I do not like to hear this.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depending on where you're located, you may see more of this. There are lots of lodging places offering discounts. I've NEVER seen some high end B&Bs in CA offer discounts, and now they are. We are offering a February special and a March one as well. I always discount to Military & our local University, single business guests, and long-term stays.
It's not worth turning the heat up & everything else for a single room discount shopper though.....
Samster said:
Depending on where you're located, you may see more of this. There are lots of lodging places offering discounts. I've NEVER seen some high end B&Bs in CA offer discounts, and now they are. We are offering a February special and a March one as well. I always discount to Military & our local University, single business guests, and long-term stays.
It's not worth turning the heat up & everything else for a single room discount shopper though....
A special promotion with discount is not the same thing as asking for the "best you can do?" either. I think that is the big difference.
Thanks! I don't think it's the same either....but sometimes on here I feel like I'm in the minority for offering discounts :) Even though our least expensive room is over $150/night.....
My dh contends that last minute bookings should pay MORE! haha!

It's not worth turning the heat up & everything else for a single room discount shopper though.....
Samster said:
It's not worth turning the heat up & everything else for a single room discount shopper though....
A special promotion with discount is not the same thing as asking for the "best you can do?" either. I think that is the big difference.
Thanks! I don't think it's the same either....but sometimes on here I feel like I'm in the minority for offering discounts :) Even though our least expensive room is over $150/night.....
My dh contends that last minute bookings should pay MORE! haha!
I'm with your DH! Last minute booking make me scurry - gotta check the food and get the flowers for the room etc.
My last minute booking for Valentine weekend was asking if I could get a larger bouquet of roses than I had in the room and here I'm in the middle of running a wine tour...no, don't think so... just be glad we had any roses in a cancelled room period! I'd put them in there just in case...!
RIki

I am very new to innkeeping, yet I can already relate to this. It is extremely frustrating. I am getting better at coping with it. The last time I heard the dreaded words I informed them (politely) that I could not lower my rates and that if they wanted to drive down the road a mile they could stay at the Super 8 types and pay nearly twice what I was asking. I offered to show them the room and they ended up staying and pleased. It is winter here and VERY slow. I think the 'deal-makers' got me to the point that I've gone way too low on rates. I fear the 'deal-makers' so I went low enough where I absolutely could not, would not negotiate. Yet they still tried! Ugh. So, I put up a small sign on my bulletin board stating 'rates are not negotable'. Hopefully that will help. I haven't had any customers to try it out on yet though..
mz.lori said:
I am very new to innkeeping, yet I can already relate to this. It is extremely frustrating. I am getting better at coping with it. The last time I heard the dreaded words I informed them (politely) that I could not lower my rates and that if they wanted to drive down the road a mile they could stay at the Super 8 types and pay nearly twice what I was asking. I offered to show them the room and they ended up staying and pleased. It is winter here and VERY slow. I think the 'deal-makers' got me to the point that I've gone way too low on rates. I fear the 'deal-makers' so I went low enough where I absolutely could not, would not negotiate. Yet they still tried! Ugh. So, I put up a small sign on my bulletin board stating 'rates are not negotable'. Hopefully that will help. I haven't had any customers to try it out on yet though.
Here's another tack you may want to try...RAISE the rates so you can discount down to what you set as your lowest price. That way you get your price and the dealers get their discount. Putting up signs just encourages those folks who HAVE to get a deal no matter what. They are dealing for bragging rights. 'Yeah, she had this sign that said 'no deals' but I talked her into it.'

I am very new to innkeeping, yet I can already relate to this. It is extremely frustrating. I am getting better at coping with it. The last time I heard the dreaded words I informed them (politely) that I could not lower my rates and that if they wanted to drive down the road a mile they could stay at the Super 8 types and pay nearly twice what I was asking. I offered to show them the room and they ended up staying and pleased. It is winter here and VERY slow. I think the 'deal-makers' got me to the point that I've gone way too low on rates. I fear the 'deal-makers' so I went low enough where I absolutely could not, would not negotiate. Yet they still tried! Ugh. So, I put up a small sign on my bulletin board stating 'rates are not negotable'. Hopefully that will help. I haven't had any customers to try it out on yet though..
mz.lori said:
I am very new to innkeeping, yet I can already relate to this. It is extremely frustrating. I am getting better at coping with it. The last time I heard the dreaded words I informed them (politely) that I could not lower my rates and that if they wanted to drive down the road a mile they could stay at the Super 8 types and pay nearly twice what I was asking. I offered to show them the room and they ended up staying and pleased. It is winter here and VERY slow. I think the 'deal-makers' got me to the point that I've gone way too low on rates. I fear the 'deal-makers' so I went low enough where I absolutely could not, would not negotiate. Yet they still tried! Ugh. So, I put up a small sign on my bulletin board stating 'rates are not negotable'. Hopefully that will help. I haven't had any customers to try it out on yet though.
Here's another tack you may want to try...RAISE the rates so you can discount down to what you set as your lowest price. That way you get your price and the dealers get their discount. Putting up signs just encourages those folks who HAVE to get a deal no matter what. They are dealing for bragging rights. 'Yeah, she had this sign that said 'no deals' but I talked her into it.'
Bree said:
Mz Lori - First of all
welcome.gif
glad you joined us. Now Bree has an excellent idea here. And it will be better for your future business as well. If you do give a discount, they will KNOW it is a discount as they will know your regular rates. And for those that do not ask for a discount, you will get what your place is REALLY worth!!! Additionally, do not forget to let these dealers know that your place is already a bargin at the regular rate because you provide a good hot breakfast and ..all the extras they would not get down the road. If you are like me, it is hard to brag on yourself (well your B&B) but you must get over it and do so. Good luck and I look forward to seeing your posts.

Welcome from a neighbor in Lincoln, NE

Back