I could just cry.....

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ice

Reaction score
Well we now have both rooms availible for the Vet's free rooms.
cry_smile.gif

Post it on your web site. Call the local armory. I had one cancel due to a torn patella surgery and have not heard from the other one since he booked. I may be empty also! And I DID post it on my home page!

And send an email to have it updated on the vets website - we are still getting inquiries.

And send an email to have it updated on the vets website - we are still getting inquiries..
I had a lot of e-mails that I have a cancel please take down the FULL. I figured the webmaster would slap me silly if I tried to flip/flop FULL. I have been telling them to post it on their web site!
Just had a call from my remaining vet. He IS coming and I told him to let someone else know I have a room available.

I understand this is for the military.....
If the room does not fill by tomorrow morning.......what about a policeman, fireman?
being less than 30 miles...as a crow flies from the World Trade Center. Since 9/11....Police, Fire, EMT's, Transit Police and the Military. Have become to be thought of as one and the same, in so many ways.
Well......that's us here.
It's a thought you may want to consider.
It's also something I was considering when I move beyond aspiring.....provide a one room, one night to the local police and fire department.......it's just a thought.......being in their good favor can provide dividends

I understand this is for the military.....
If the room does not fill by tomorrow morning.......what about a policeman, fireman?
being less than 30 miles...as a crow flies from the World Trade Center. Since 9/11....Police, Fire, EMT's, Transit Police and the Military. Have become to be thought of as one and the same, in so many ways.
Well......that's us here.
It's a thought you may want to consider.
It's also something I was considering when I move beyond aspiring.....provide a one room, one night to the local police and fire department.......it's just a thought.......being in their good favor can provide dividends.
The reason this is for military is because of the Veterans Day connection and because , in my opinion, they do not get thanked enough. For years the pay was so bad they qualified for Welfare and other personal reasons - but it resonated or there would not be so many participating.
I have military throughout my family - oldest grandson is currently in Afghanistan - and a daughter who is a Chicago cop. I give a 15% discount to military, cops, and firemen in season and 25% in the off-season. Many do give discounts year round to military. I included the firemen after 9-11.

gillum
I totaly get the bed for vets program..
I offered an alternative....based on the consensus of my location on how the populous since 9/11/01 viewed the services. Military, fire, police, etc....and.....understandably the view towards fire, police, related services is waning.
My location.....wouldn't give a county cop a free night......We have the 2nd highest paid in the nation. But coffee and a muffin time to time......a volunteer fireman, probably would. One night, once a year.
Before the small office behind me put a gate across the parking lot entrance......2 or 3x's a year I'd catch a couple cop cars in the parking lot doing reports.....I'd run to Dunkin, get some coffee and some donuts and give it to them....first time I did it....one of the cops was insulted...thinking I was making a joke of it.......I had to repeatedly explain my home is on the other side of that fence. I appreciate their presence as much as they want......I did this for more than 10 years....became pretty good friends with some of them through that time.....and it has paid dividends.
When my town built a new firehouse....I was asked about doing the landscape install work....I gave them a deal they couldn't refuse.....and we continue to maintain it. It started out that I wanted this project done right, rather than have an outside contractor do it just for the $. I do free things at the firehouse and provide discount work to volunteers that own homes in town.........this to has paid dividends

Looks like we have a no show. I will put out the note on the door, but I think they would have been here by now if they were coming.

all of mine are are either here or on their way. Had a vet call for a room just today, sorry fella!

gillum
I offered an alternative....based on the consensus of my location on how the populous since 9/11/01 viewed the services. Military, fire, police, etc....and.....understandably the view towards fire, police, related services is waning.
My location.....wouldn't give a county cop a free night......We have the 2nd highest paid in the nation. But coffee and a muffin time to time......a volunteer fireman, probably would. One night, once a year.
Before the small office behind me put a gate across the parking lot entrance......2 or 3x's a year I'd catch a couple cop cars in the parking lot doing reports.....I'd run to Dunkin, get some coffee and some donuts and give it to them....first time I did it....one of the cops was insulted...thinking I was making a joke of it.......I had to repeatedly explain my home is on the other side of that fence. I appreciate their presence as much as they want......I did this for more than 10 years....became pretty good friends with some of them through that time.....and it has paid dividends.
When my town built a new firehouse....I was asked about doing the landscape install work....I gave them a deal they couldn't refuse.....and we continue to maintain it. It started out that I wanted this project done right, rather than have an outside contractor do it just for the $. I do free things at the firehouse and provide discount work to volunteers that own homes in town.........this to has paid dividends.
Yes, that is what it is about. So many of the innkeepers just felt plain, old-fashioned GOOD about doing this. Many are Vets themselves and remember.
Back in my day, the military pay was so low it was disgusting. It has gotten better, but it is the retirement that keeps them as much as the fact they know how important their job is. From what I am hearing from the ladies in Garden Club - do not snicker, we are a bunch of old (and some REALLY OLD) women but we have grandsons and nephews etc who were in Iraq and or Afghanistan - several have family members who were wounded, some lost legs and others severely wounded, but they say their kids are saying we are doing hat we should be doing and they would go back if they were able.
And the response from the military and their spouses has bee (for the most part) downright heart-warming..

gillum
When my town built a new firehouse....I was asked about doing the landscape install work....I gave them a deal they couldn't refuse.....and we continue to maintain it. It started out that I wanted this project done right, rather than have an outside contractor do it just for the $. I do free things at the firehouse and provide discount work to volunteers that own homes in town.........this to has paid dividends.
Yes, that is what it is about. So many of the innkeepers just felt plain, old-fashioned GOOD about doing this. Many are Vets themselves and remember.
Back in my day, the military pay was so low it was disgusting. It has gotten better, but it is the retirement that keeps them as much as the fact they know how important their job is. From what I am hearing from the ladies in Garden Club - do not snicker, we are a bunch of old (and some REALLY OLD) women but we have grandsons and nephews etc who were in Iraq and or Afghanistan - several have family members who were wounded, some lost legs and others severely wounded, but they say their kids are saying we are doing hat we should be doing and they would go back if they were able.
And the response from the military and their spouses has bee (for the most part) downright heart-warming..
Both of mine are in and having a ball!
Riki

We had 22 people booked into the lodge for the program. Three cancellations yesterday, and a no-show today took us down to four. Still, nice people in the lodge, and less work for us getting ready for paying guests this weekend. We're disappointed at the cancellation rate and sort of scratching our heads at it. But we had a snowstorm blow through yesterday (big enough to close the interstate) and another one promised for tomorrow. What with that and the Denver TV weather people uttering Cassandra-like cries that the world was coming to an end, it's no wonder some of our folks got scared away.
And the fact that Veterans Day is in the middle of the week sort of put the kabosh on some of our guests, who thought they could get an extra day off, but the military balked.
We have four people when we expected twenty, and they'll get better food tomorrow morning as a result. We have four friends today that we didn't have yesterday. Who can argue with that?
Tom

Well no one booked after the cancelations. I was disappointed but God knew better.....my daughter was having contractions yesterday. Annie wasn't due to come till Nov 22, she isn't here yet but there is another grandaughter that needed her Memaw! So it all worked out. (I'll get a veteran or 2 next year)
wink_smile.gif

As miffed as I am about one of our veteran couples just not showing up, it can't come close to how humble it made me feel to provide a free night for one single gal. Well, she wasn't really single, she was supposed to come for the night with her husband who has done 3 tours with the Army in Iraq. But he wasn't with her. He left the family last week. He didn't even call to wish his daughter a happy birthday.
They have 5 children, ages 3-11. Dad has had 4 knee surgeries and got addicted to pain killers. He's been hospitalized on two occasions for psychiatric issues. He has severe PTSD and cannot drive. When you or I see a garbage can on the side of the street while driving along, he sees an IED. The local VA hospital can only see him for psych appointments every 6-8 weeks because there aren't enough providers for these services. As a result, it's taken months and months to try and get his meds regulated to levels that are helpful enough, but not have bad side-effects. He is extremely depressed and is just not enjoying life any more. Mom never knows what she's going to find when she gets home from work each day. He can't be around the kids by himself.
This mom told me about how dad had missed the births of at least two of the kids. Didn't see his youngest daughter till she was 8 months old. And sometimes I complain because my DH is gone for a night or two during the week for work in Northern VA!
It's not just the veterans who serve us, but their families who also make the sacrifice.

Aussie innkeeper thank you for sharing. Any who have been a military family know the sacrifices go well beyond the battle field. I will keep your guest and her family in my prayers, there is always hope...

As miffed as I am about one of our veteran couples just not showing up, it can't come close to how humble it made me feel to provide a free night for one single gal. Well, she wasn't really single, she was supposed to come for the night with her husband who has done 3 tours with the Army in Iraq. But he wasn't with her. He left the family last week. He didn't even call to wish his daughter a happy birthday.
They have 5 children, ages 3-11. Dad has had 4 knee surgeries and got addicted to pain killers. He's been hospitalized on two occasions for psychiatric issues. He has severe PTSD and cannot drive. When you or I see a garbage can on the side of the street while driving along, he sees an IED. The local VA hospital can only see him for psych appointments every 6-8 weeks because there aren't enough providers for these services. As a result, it's taken months and months to try and get his meds regulated to levels that are helpful enough, but not have bad side-effects. He is extremely depressed and is just not enjoying life any more. Mom never knows what she's going to find when she gets home from work each day. He can't be around the kids by himself.
This mom told me about how dad had missed the births of at least two of the kids. Didn't see his youngest daughter till she was 8 months old. And sometimes I complain because my DH is gone for a night or two during the week for work in Northern VA!
It's not just the veterans who serve us, but their families who also make the sacrifice..
Aussie Innkeeper said:
It's not just the veterans who serve us, but their families who also make the sacrifice.
Isnt't that the truth...Being home while your loved one goes overseas is tough.

It's not just the veterans who serve us, but their families who also make the sacrifice..
I told the wife of my vet that this was also for the spouses - the unsung heros - who hold everything together so their spouses can do their jobs without hving to worry about the homefront. My guy even wrote in the book thanking me for telling her that. Fact is - it is the truth!

After cancels, ended up with 3 rooms. One was a couple - both military & had met while stationed in Germany. The 2 couples were wonderful. My third was a single mom who called back to ask if she could bring her 10 yr old if she could not find a sitter. I do take children 10 & over so agreed. THAT was my mistake. Child ended up being a ball of fire 5 yr old - bouncing off the bed etc., and at times left unattended.
I look forward to doing this again next year with a few tweeks - Cancellaions happen everyday but it seemed that we all experienced a larger number with this free program. While I understand the idea behind this program, it seems we need to have something in place to discourage someone from canceling or not showing. Something to hash arround before next year.,

Back