I couldn't resist!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunshine

Reaction score
They parked right in front this time, so I had to take a picture!!!
So far, they have removed two railings and taken them back to their shop to remake. The also have scraped most of the paint off. VERY SLOW PROCESS!!! But it will be beautiful!
lrg_amish%20buggy.jpg

GET OUT!
Sunshine, now that is photoshopworthy, your hubbie should have fun with that one! (just adding a little style here and there to the image). It is great as it is the working buggy. Can you email the higher rez image? I would love to see the detail.
LOVE IT!

GET OUT!
Sunshine, now that is photoshopworthy, your hubbie should have fun with that one! (just adding a little style here and there to the image). It is great as it is the working buggy. Can you email the higher rez image? I would love to see the detail.
LOVE IT!.
Joey Bloggs said:
GET OUT!
LOVE IT!
Sure, I'll try.....

that is awesome!
i realize they were parked there, doing a job, but do they pass by often so that guests might chance to see that??

I'm sure it was a common scene during much of that old house's past. Great opportunity to get to imagine what it was like there long ago.

wow, that should go right to your website, facebook page, twitter, instagram
wink_smile.gif

Title it "The work truck"
or the old mule, haha
What you cannot make out in the photo is the straw hat hanging on the porch (maybe the mail box). DH saw it and said "Metal scaffolding?"

Yes, the Amish do go past our home almost daily! So yes, guests do get a chance to see them.
JB the hat is in a little wooden shelf that is by the door.
It's funny no one said anything about the guy on the scaffolding on the porch. It looks like he's standing on top of the buggy in the picture! LOL!

Yes, the Amish do go past our home almost daily! So yes, guests do get a chance to see them.
It's funny no one said anything about the guy on the scaffolding on the porch. It looks like he's standing on top of the buggy in the picture! LOL!.
And so DH said "They obv use modern tools" and I have to ask you if they do? ie not electric tools per se, but Stanley hammers and saw blades? storebought...
The scaffolding is DeWalt yellow, his favorite color.
We just gotta know. Thanks. :)

It's funny no one said anything about the guy on the scaffolding on the porch. It looks like he's standing on top of the buggy in the picture! LOL!.
And so DH said "They obv use modern tools" and I have to ask you if they do? ie not electric tools per se, but Stanley hammers and saw blades? storebought...
I live in Ohio's Amish area- the largest settlement of Amish in the world. In regard to the tools: each sect is different. I live in the area of Old Order Amish. On a scale of 1-5 (1 being the Swartentruber group which is the MOST fundamental group) the groups around me range from 2-3. They are extremely hard workers, use quality tools for their livelihood, and will do the job right. The first time.
Tthe Amish friends that I have will never shirk from a job or take the easy way out. I've been friends with them for 5 years or more and every single time I am around them, it strikes me how precise they are and how focused on completion they are. Right down to the youngest child.

And yes, I know about the negatives of their culture. I'm simply speaking of their work ethic.

Joey Bloggs said:
These guys have blown my "Idea" of the Amish, out of the water!!!"
YES, they do use "power tools", an extension cord plugged inside my parlor running out front. And Scaffolding, AND........
This is what really blew my mind!!!!.................... they smoke and chew!!! Even while standing on the front porch.

But they are the messiest EVER!!!

I can't help but wonder if they have a 'bathroom' at home, because when they are using mine, they all seem to have a problem with "aim"!!! We're always cleaning up after them!
And they use up stuff or open stuff to strip the paint or make the repairs, and the wrappers and empty containers fall into the garden and they just leave it there!! grrrr!! We're having a little talk on Friday when they return....

now ya know....

Ours here are "Amish Mennonites". They moved in from where Sunshine lives, over the photo ID deal. They wear the old style clothes and hats, the men have the Abe Lincoln beards with no mustache, and they don't like to have their photos made, but otherwise they drive modern cars, use cell phones, and at their general store they have a credit card terminal and all that. (The store is WONDERFUL with all kinds of bulk items you can't get at grocery stores here, like coarse oats, sesame sticks, lots of cheeses and meats...they do their own butchering and sausage making).
So I guess they can't really be stereotyped. Each group seems to have their own ways and their own rules.

Ours here are "Amish Mennonites". They moved in from where Sunshine lives, over the photo ID deal. They wear the old style clothes and hats, the men have the Abe Lincoln beards with no mustache, and they don't like to have their photos made, but otherwise they drive modern cars, use cell phones, and at their general store they have a credit card terminal and all that. (The store is WONDERFUL with all kinds of bulk items you can't get at grocery stores here, like coarse oats, sesame sticks, lots of cheeses and meats...they do their own butchering and sausage making).
So I guess they can't really be stereotyped. Each group seems to have their own ways and their own rules..
Arkansawyer said:
So I guess they can't really be stereotyped. Each group seems to have their own ways and their own rules.
Bulk food stores are a way of life around here. 50# sacks of flour, sugar, anything and everything baking related you could possibly imagine.
What I keep reminding people about is that there is nothing in their religion that says they can't make a living. A good living. And they do. They do it very well.
Sunshine, I will be beyond amazed if when they had you your bill for the job that your porch it's not clean enough to eat off of. I've had some do work at my house before and the place is cleaner when they leave than it is when they got here.

So I guess they can't really be stereotyped. Each group seems to have their own ways and their own rules..
Arkansawyer said:
Each group seems to have their own ways and their own rules.
Just like every person does.

Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Arkansawyer said:
Amen.

Arkansawyer said:
Bulk food stores are a way of life around here. 50# sacks of flour, sugar, anything and everything baking related you could possibly imagine.
What I keep reminding people about is that there is nothing in their religion that says they can't make a living. A good living. And they do. They do it very well.
Sunshine, I will be beyond amazed if when they had you your bill for the job that your porch it's not clean enough to eat off of. I've had some do work at my house before and the place is cleaner when they leave than it is when they got here.
Penelope said:
Good to know.
It definitely has been an interesting experience.

Back