I did it and I'd do it again...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How can we call a guest cheap when WE decide the room rates and a guest wants to book that room and it DOES accomodate 2 people? Vegan breakfast? No problem. I do a really nice fruit plate.

How can we call a guest cheap when WE decide the room rates and a guest wants to book that room and it DOES accomodate 2 people? Vegan breakfast? No problem. I do a really nice fruit plate..
I get it, I really do. I shouldn't assume, and it's not rocket science to prepare any of these special diets, we've all done it and really I don't mind preparing them with notice.
But it's just experience, over the years when this room gets booked first it's been a bad experience for us. If it were far in the future I wouldn't worry about it, because the rest of the house would book up. But this is for very near in the future and I just decided I'd rather be closed and go enjoy a nice day with my family than stay here and be held hostage by one room with special needs.
Hey, this is why I chose a B&B in the first place, I get to be the boss!

Vegan Breakfast = A banana and a glass of soy milk.
Fancy Vegan Breakfast = A strawberry-banana and soy smoothie.
Being in the big city, I can easily suggest they book with others who can better accomodate their diet. I've actually thought of putting an extra charge for Vegan breakfasts, it's not discrimination because it's a choice. Gluten-free is a medical issue, veganism isn't..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Being in the big city, I can easily suggest they book with others who can better accomodate their diet. I've actually thought of putting an extra charge for Vegan breakfasts, it's not discrimination because it's a choice. Gluten-free is a medical issue, veganism isn't.
I'm with you! I was taught by a wise innkeeper (probably on this forum) when I get those super special "can't eat this or that" guests to walk them past the cookie jar. If they eat one of my cookies which has everthing but the kitchen sink in them, don't worry about it and just serve the regular breakfast. IT"S TRUE! They grabbed a cookie so I didn't worry about it.
As far as vegan, they'll get the basic just like you said - fruit salad and juice or coffee. I'm not going to kill myself to come up with something fantastic since I have absolutely no interest in vegan food preparation.
I love my farm fresh using local ingrediant type meals! And that is spelled out on my website. But I have had fun re-creating my popular pancake recipe using gluten free flours. Worked like a charm and tastes great!
RIki
Riki
egoodell said:
I'm with you! I was taught by a wise innkeeper (probably on this forum) when I get those super special "can't eat this or that" guests to walk them past the cookie jar. If they eat one of my cookies which has everthing but the kitchen sink in them, don't worry about it and just serve the regular breakfast. IT"S TRUE! They grabbed a cookie so I didn't worry about it.
Riki
It really IS true. This past weekend we had a family of 3 in a room. When they booked they said "Low sodium, no sugar" diet. Before I confirmed them I emailed to say I couldn't make any of our normal entrees this way but we have oatmeal/cereal/toast and would just need to know for how many people to prepare this. They wrote back that was great, just for one. They get here and the first morning I ask who needs the special diet and the husband/dad says "Never mind, what you're serving looks great!"
Is it possible that it is only April? I am feeling October-cranky already...
sad_smile.gif

Don Draper said:
sad_smile.gif
And now you know why we are going away on Saturday for a week on a cruise. Sure, their breakfast sucks, but I don't have to prepare it. My only responsibility is to eat it and enjoy the rest of my day!
Once May stars, I don't get a single day off until October. I need this week long vacation to ensure that I never has to ask for early parole.

Being in the big city, I can easily suggest they book with others who can better accomodate their diet. I've actually thought of putting an extra charge for Vegan breakfasts, it's not discrimination because it's a choice. Gluten-free is a medical issue, veganism isn't..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Being in the big city, I can easily suggest they book with others who can better accomodate their diet. I've actually thought of putting an extra charge for Vegan breakfasts, it's not discrimination because it's a choice. Gluten-free is a medical issue, veganism isn't.
As far as vegan, they'll get the basic just like you said - fruit salad and juice or coffee. I'm not going to kill myself to come up with something fantastic since I have absolutely no interest in vegan food preparation.
I love my farm fresh using local ingrediant type meals! And that is spelled out on my website. But I have had fun re-creating my popular pancake recipe using gluten free flours. Worked like a charm and tastes great!
RIki
Riki
egoodell said:
Riki
It really IS true. This past weekend we had a family of 3 in a room. When they booked they said "Low sodium, no sugar" diet. Before I confirmed them I emailed to say I couldn't make any of our normal entrees this way but we have oatmeal/cereal/toast and would just need to know for how many people to prepare this. They wrote back that was great, just for one. They get here and the first morning I ask who needs the special diet and the husband/dad says "Never mind, what you're serving looks great!"
sad_smile.gif

Don Draper said:
sad_smile.gif
And now you know why we are going away on Saturday for a week on a cruise. Sure, their breakfast sucks, but I don't have to prepare it. My only responsibility is to eat it and enjoy the rest of my day!
Once May stars, I don't get a single day off until October. I need this week long vacation to ensure that I never has to ask for early parole.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Don Draper said:
sad_smile.gif
So happy for you! Part of our problem is that we did not get away at all this winter (family issues) and part of it is the caliber of April guests (we have a run on parents and teens for spring break, kids never come to breakfast and they still haven't left their room, grrrr).
Please enjoy a sucky breakfast for me! Put your feet up and let your hair down and have a heck of a good time!
cheers.gif

Eric Arthur Blair said:
RIki
Riki
egoodell said:
Riki
sad_smile.gif

Don Draper said:
sad_smile.gif
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Don Draper said:
sad_smile.gif
So happy for you! Part of our problem is that we did not get away at all this winter (family issues) and part of it is the caliber of April guests (we have a run on parents and teens for spring break, kids never come to breakfast and they still haven't left their room, grrrr).
Please enjoy a sucky breakfast for me! Put your feet up and let your hair down and have a heck of a good time!
cheers.gif

We learnt that getting a way is one of the few ways to keep our sanity. If you still can, mark off a few days and at take a few days off. Drive somewhere. Run around the house in your underwear. Anything that gives you a bit of time off. It's for your sanity.
(And thanks for the well wishes! We are counting the days.)

If we ask they will tell us. All of us have a way of eating, all of us have preferences, we ask them like we are dietitions or something, this makes me crazy. Okay there I said it, makes me crazy! Innkeepers are not mommies and are not dietitions. Either post a menu and let them choose or be done with it!
Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest today. A guest who arrived at breakfast 45 minutes late on Sunday told me "I cannot eat wheat." This was after the fact, she had every oppty to share this little tidbit of info. I AM SO FLIPPIN' GLAD I DID NOT KNOW as the whole breakfast was fantastic, and actually a request from a repeat guest!!!!
So the next morning, I made a wheat free, but still made biscuits for the whole full house of which she simply did not eat.
So for the Better way to stayers - let's be realistic, let's be normal, stop trying ot be personal dietitions for our guests - WHO BY THE WAY Will be eating up all your chocolate chip cookies when they tell you no sugar no fat! Where is that "Bad Guests Suck" writer, this HAS TO BE TOLD. tee hee
Oh wait they did kinda mention this topic "Intolerance Intolerance" - click here.
Hi Joey - I'm here!!!!
I think Draper's case might fall more into the Bullets Dodged category!
I am totally with DD on this one - it really sometimes isn't worth it for one night's room rate when you're otherwise empty to go to all the effort to get ready, hang around waiting for a check-in, make a "special" breakfast and do a check-out clean.
Particularly if it means disrupting a run of a few days you can otherwise take off to cram in some much needed relaxing ahead of your busy season.
Re food: I would love to be normal and just serve what we serve and have people be grown up about but (not only are so many people not even remotely grown up when it comes to food pickiness) I can't bear the thought of having a guest suddenly declare, and insist on, all their food weirdnesses at check-in causing me to race out to do a whole load more shopping and re-do the breakfast prep.
Would rather know in advance so we can plan and make our own lives easier.
And also for their own health....if they announced at a 7pm check-in they needed a whole pile of special food and I ran out and re-shopped, re-organised and re-cooked for them and then they wolfed down all the regular stuff at breakfast I could not be held responsible for my actions...

I just typed an excellent reply here to have it lock up when I went to put a smiley on it! DANG!
I was about to give a story similar to this which just happened to me. in a nutshell - someone just booked least expensive room when all others are avail and wrote "Romantic getaway" and it is detached bath.
All they could afford? Liked the room name? Booked the wrong room? Who knows.
As my pc locked up an email comes in from the room booker himelf saying now "Do you have a military discount?" this is after getting the $10 off online. And now is asking about a different room, is it available.

If we ask they will tell us. All of us have a way of eating, all of us have preferences, we ask them like we are dietitions or something, this makes me crazy. Okay there I said it, makes me crazy! Innkeepers are not mommies and are not dietitions. Either post a menu and let them choose or be done with it!
Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest today. A guest who arrived at breakfast 45 minutes late on Sunday told me "I cannot eat wheat." This was after the fact, she had every oppty to share this little tidbit of info. I AM SO FLIPPIN' GLAD I DID NOT KNOW as the whole breakfast was fantastic, and actually a request from a repeat guest!!!!
So the next morning, I made a wheat free, but still made biscuits for the whole full house of which she simply did not eat.
So for the Better way to stayers - let's be realistic, let's be normal, stop trying ot be personal dietitions for our guests - WHO BY THE WAY Will be eating up all your chocolate chip cookies when they tell you no sugar no fat! Where is that "Bad Guests Suck" writer, this HAS TO BE TOLD. tee hee
Oh wait they did kinda mention this topic "Intolerance Intolerance" - click here.
Hi Joey - I'm here!!!!
I am totally with DD on this one - it really sometimes isn't worth it for one night's room rate when you're otherwise empty to go to all the effort to get ready, hang around waiting for a check-in, make a "special" breakfast and do a check-out clean.
Particularly if it means disrupting a run of a few days you can otherwise take off to cram in some much needed relaxing ahead of your busy season.
Re food: I would love to be normal and just serve what we serve and have people be grown up about but (not only are so many people not even remotely grown up when it comes to food pickiness) I can't bear the thought of having a guest suddenly declare, and insist on, all their food weirdnesses at check-in causing me to race out to do a whole load more shopping and re-do the breakfast prep.
Would rather know in advance so we can plan and make our own lives easier.
And also for their own health....if they announced at a 7pm check-in they needed a whole pile of special food and I ran out and re-shopped, re-organised and re-cooked for them and then they wolfed down all the regular stuff at breakfast I could not be held responsible for my actions...
SomeGuestsSuck said:
Hi Joey - I'm here!!!!
Just re-read this..."slappable behavior"....too good!
heart.gif

[h2] here it is now..."we would prefer the XYZ Room, is it more expensive than the other room we have reserved?"[/h2]
Just wondering, how did this dude book this room online in the first friggin' place.
Okay calling on you all for a moment of silence, got THAT EMAIL bickering over price AFTER GIVING HIM A MILITARY DISCOUNT and this one:
THIS IS A VERY GOOD FRIEND OF OURS, AND HIS FATHER WHO IS A GRANDFATHER FIGURE TO US ALL WHO DIED TODAY, he Tony's Adopted American dad. I am going to cry now, and then go to my daughters school for a big meeting with all her teachers. and not respond to that mans email. BYE No condolences necessary, just wanted to share how we live here...bye
At 05:12 AM this morning, April 5, 2011, James Stanley Scott breathed his last breath and passed away very peacefully in his sleep. He was at home with his two dogs, Duke & Duchess, Elizabeth the cat, Glennie, his youngest daughter and myself. Dad finished his adventure in this life and was comfortable moving on to a new home in Heaven with his loving Father.

[h2] here it is now..."we would prefer the XYZ Room, is it more expensive than the other room we have reserved?"[/h2]
Just wondering, how did this dude book this room online in the first friggin' place.
Okay calling on you all for a moment of silence, got THAT EMAIL bickering over price AFTER GIVING HIM A MILITARY DISCOUNT and this one:
THIS IS A VERY GOOD FRIEND OF OURS, AND HIS FATHER WHO IS A GRANDFATHER FIGURE TO US ALL WHO DIED TODAY, he Tony's Adopted American dad. I am going to cry now, and then go to my daughters school for a big meeting with all her teachers. and not respond to that mans email. BYE No condolences necessary, just wanted to share how we live here...bye
At 05:12 AM this morning, April 5, 2011, James Stanley Scott breathed his last breath and passed away very peacefully in his sleep. He was at home with his two dogs, Duke & Duchess, Elizabeth the cat, Glennie, his youngest daughter and myself. Dad finished his adventure in this life and was comfortable moving on to a new home in Heaven with his loving Father..
There are no words big enough to express my sympathies....
Hugs to you ALL
heart.gif

At 05:12 AM this morning, April 5, 2011, James Stanley Scott breathed his last breath and passed away very peacefully in his sleep. He was at home with his two dogs, Duke & Duchess, Elizabeth the cat, Glennie, his youngest daughter and myself. Dad finished his adventure in this life and was comfortable moving on to a new home in Heaven with his loving Father..
Our sympathies to your loss. Very sad.
RIki

Sorry for you and Tony and the family. It's good to have that kind of friendship.

Oh yuck. I"m so sorry for your loss JB. It does make you remember the important things and forget the turkeys. Condolences to the rest of your family too.
broken_heart.gif

Our condolences.

JN - flip the bird to the idiot. Just because they wear a uniform does not cure stupid.
I am so sorry for the loss you and Tony are feeling. But I must say that is the lovliest obit I have seen in a long time. No wonder you thought so much of them. He sounds like a wonderful person surounded by a loving family.

So sorry for your loss JB.
My deepest condolences.

Very sorry to hear that. Take care.

RE the booking for the cheapest room. The turkey emailed to cancel. What a surprise...and then after rehashing this thread in my mind to begin with, is Don correct, is he assuming something he shouldn't, is his gut that strong to feel this is the case, cheap son of a guns? Is that fair?
Well I said "Right on Don!" this morning when I saw the cancellation. He has been emailing since that post yesterday here and wasting my time, and so for that, yes it is within our 7 days policy but I am going to say thank you for cancelling and be done with it. No charge. Again, trust your gut. We can't trust YOUR gut, but we can certainly trust ours.

This is my very first digital camera. I think it was 3 megapixels and I was as excited as can be to pay $500 for this and $300 for the compact flash card! Boy have we come a long way! This photo is pouring the stemwall when we added onto our house in WA State. That is the "Alaskan" in red vest who passed away yesterday. This is the kind of person he was, always willing the lend a hand.
He was always inspirational to me, we need to be the ones to lend a hand, and so many won't and don't care. He was gruff, oh yeah, but he touched lives one person at a time. I LOVE ALL YOU CANTANKEROUS PEOPLE, I am not fond of the wishy washy let's all get along personalities, I actually LOVE YOU FIESTY CANTANKEROUS PERSONALITIES! BE YOU...KEEP BEING YOU!
lrg_stemwall_pour_spout4.jpg

lrg_Raising_Wall.jpg

Back