I don't allow pets, but...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Luckily under the NHR we are exempt from even taking service animals. We currently have a piece of Abraham Lincoln's furniture on loan from NPS and they make it clear no one will bring a pet into the building as long as it's here. Thank goodness, I don't want to sound like I am the Baroness from Chitty Chitty Bang Band but the only thing worse than children is pets.
To be precise, service dogs are not considered “pets” legally. Does your exemption specifically say “pets”? Or does it specifically make mention of “ service animals “?

This is what we have on our confirmation among the other policies. We rarely get a guest who wants to claim a service animal... the last one was 2 years ago and it turned out to be a puppy... grrrrrrr

Service Animals
Please let the innkeeper know when booking your reservation that a service dog will be accompanying you. Service animals are permitted in all areas where guests are allowed. Service animals are animals that are trained to perform a specific task for the benefit of a person with a disability. The innkeepers may ask what task(s) the service animal performs.
The following types of animals are not permitted:
Comfort Animals: Animals not trained to perform a specific task, but which are said to provide emotional support or to relieve anxiety simply by their presence.
Pets: Animals for which no claim of any service is made.
You must keep your service animal under control at all times. The animal should always be on a leash, harness or other tether, unless either the handler is unable because of his/her disability to use a harness, leash or other tether, or the use of a harness, leash or other tether would interfere with the service animal's safe, effective performance of work or tasks, in which case the service animal must be otherwise under the handler's control.

Back