I did it and I'd do it again...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Draper

Reaction score
Guest books for an upcoming weeknight when the entire house is open. Books the smallest room for 2 people (when the website clearly states that while it can "fit" two people it is much more appropriately sized for one, and the next larger room which is MUCH larger is just $20 more), stated early arrival time, and stated "vegan" for one person for breakfast.
So sorry, we actually have no availability for that night.
I like when you can see 'em coming, at least gives me a chance to head them off at the pass! So not worth heating the house for this nonsense.

Yep don't you just love it!!!!!! I love love love online booking! I do the same for my wine tours with the requests for a tour when they want to decorate the van etc etc etc. Yep you're really interested in tasting wine....
RIki

You know, don't we all, that guests book the cheapest room (especially if you've stated it's not really appropriate) to get a free upgrade. 'We'll take this room, mention it looks a bit small and they'll upgrade us for free!'
We have a couple coming next weekend who booked the cheapest room when the house was wide open. Odd, they always used to book a bigger room until they stayed in the cheapest room last year because all the other rooms were taken. Now this is the only room they book. For some reason they really like it.
I will ask if they want to switch rooms but I'm going to find out what it is that made them change after all these years of booking a different room.

You know, don't we all, that guests book the cheapest room (especially if you've stated it's not really appropriate) to get a free upgrade. 'We'll take this room, mention it looks a bit small and they'll upgrade us for free!'
We have a couple coming next weekend who booked the cheapest room when the house was wide open. Odd, they always used to book a bigger room until they stayed in the cheapest room last year because all the other rooms were taken. Now this is the only room they book. For some reason they really like it.
I will ask if they want to switch rooms but I'm going to find out what it is that made them change after all these years of booking a different room..
guests book the cheapest room ...to get a free upgrade

Especially if you are empty! If I am still empty when they arrive and there is not the issue of having to heat or cool the upgrade room, I will offer the upgrade at a discounted price. If they say no - usually it is the case, then I know PRICE is the reason for the original choice.
I have 1-2 couples that have booked the small room after staying in one of our others... one just told me without asking: "it is comfortable and we aren't in it that long anyway" and of course all the other stuff they are getting regardless of the chosen room.

I will ask if they want to switch rooms but I'm going to find out what it is that made them change after all these years of booking a different room..
They'll call the room "cozy" and they've figured out they're getting the same breakfast, wonderful hosts and experience all the while spending less money! I've got a couple of those myself. There's a big jump in room/amenities from the small room to the rest and it's only a $25 difference. They're probably the "thrifty" type. For the extra 20 bucks, they'll be able to eat dinner (greasy spoon).

They'll call the room "cozy" and they've figured out they're getting the same breakfast, wonderful hosts and experience all the while spending less money! I've got a couple of those myself. There's a big jump in room/amenities from the small room to the rest and it's only a $25 difference. They're probably the "thrifty" type. For the extra 20 bucks, they'll be able to eat dinner (greasy spoon).
For the extra 20 bucks, they'll be able to eat dinner (greasy spoon).
One of mine comes here JUST for the dining experience at a 5 star restaurant nearby. So the extra $20 (same here) goes toward an appetizer or bump up in their choice of wine. Oh, and why they stay here over one of the local chains? Breakfast! I think they would stay in a cardboard box as long as they got a wonderful breakfast....
confused_smile.gif

I probably shouldn't jump to these conclusions, but it just irks me when this happens. It was the special breakfast request that sent me over the edge...just not worth the $$.

You know, we've talked about this before about other reasons why folks book certain rooms and I do think that it's unfair to jump to the conclusion that they are "cheap" because they book the least expensive room. Maybe it's the location in the house? Maybe it's the decor? Maybe it's the view out the window? The bathroom? And so on...
I know that as a guest, we've booked a different room on return stays because we just wanted to try a different room. Or, we realized when we stayed there the first time, that the least expensive room was actually one that we liked better and we never used the jetted tub or upgraded amenity that was in the first room.
And as a B&B owner, I've offered to upgrade guests for free and they've declined the upgrade for whatever reason.
Do you think sometimes we read too much into guest reservations?

You know, we've talked about this before about other reasons why folks book certain rooms and I do think that it's unfair to jump to the conclusion that they are "cheap" because they book the least expensive room. Maybe it's the location in the house? Maybe it's the decor? Maybe it's the view out the window? The bathroom? And so on...
I know that as a guest, we've booked a different room on return stays because we just wanted to try a different room. Or, we realized when we stayed there the first time, that the least expensive room was actually one that we liked better and we never used the jetted tub or upgraded amenity that was in the first room.
And as a B&B owner, I've offered to upgrade guests for free and they've declined the upgrade for whatever reason.
I wish that were the case but it's just not for us. No one is booking this room for anything but price (unless they are solo, in which case it is perfect), especially when the whole rest of the house is open. I realized today it's not reading into anything, it's just relying on our experience over the years. Our instincts are rarely wrong, I"m so glad I denied the reso.
We NEVER offer upgrades. You want the big room, you book it.

I wish that were the case but it's just not for us. No one is booking this room for anything but price (unless they are solo, in which case it is perfect), especially when the whole rest of the house is open. I realized today it's not reading into anything, it's just relying on our experience over the years. Our instincts are rarely wrong, I"m so glad I denied the reso.
My comment was more on a general level, not necessarily for your situation with your smallest room.

I appreciate the fact that after being at a few inns on this forum I can see things others can't, standing there and understanding where the innkeeper is coming from, that is priceless for me. I can see that room and understand completely why yout gut is 100% correct.
Our door is open - come and see us! (well not literally open, but we will give you the code!) :)

Not in my case. I know they're not cheap by a long shot.
But we've all had it happen...the guest who books the lowest-priced room and then tries to have a look around to see what else is on offer.
The reason I say that for me is that the lowest-priced room here is not en suite. Given how long it sometimes takes to book that room when guests realize it is not en suite, that someone takes it for a weekend when every other room is open generally means that's all they can afford OR they are hoping for an upgrade.

Don Draper said:
cheers!

Not in my case. I know they're not cheap by a long shot.
But we've all had it happen...the guest who books the lowest-priced room and then tries to have a look around to see what else is on offer.
The reason I say that for me is that the lowest-priced room here is not en suite. Given how long it sometimes takes to book that room when guests realize it is not en suite, that someone takes it for a weekend when every other room is open generally means that's all they can afford OR they are hoping for an upgrade.
I'm glad that you mention "all that they can afford". People do book the lowest priced room because that is all they can afford, and sometimes it really might be more than they can afford but they are trying to splurge.

I'm glad you listened to your gut instinct and went with it. I'm hoping that a decision I made yesterday will work out. I had the most rude, argumentative woman call and book a room for her sister. She gave me a hassle about our 2 night minimum, but I was able to actually give her our most popular room for the single Sat night she wanted. Oh no, she wanted a different room.....wasn't going to happen. Argued about our cancellation policy, etc., etc. If SHE had been the one staying here, I would have refused her. BUT I kept telling myself, it's her sister, not her. Her sister is the one that chose us. I covered all the bases with her agreeing to all our policies. I've got my fingers crossed though!

Vegan Breakfast = A banana and a glass of soy milk.
Fancy Vegan Breakfast = A strawberry-banana and soy smoothie.
Being in the big city, I can easily suggest they book with others who can better accomodate their diet. I've actually thought of putting an extra charge for Vegan breakfasts, it's not discrimination because it's a choice. Gluten-free is a medical issue, veganism isn't.

Being in the big city, I can easily suggest they book with others who can better accomodate their diet. I've actually thought of putting an extra charge for Vegan breakfasts, it's not discrimination because it's a choice. Gluten-free is a medical issue, veganism isn't..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Being in the big city, I can easily suggest they book with others who can better accomodate their diet. I've actually thought of putting an extra charge for Vegan breakfasts, it's not discrimination because it's a choice. Gluten-free is a medical issue, veganism isn't.
I'm with you! I was taught by a wise innkeeper (probably on this forum) when I get those super special "can't eat this or that" guests to walk them past the cookie jar. If they eat one of my cookies which has everthing but the kitchen sink in them, don't worry about it and just serve the regular breakfast. IT"S TRUE! They grabbed a cookie so I didn't worry about it.
As far as vegan, they'll get the basic just like you said - fruit salad and juice or coffee. I'm not going to kill myself to come up with something fantastic since I have absolutely no interest in vegan food preparation.
I love my farm fresh using local ingrediant type meals! And that is spelled out on my website. But I have had fun re-creating my popular pancake recipe using gluten free flours. Worked like a charm and tastes great!
RIki
Riki

Being in the big city, I can easily suggest they book with others who can better accomodate their diet. I've actually thought of putting an extra charge for Vegan breakfasts, it's not discrimination because it's a choice. Gluten-free is a medical issue, veganism isn't..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
I'm with you! I was taught by a wise innkeeper (probably on this forum) when I get those super special "can't eat this or that" guests to walk them past the cookie jar. If they eat one of my cookies which has everthing but the kitchen sink in them, don't worry about it and just serve the regular breakfast. IT"S TRUE! They grabbed a cookie so I didn't worry about it.
As far as vegan, they'll get the basic just like you said - fruit salad and juice or coffee. I'm not going to kill myself to come up with something fantastic since I have absolutely no interest in vegan food preparation.
I love my farm fresh using local ingrediant type meals! And that is spelled out on my website. But I have had fun re-creating my popular pancake recipe using gluten free flours. Worked like a charm and tastes great!
RIki
Riki
egoodell said:
Riki
It really IS true. This past weekend we had a family of 3 in a room. When they booked they said "Low sodium, no sugar" diet. Before I confirmed them I emailed to say I couldn't make any of our normal entrees this way but we have oatmeal/cereal/toast and would just need to know for how many people to prepare this. They wrote back that was great, just for one. They get here and the first morning I ask who needs the special diet and the husband/dad says "Never mind, what you're serving looks great!"
Is it possible that it is only April? I am feeling October-cranky already...
sad_smile.gif

PS Yes I discovered the highlighter button and I am not afraid to use it! thanks swirt

If we ask they will tell us. All of us have a way of eating, all of us have preferences, we ask them like we are dietitions or something, this makes me crazy. Okay there I said it, makes me crazy! Innkeepers are not mommies and are not dietitions. Either post a menu and let them choose or be done with it!
Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest today. A guest who arrived at breakfast 45 minutes late on Sunday told me "I cannot eat wheat." This was after the fact, she had every oppty to share this little tidbit of info. I AM SO FLIPPIN' GLAD I DID NOT KNOW as the whole breakfast was fantastic, and actually a request from a repeat guest!!!!
So the next morning, I made a wheat free, but still made biscuits for the whole full house of which she simply did not eat.
So for the Better way to stayers - let's be realistic, let's be normal, stop trying ot be personal dietitions for our guests - WHO BY THE WAY Will be eating up all your chocolate chip cookies when they tell you no sugar no fat! Where is that "Bad Guests Suck" writer, this HAS TO BE TOLD. tee hee
Oh wait they did kinda mention this topic "Intolerance Intolerance" - click here

Back