I Don't Have a Credit Card, But Can I Stay?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suzie Q

Reaction score
I just got a request from someone who said they don't have a credit card to hold the room, but they would like me to reserve a room for them in a couple of weeks. How would you handle it?
Thanks!
C

I agree - send a check for the FULL rez + tax. When it clears the rez is confirmed.

I totally agree check for full payment and it has to be in your hand at least 2 weeks before arrival so you can get it cleared and make sure you have the money before they come. Or I don't know how easy electronic transfer is in America? is that an option?

I totally agree check for full payment and it has to be in your hand at least 2 weeks before arrival so you can get it cleared and make sure you have the money before they come. Or I don't know how easy electronic transfer is in America? is that an option?.
I don't really know much about electronic transfer, except that is how I pay my bills. Paypal?

remnjava said:
I just got a request from someone who said they don't have a credit card to hold the room, but they would like me to reserve a room for them in a couple of weeks. How would you handle it?
Thanks!
C
These rare situations make me nervous. Sure they can pre pay you with a check, however if they are distructive, trash the room or something like that, you have no security.

remnjava said:
Thanks!
C
These rare situations make me nervous. Sure they can pre pay you with a check, however if they are distructive, trash the room or something like that, you have no security..
The Farmers Daughter said:
remnjava said:
Thanks!
C
These rare situations make me nervous. Sure they can pre pay you with a check, however if they are distructive, trash the room or something like that, you have no security.
Not to open that can of words, but when a credit card is given as a deposit or to secure a room it is for the room, it cannot be used for "trashing the room" - we like to think the guest thinks so, but it is not the case according to the credit card agreements. Aren't you one who had a story about this? Not to rehash it all, but you know what I mean, they pay for the room, full stop, can't be used for anything other than incidentals.

remnjava said:
Thanks!
C
These rare situations make me nervous. Sure they can pre pay you with a check, however if they are distructive, trash the room or something like that, you have no security..
Yes, ask them to post the check immediately. Also, do you accept paypal?
They don't need a credit card to use paypal, it may be an option.

Who doesn't have VISA? Even my Amish guests paid with a debit card...
=)
Kk.

=)
Kk..
People with bad credit, that's who. I know a lot of them these days - fortunately, not many who are booking a room. Sadly, that's another red flag on the reservation. You need payment in full in advance.

ditto the 'get payment in advance and make sure it clears' before you confirm the reservation. maybe request a bank check, not a personal one and not from a foreign bank. i was surprised it can take a while for a bogus check to finally come back and bite you. so paypal might be the way to go ... if the percentage they take isn't prohibitive?
it's a bit worrisome to me ... because, as others have said, why no card? debit cards with the visa logo accompany most checking accounts these days. did you mention that you will take a debit card with the visa logo? possibly they have a negative balance in their checking account ..... doesn't mean they don't have the right to get away for a couple days, but they might be cutting it too close and bounce checks. you just have to figure out how to insure that you are paid upfront.
i believe anyone can get a pre-paid visa if not a secured visa so that they have a card ... for emergencies, for renting a car, for an additional ID ... i 'bought' a prepaid card for a relative a year or so ago. it was basically a gift card but it was visa and could be used just like any other credit card.

=)
Kk..
Could be Dave Ramsey fans, who like to pay cash for everything (or check).
remnjava said:
Could be Dave Ramsey fans, who like to pay cash for everything (or check).
I'm a Dave Ramsey fan and I still have a VISA debit card. I've had some stay here... they secured the room with the card and paid cash when they arrived.
=)
Kk.

Get payment in advance. Not PayPal as you are not covered under PayPal's rules unless you offer a tangible product. Not money orders as they can be stolen. Ditto postal money orders. You want the guest's info on their check. Then you want to call the bank and insure there is money in the account to cover the check and then deposit it. Definitely 2 weeks in advance, if not more.
I've only had a couple of people call who did not have a cc. They then used mom or dad's to book the room and paid cash on arrival. OR, had mom or dad buy them a GC and they paid mom or dad back however.
Can you tell if you've got yourself a couple of teenagers for the prom? It's that time of year you know.

ah, i forgot dave ramsey advocates no credit cards. i like a lot of what he says. but he, himself, admits it can be challenging to make reservations without one.

ah, i forgot dave ramsey advocates no credit cards. i like a lot of what he says. but he, himself, admits it can be challenging to make reservations without one..
Guess I am out of it....don't have a clue who Dave Ramsey is?
embaressed_smile.gif

by the way, credit cards were my preferred payment method but the little hotel across the road from me STILL does not accept credit cards. he requires personal checks or cash.

Back