I can't make it this weekend, I need to reschedule

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
and so it begins...the trying to GET OUT OF OUR POLICIES. This booking is for Sat, that is 4 days away we have a 7 day cancellation policy. He wants to rebook for end of May.

I had one of those in March. Son booked it for parents. They called late to resched it for May. They just cancelled it for May.
If you decide to let them resched, no cancellation period, they've already used it up. It starts now.

I agree, reschdule him in then and tell him since he already cancelled once...he cannot again or will charge for the entire stay automatically.

Joey Bloggs said:
and so it begins...the trying to GET OUT OF OUR POLICIES. This booking is for Sat, that is 4 days away we have a 7 day cancellation policy. He wants to rebook for end of May.
Memorial Day weekend perchance?

Yes I had same, booked and tried to cancel within cancel period, I agreed to his rebooking req and then he canceled again. I didn't charge him but it sucked. I don't trust these "reschedules" - if you do agree then take FULL PAYMENT NOW

See, they don't see it as cancelling, they think the are just "changing". So I have changed our confirmation to say cancellations/changes.
NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED. Hold him to your policies.

I would charge him for the stay that he cancelled and tell him that his stay in May is already paid for because he paid in April-one way to at least get your $$ and then if he starts the re-schedule for May do the same thing.

I would charge him for the stay that he cancelled and tell him that his stay in May is already paid for because he paid in April-one way to at least get your $$ and then if he starts the re-schedule for May do the same thing..
On this I do not agree. The gallon of milk will go sour between now and the end of May. Will he want that gallon of milk then? No it will be sour and undrinkable. Same thing - the night he took out of inventory will be gone and unable to be recaptured. It showed booked on the online availability so no one else could get it. Now he wants to take up space in May that could be sold 3 times over but pay only once even though he cost JB revenue. Has he been there before? That would be the only factor I would consider. Is this a first-timer? Is this the kind of guest we want?

I charge one night for a cancellation and I sometimes offer them a gift certificate for that value. But as one of the conditions, it cannot be used to pay for cancellation fees. So they can use it to pay for a stay, but if they cancel again, they pay again, since it cannot be used for fees, just accomodations.

Or maybe as a compromise do a discount for the may stay? but 4 days away for a time when I am betting you have turned people away don't let yourself be out of pocket. Ive had people do this deliberately want dates further on but booked say for feb cos it is cheaper (ie off peak) and hope you transfer it automatically to the high season dates at the low season price. so just be careful

Or maybe as a compromise do a discount for the may stay? but 4 days away for a time when I am betting you have turned people away don't let yourself be out of pocket. Ive had people do this deliberately want dates further on but booked say for feb cos it is cheaper (ie off peak) and hope you transfer it automatically to the high season dates at the low season price. so just be careful.
My couple did that and because their son reserved it for them, I emailed to tell him it was a higher rate. Got nothing back at all but months later the parents cancel.

Stick to your guns. Follow your policy. When they made a reservation, they entered into a contract with you. Because they chose to cancel/reschedule within a given period, they are subject, by the terms of the contract to forfeit whatever charge was stated in your policies.
Why in God's name would anyone give a gift certificate for a someone who is canceling or rescheduling a reservation with short notice? You have taken that room off the market and if you can't rebook that date, you lose that income. If you're just trying to be nice, offer to transfer their deposit IF you can rebook the room. Otherwise, they will just need to place a new deposit.

Stick to your guns. Follow your policy. When they made a reservation, they entered into a contract with you. Because they chose to cancel/reschedule within a given period, they are subject, by the terms of the contract to forfeit whatever charge was stated in your policies.
Why in God's name would anyone give a gift certificate for a someone who is canceling or rescheduling a reservation with short notice? You have taken that room off the market and if you can't rebook that date, you lose that income. If you're just trying to be nice, offer to transfer their deposit IF you can rebook the room. Otherwise, they will just need to place a new deposit..
Proud Texan said:
. . . Why in God's name would anyone give a gift certificate for a someone who is canceling or rescheduling a reservation with short notice? You have taken that room off the market and if you can't rebook that date, you lose that income. If you're just trying to be nice, offer to transfer their deposit IF you can rebook the room. Otherwise, they will just need to place a new deposit.

I have wondered this myself. "This deposit secures THIS reservation on THIS date for THIS room, and cannot be changed unless it is replaced by another." It's sort of like taking an option out on the room. I won't -- can't -- sell the room to anyone else, but if you choose not to exercise your option, well . . . don't think you're going to make your problem become mine!" I personally would have deposit, of whatever amount, to hold the room, and at the beginning of the cancellation period the full amount would be charged. A refund would only be available if the rooms could be re-let before the actual reservation date, and only up to the amount I was able to get (less a cancellation fee). "You booked it, you 'bought' it and it's gone; it can't be returned, and I can't get it back."

Last night, I found a place that had a 60 DAY cancellation period. All cancellations are charged $150 PER PERSON.

Update:
I spoke to him and my gut was right, it was one of those "trying to escape the cancellation policy" by rescheduling.
I totally agree with what others have said, allow this change and then what, have this guest take a one night at a future date that COULD POSSIBLE be a 2 or 3 or 4 night stay? So it costs you to not stick to your policies. As I say, "this ain't my first rodeo" people have done this, attempted to, in the past. The worst case scenario (for anyone new to innkeeping) are the Gift certificates. So make sure you have "Same policies apply to gift certificates as regular bookings" or they will/can really mess you up and COST YOU. They think since it is a gc it is paid for so no big deal if they change the dates over and over. If they want to stuff you around the GC will become null and void.
So he was not happy, he had no real plans of staying another time. But he accepted it, and it is a done deal. And for those who assume high occupancy bites the dust on this, it is the lower occupancy that really lose out, we NEED that booking, when they reschedule or cancel and won't pay it! Just wanted to toss that into the mix, we are not full this weekend, we needed this booking!

Update #2
He just called back and said "I am going to make it this weekend. It is ridiculous that I have to pay for something I am not going to be able to do." I said "Great! Glad you can make it afterall! We will see you on Saturday." He said "Yeah okay" click.
S/b Fun! Someone who doesn't want to be here, who is mad because they have to be here, and don't want to lose the one night deposit for the one night stay so they are coming anyway...just to make sure they get their money worth. S/B fun...can't wait!
whattha.gif

Again, and again and again, not sure HOW MUCH BOLDER I CAN MAKE IT TO READ THE POLICIES. YOU HAVE AGREED TO TO THIS CONTRACT WHEN YOU GIVE US YOUR CREDIT CARD. YOU HAVE AGREED TO PAY FOR THIS ROOM AND WE HAVE AGREED TO HAVE YOU HERE!!!
Arghhh

Update #2
He just called back and said "I am going to make it this weekend. It is ridiculous that I have to pay for something I am not going to be able to do." I said "Great! Glad you can make it afterall! We will see you on Saturday." He said "Yeah okay" click.
S/b Fun! Someone who doesn't want to be here, who is mad because they have to be here, and don't want to lose the one night deposit for the one night stay so they are coming anyway...just to make sure they get their money worth. S/B fun...can't wait!
whattha.gif

Again, and again and again, not sure HOW MUCH BOLDER I CAN MAKE IT TO READ THE POLICIES. YOU HAVE AGREED TO TO THIS CONTRACT WHEN YOU GIVE US YOUR CREDIT CARD. YOU HAVE AGREED TO PAY FOR THIS ROOM AND WE HAVE AGREED TO HAVE YOU HERE!!!
Arghhh.
And the same people would be screaming bloody murder if they arrived and you told them you gave their room away. It goes both ways but no one seems to understand that. Mostly, I think, because hotels let you call day of arrival to cancel.

Update #2
whattha.gif

Arghhh.
And the same people would be screaming bloody murder if they arrived and you told them you gave their room away. It goes both ways but no one seems to understand that. Mostly, I think, because hotels let you call day of arrival to cancel.
Alibi Ike said:
I added it again, YOU HAVE AGREED TO THESE POLICIES IF YOU HAVE RESERVED A ROOM AT THE ABC B&B.

Update #2
whattha.gif

Arghhh.
Oh I hate this scenario the most. Whatta jerk. Kill him with kindness, there's not much else you can do.
Do you think they even bat an eye about being SO hypocritical? Oh, I can't make it because XYZ...oh, it's going to cost me? Never mind, I can make it.

Why in God's name would anyone give a gift certificate for a someone who is canceling or rescheduling a reservation with short notice? You have taken that room off the market and if you can't rebook that date, you lose that income. If you're just trying to be nice, offer to transfer their deposit IF you can rebook the room. Otherwise, they will just need to place a new deposit..
Proud Texan said:
. . . Why in God's name would anyone give a gift certificate for a someone who is canceling or rescheduling a reservation with short notice? You have taken that room off the market and if you can't rebook that date, you lose that income. If you're just trying to be nice, offer to transfer their deposit IF you can rebook the room. Otherwise, they will just need to place a new deposit.

I have wondered this myself. "This deposit secures THIS reservation on THIS date for THIS room, and cannot be changed unless it is replaced by another." It's sort of like taking an option out on the room. I won't -- can't -- sell the room to anyone else, but if you choose not to exercise your option, well . . . don't think you're going to make your problem become mine!" I personally would have deposit, of whatever amount, to hold the room, and at the beginning of the cancellation period the full amount would be charged. A refund would only be available if the rooms could be re-let before the actual reservation date, and only up to the amount I was able to get (less a cancellation fee). "You booked it, you 'bought' it and it's gone; it can't be returned, and I can't get it back."

Last night, I found a place that had a 60 DAY cancellation period. All cancellations are charged $150 PER PERSON.
IronGate said:
Proud Texan said:

It is the IF IT CAN BE RE-BOOKED phrase hat drives me up the wall. HE booked, HE cancelled and YOUR policy is full charge. Now if that room can be rerented it should be gravy for YOU.
For those who never worked in a hotel before, let me clue you in - ALL no-shows are charged. ALL who did not cancel befor 6 PM are charged. And I guarantee you that if a room can be sold at midnight or 3 AM and there is no one actually in that bed at that time, that room WILL BE RENTED and the person who booked that room will not get a refund of any kind nor a GC.
You booked, you cenceled after window to cancel, you pay. Period

Proud Texan said:

IronGate said:
Proud Texan said:

It is the IF IT CAN BE RE-BOOKED phrase hat drives me up the wall. HE booked, HE cancelled and YOUR policy is full charge. Now if that room can be rerented it should be gravy for YOU.
For those who never worked in a hotel before, let me clue you in - ALL no-shows are charged. ALL who did not cancel befor 6 PM are charged. And I guarantee you that if a room can be sold at midnight or 3 AM and there is no one actually in that bed at that time, that room WILL BE RENTED and the person who booked that room will not get a refund of any kind nor a GC.
gillumhouse said:
This does not sit well with me. There is a difference between a cancellation and a no-show. When the room is booked, it is removed from inventory. If a the guest lets me know that the room will not be used, I will put that room back into inventory and attempt to get another guest. If I do, I will refund (most of) the original guest's money, as a karmic way of saying "Thanks for letting me know." That's the way I'd like to be treated, and believe it will come back to me in spades.
A no-show, on the other hand, gets no refund. I can't rebook the room; it is paid for, and considered occupied whether there is a warm body in the bed or not. What if the guest showed up on the second night, and I had rebooked the room to someone else? I'm not a hotel; I can't simply put him into an identical yet different room, leaving him none the wiser. I would not be able to justify to myself that someone had reserved a (specific) room, paid for it, and then I put someone else into it, leaving him without a room. I have no idea what would cause someone to pay for a room and then not show up, but as long as the room is paid for, I don't really care, either.

Back