let it expire. I've yet to see one come back to be used.
GBManor said:
All my GC are always in dollar amounts and not specific on packages, since people will usually increase their spend with the GC, since they don't think of it as really being money.
Tangent alert!!! Do you do anything specific to get upsell from a GC user? I find they book the room that comes closest to the $ amount on the GC and get tetchy if they owe me a few dollars. So, definitely not seeing any upsell in buying packages to add on.

GBManor said:
All my GC are always in dollar amounts and not specific on packages, since people will usually increase their spend with the GC, since they don't think of it as really being money.
Tangent alert!!! Do you do anything specific to get upsell from a GC user? I find they book the room that comes closest to the $ amount on the GC and get tetchy if they owe me a few dollars. So, definitely not seeing any upsell in buying packages to add on.
Alibi Ike said:
GBManor said:
I would also like to know as gc recips usually pick a room that is UNDER the gc dollar amount, not over.

GBManor said:
Alibi Ike said:
GBManor said:
It depends on who and when.... my GC are for amounts, never specific to room or package. I have a two night minimum most of the year and often the GC covers only one night. If the promo amount is for $92 (from a cancellation) and it's only good for the accomodations, they will have to put out 17.912375% for the taxes in any case. They always have to pay part of it, unless it's a purchased GC.
When I get a third party GC, I have only had one time where they have left with a balance and it was a high amount GC. A GC for $100 just isn't going to cover anything in the summer, when my occupancy hits 99%. Those who have been to the B&B usually want one of the three most expensive rooms. My smallest rooms are popular in the winter... where I get more budget conscious visitors, but in the summer, it's exactly the opposite. Haven't had one complain yet, when having to pay me the difference. And I have to deal with exchange rates as well. My personal GCs are in CAD$, as our my rates. Sometimes guests from the US purchase them. I process in CAD and they get their bill in USD with the 3% exchange charge. Just part of the game and they see that I charged exactly CAD$200 on their bill.
Incidentally, in Quebec, if the amount left on the GC is less than $5, you must refund in cash the amount left on the card. But the law only pertains to "pre-paid" cards, those purchased in exchange for money. Promotional cards don't have a value, so they want to use them all, lest they lose them.
I've tried packages, they just don't work for me.

Back