I didn't realising I was booking

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Highlands John

Reaction score
I get this a lot, do others?
People go into our website, through to our booking system, select a date and room, put in their name, phone number and email address but don't complete the deposit payment.
When I email to say we are holding the room, but we need the deposit payment, they write back and say sorry, we didn't realise we were booking the room.
Had one of these today. It's bizarre, why are they putting in all their personal details?

We don't get any of those because they must enter their credit card information. Once they've gotten that far, they know they've committed.

Same as BD. You have to enter the cc info or there is an error msg.

Same as BD. The room is still available until somebody has entered their charge card info and clicked the Reserve button. After that, it's a done deal and they receive their reservation confirmation number in the first of 3 pre-arrival e-mails.
Three, you ask? Yes.
  1. Thank you for making a reservation. Here's your confirmation number (generated immediately by the reservation system)
  2. Here is your door entry key code and how to use it (manually generated and sent by me after I see if they have given a code they prefer to use, or if I need to generate one for them)
  3. Your reservation is 3 days away, and here's how to find our place, and be sure to bring your own refreshments because we are, sadly, a dry county and there's no place to buy alcohol without driving 20 minutes to the next county. (generated and sent by the system three days before arrival day)

My system doesn't keep anything until there is a CC number. Maybe you need to look at the reservation system, because it shouldn't consider anything booked with a CC number.

Had a dingbat enter all his information including credit card, clicked "Yes" that his information was correct, clicked the box on the next screen saying that he agreed to our policies and then got our confirmation screen. His CC was denied. When I called him up, he said, "Oh, I didn't want to make a reservation, I was just trying to figure out what the price was."
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

Had a dingbat enter all his information including credit card, clicked "Yes" that his information was correct, clicked the box on the next screen saying that he agreed to our policies and then got our confirmation screen. His CC was denied. When I called him up, he said, "Oh, I didn't want to make a reservation, I was just trying to figure out what the price was."
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif
Yes, that's the other thing they say.

My system doesn't keep anything until there is a CC number. Maybe you need to look at the reservation system, because it shouldn't consider anything booked with a CC number..
It's doesn't consider anything booked. I use pa ypa l to take deposits, so they enter their details, then they go to a pa ypa l screen which takes the card details and charges the 25% deposit.
The booking appears on my system as "pending" until the pa ypa l notification comes through that the deposit has cleared, once that happens the booking changes to confirmed and they get sent a confirmation of their booking.
If that doesn't happen the booking appears on my "to do list" as awaiting deposit. I can either generate an email to tell them how to pay, cancel it or manually input the deposit (for example if the phone me with their card details). They can also make the payment which changes it to a confirmed booking.

Back