I cancel you cancel we cancel

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Two rooms are meeting half way here at this B&B on the weekend, it is also a very popular weekend due to a huge wine festival, we have a two night minimum.
She calls during breakfast today and I return her call. His sister died, she just got home he won't be home til the end of the week. She goes into the gory details, all of them, I suppose for shock value. I listen and say nothing. Then I say I am sorry to hear about that. She said "I know your policy states..." I mention that if she cancels then her sister in law will cancel and that is 4 rooms nights, we have been turning people away from booking since you had those rooms reserved.
She says "I guess we will be there then." and "We will be so tired and out of it, but we will be there." and I tell her how nice it will be to relax on the porch with her family and do nothing. A true getaway.
So that was that. Fortunately. But what a stinker, one cancellation would cause the other, I would NOT have allowed the other off the hook, so if they came they would probably be angry about it.
The politics of being innkeeper.

Good for you sticking to your policys. I truly mean that.
They all have to learn we cannot keep rolling over. We are small business and things like that hurt us deeply.

Would it be a plus or a minus to add the words "no exceptions" to the posted cancellation policy?
(As with other policies, it would still be up to the innkeeper to decide exceptions on a case-by-case basis.)

They all have to learn we cannot keep rolling over. We are small business and things like that hurt us deeply..
Flower said:
They all have to learn we cannot keep rolling over. We are small business and things like that hurt us deeply.
Yes, it does hurt. It IS FOOD from our table. It does impact us paying the bills. People gripe about lack of maintenance on an old inn, but we need to have the $ to do it all, everything we have we pour back into these old mansions. and that is never done, it is on a permanent rotation.
More and more inns are closing up shop, people don't really give a rip.

guests don't care and they think even less about what it costs to run these places. they want what they want our lives are irrelevant its that much of a long and short. Ive spent a fortune on restoration this year but as they havn't seen it before it is irrelevant.

What a perfect reply to her!!! Yes, after all that stress and grief, a totally relaxing getaway is "good medicine".

They all have to learn we cannot keep rolling over. We are small business and things like that hurt us deeply..
Flower said:
Yes, it does hurt. It IS FOOD from our table. It does impact us paying the bills. People gripe about lack of maintenance on an old inn, but we need to have the $ to do it all, everything we have we pour back into these old mansions. and that is never done, it is on a permanent rotation.
It's a very difficult one when you get the old "x has died" phone call. Is it true or not, can't really call them on it, although I have been tempted to say "What again?" on more than one occasion.
We had a booking from a lady in July for 3 nights, she phoned a month before and said she couldn't come. As she'd been before and I knew that time of year I'd be able to re-let the rooms I agreed to carry her deposit over to a stay in October instead. AT the time I thought it was a good deal, I re-let the room in July and I get a 3 night booking for late October which is a quiet time of year.
But of course she phoned this week with the "I've got to go into hospital for an operation" line and I felt obliged to carry to deposit over to next year as I'd done it once alread. But I'm starting to get hacked off, I've no reason to think she's not genuine but how many times does she expect me to do this.

Joey, you handled it well!
Guests just don't care what we go through or how much $ we lose by their actions. The more we innkeepers hold the guests to their responsibilities in a non-confrontational way, I think the better it is for the whole industry. I guess we have to educate them one guest at a time and hopefully they won't try to pull the same thing on the next innkeeper.
Arky, our inn's policies state that they are strictly enforced. But everyone thinks they are the special exception.

Flower said:
It's a very difficult one when you get the old "x has died" phone call. Is it true or not, can't really call them on it, although I have been tempted to say "What again?" on more than one occasion.
We had a booking from a lady in July for 3 nights, she phoned a month before and said she couldn't come. As she'd been before and I knew that time of year I'd be able to re-let the rooms I agreed to carry her deposit over to a stay in October instead. AT the time I thought it was a good deal, I re-let the room in July and I get a 3 night booking for late October which is a quiet time of year.
But of course she phoned this week with the "I've got to go into hospital for an operation" line and I felt obliged to carry to deposit over to next year as I'd done it once alread. But I'm starting to get hacked off, I've no reason to think she's not genuine but how many times does she expect me to do this.
Highlands John said:
There are always excuses.And they are getting better and better. My latest "No Show" used the excuse that he never received any of my 2 confirmation letters.....right...
I would put into my policies that you can only extend the carry overs x amount of times, then they will go away.

However, put yourself in their shoes (although I know you are wearing the "this is my livelihood shoes"
Personally I would have said that (1) IF they send you a copy of the death cert AND (2) that you can resell the rooms then you would refund them
If it were me and this was a lot of money I was laying out for a special time AND I had to deal with a death at the same time I would find it pretty hard

However, put yourself in their shoes (although I know you are wearing the "this is my livelihood shoes"
Personally I would have said that (1) IF they send you a copy of the death cert AND (2) that you can resell the rooms then you would refund them
If it were me and this was a lot of money I was laying out for a special time AND I had to deal with a death at the same time I would find it pretty hard.
I can only speak for myself here, but a few times a year I book hotel rooms for business trips and every room I book (online) requires payment in full up front and non-refundable. If something comes up that prevents me from taking my trip, I know the money for the hotel is gone. To me, non-refundable means exactly that, and I'd fully expect them to say no if I asked for a refund.

If it were me and this was a lot of money I was laying out for a special time AND I had to deal with a death at the same time I would find it pretty hard.
I can only speak for myself here, but a few times a year I book hotel rooms for business trips and every room I book (online) requires payment in full up front and non-refundable. If something comes up that prevents me from taking my trip, I know the money for the hotel is gone. To me, non-refundable means exactly that, and I'd fully expect them to say no if I asked for a refund.
Arkansawyer said:
You are the exception my friend!
cry_smile.gif

As for asking for the obit... that is like saying "I think you are lying" and will cause more unhappy feelings. Sticking to your polices is the way to go.

If it was the a room, for one night it would have been a different scenario that 60% of our revenue. Due to the fact this person gave me all the grisly details, that put me off immediately, so I waited and listened. I would never ask for a death cert, ever. I would either let them rebook or whatever. But the other room was not related to this person who passed, and it would be that cancellation as well.

thing is that hacks me off (means makes me cross) if we were a big chain they would not expect the money but because we are the little guy they think they are entitled. why one rule for them one for us? more and more people I know are charging in full on point of booking and for busy times it is non refundable (ie special event/conference) I can certainly see their point of view.

thing is that hacks me off (means makes me cross) if we were a big chain they would not expect the money but because we are the little guy they think they are entitled. why one rule for them one for us? more and more people I know are charging in full on point of booking and for busy times it is non refundable (ie special event/conference) I can certainly see their point of view.
Yes, I've noticed that, and I've also noticed when booking online that some sites give you the option of having the same room at a cheaper price if you pay the whole lot up-front.

Flower said:
Highlands John said:
There are always excuses.And they are getting better and better. My latest "No Show" used the excuse that he never received any of my 2 confirmation letters.....right...
I would put into my policies that you can only extend the carry overs x amount of times, then they will go away.
mooseberry said:
Highlands John said:
Not the same circumstance, but I've had a couple of people this year use the "we never received the confirmation" excuse. Like when they turn up early before the rooms are ready.
Next time I update our website somewhere I will put in "We always send a confirmation of your booking, if you have not received one in 24 hours please contact us". I've also got into the habit of telling people this when they book over the phone. Not least becuase it's so easy to mis-type an email address.
However, in your defence, if I made a booking and gave someone my card details I wouldn't assume because I didn't receive a confirmation that the booking hadn't been made.

Yes, I've noticed that, and I've also noticed when booking online that some sites give you the option of having the same room at a cheaper price if you pay the whole lot up-front.
when I worked for a chain we did that it was about £8 cheaper to pay up front in full at time of booking non refundable not that it stopped them squaqking if they had to cancel but at least you are guaranteed the money.

If it was the a room, for one night it would have been a different scenario that 60% of our revenue. Due to the fact this person gave me all the grisly details, that put me off immediately, so I waited and listened. I would never ask for a death cert, ever. I would either let them rebook or whatever. But the other room was not related to this person who passed, and it would be that cancellation as well..
Joey Bloggs said:
If it was the a room, for one night it would have been a different scenario that 60% of our revenue. Due to the fact this person gave me all the grisly details, that put me off immediately, so I waited and listened. I would never ask for a death cert, ever. I would either let them rebook or whatever. But the other room was not related to this person who passed, and it would be that cancellation as well.
There was one clever innkeeper on one of these chat forums that used to profess great sympathy and ask for the address of the funeral home/whatever to send flowers. That used to stop them cold!!!
Riki

If it was the a room, for one night it would have been a different scenario that 60% of our revenue. Due to the fact this person gave me all the grisly details, that put me off immediately, so I waited and listened. I would never ask for a death cert, ever. I would either let them rebook or whatever. But the other room was not related to this person who passed, and it would be that cancellation as well..
Joey Bloggs said:
There was one clever innkeeper on one of these chat forums that used to profess great sympathy and ask for the address of the funeral home/whatever to send flowers. That used to stop them cold!!!
Riki
Oh that's a good one! I bet I know who that was ..HA HA....You all need to remember that for the next time :)

Back