"I can't eat that."

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
And here I was congratulating ourselves on not getting any more weird dietary restrictions since we started asking only about allergies and this guest looks at the menu board and says, 'I can't eat eggs.' Gomez, gotta love him, looks down at their reg form, in his hand, and says, 'It says here you allergic to pecans, not eggs. No one told us about the eggs.'
Guest pipes up and says, 'Oh, I'm not allergic, I just don't like them.'
BTW, 'eggs' are not what's for breakfast. Eggs will make an appearance, but as a supporting character.

When we take a phone reservation, we always ask "do you have any dietary restrictions OR is there anything you just won't eat?" We head off a lot of potential problems that way.
It is funny though that some will answer "brussels sprouts or brocoli" Who serves that for breakfast?

Pick a box of your favorite cereal, we have Capt Crunch and Wheaties!

When we take a phone reservation, we always ask "do you have any dietary restrictions OR is there anything you just won't eat?" We head off a lot of potential problems that way.
It is funny though that some will answer "brussels sprouts or brocoli" Who serves that for breakfast?.
Proud Texan said:
It is funny though that some will answer "brussels sprouts or brocoli" Who serves that for breakfast?
We just STOPPED asking it that way because we got tired of all the nitpicky little things guests won't eat. Not can't eat because they will die, but won't eat. (OK, full disclosure- I WON'T eat green peppers, they won't kill me, but I HATE the taste of them. I won't even pick them out or eat around them. So, I would hand off to Gomez anything they were in.)
So, we might have known this person wouldn't eat eggs, but it wouldn't have changed anything because eggs are served for breakfast.
BTW- we serve broccoli for breakfast...in the quiche. But, I know what you mean...some odd things come up in that conversation about breakfast foods.

I just had a guest who stated at the time she made the reservation that she hated eggs. It was ok if they were baked in breads, pancakes, french toast, etc. No problem...I fixed a french toast bake. Out of curiosity, I asked her what the innkeeper at the previous night's b&b served her. She gave me a funny look and said she served everyone else a quiche, but she was given just a bagel & fruit.
Since she made her reservation far in advance, not having an "eggy" dish was no big deal. It seems to me that unless it's a last minute "I can't eat that" like what Mort just went through, a better breakfast than a bagel should be expected.

I just had a guest who stated at the time she made the reservation that she hated eggs. It was ok if they were baked in breads, pancakes, french toast, etc. No problem...I fixed a french toast bake. Out of curiosity, I asked her what the innkeeper at the previous night's b&b served her. She gave me a funny look and said she served everyone else a quiche, but she was given just a bagel & fruit.
Since she made her reservation far in advance, not having an "eggy" dish was no big deal. It seems to me that unless it's a last minute "I can't eat that" like what Mort just went through, a better breakfast than a bagel should be expected..
Breakfast Diva said:
Since she made her reservation far in advance, not having an "eggy" dish was no big deal. It seems to me that unless it's a last minute "I can't eat that" like what Mort just went through, a better breakfast than a bagel should be expected.
This is what we're finding we're tired of, tho. Multiple different breakfast entrees based on likes & dislikes or diet du jour. The worst one was when Gomez was laid up (as in severely out of commission for weeks) and I faced a full house, holiday weekend with (gotta love them) family pitching in. I sweated this vegan family's take on my soy sausage casserole and how was everyone else going to like the same thing as I could NOT make multiple different entrees my very first time alone.
I asked, 'How was the casserole? It's entirely vegan.' They looked at me and said, without a trace of apology or anything remotely like thanks for doing that, 'Oh, that was a phase, we're over it.'
$30 in soy products, the time and effort and it was a 'phase'. (Not to mention the stress I was under personally.) We've gotten that a few times this summer, too. The one who couldn't have gluten but had FT at another innmates' place the morning before. No sugar and all the cookies are gone.

It is funny though that some will answer "brussels sprouts or brocoli" Who serves that for breakfast?.
A lot of guys think they are being funny to say no brussels. I get that a lot.

Mort, you cover this and very well I might add on your breakfast page.... so by check in time Mr or Ms "I can't eat eggs" would get your selection of cereals, yogurt, granola, fruit and toast.
(I may just have to steal your wording for myself)

Mort, you cover this and very well I might add on your breakfast page.... so by check in time Mr or Ms "I can't eat eggs" would get your selection of cereals, yogurt, granola, fruit and toast.
(I may just have to steal your wording for myself).
Plain toast. She was a bit senile. Kept asking her husband if she could or could not eat something. He apologized for not telling us. It wasn't an allergy (altho he also didn't tell us of the myriad other things she couldn't eat due to her medication) so toast it was. Plain old wheat toast.

Since eggs were a supporting character, I think I would have just laughed it off and said, "Well, we're not your Mom, so you don't have to clean your plate!"

Good one Samster! May I remember to be that quick!.
It was one of my standard jokes for the most part when people said, "This is sooooooo much food!" If I had been their Mom, I'd have to say that 98% of our guests would be members of The Clean Plate Club and would get gold stars. :)
I always thought that a sense of humor went a long way with the guests....

Good one Samster! May I remember to be that quick!.
It was one of my standard jokes for the most part when people said, "This is sooooooo much food!" If I had been their Mom, I'd have to say that 98% of our guests would be members of The Clean Plate Club and would get gold stars. :)
I always thought that a sense of humor went a long way with the guests....
If the plates are on the table and I get 'too much food' comments, I tell them Gomez cooks for his dad who's a logger and that's what he would eat.
I also tell them we don't want them fainting dead away while shopping.

If people comment on being full, or not being able to eat it all, I always say "David is just trying to save you your lunch money"!

If people comment on being full, or not being able to eat it all, I always say "David is just trying to save you your lunch money"!.
That's similar to mine..."This way you can skip lunch, save money, and have some ice cream in the middle of the day!" They always nod and agree!

(I may just have to steal your wording for myself).
Plain toast. She was a bit senile. Kept asking her husband if she could or could not eat something. He apologized for not telling us. It wasn't an allergy (altho he also didn't tell us of the myriad other things she couldn't eat due to her medication) so toast it was. Plain old wheat toast.
Good Grief! There is another DH in the world! Mine would not have thought to say anything about what I could or could not have .....

Back