"I don't have a reservation, but have to cancel anyway"

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendydk

Reaction score
Just got this email for an arrival tomorrow:
Hello,
I thought I made a reservation two weeks ago for this weekend. I never received any type of confirmation and this left me confused. So this a formal cancellation if there ever was a reservation. Your place looks wonderful and I would love to visit sometime but I had to make other arrangements. Thanks anyways.
All the best,

XXX XXXXX

Emailed him back saying:

Hello XXX
You did make a reservation on 6/6/2010, and a confirmation was sent to you at this email address, which I have a copy of. Our cancellation policy requires a 7-day notice, and you were required to check the box confirming that you understood our policies when you made the online reservation, and I have a copy of that as well. I will open the room back up for re-rental, but your deposit will be forfeited and your credit card will also be charged for the second night if the room is not re-rented.
Perhaps you can find a way to make it since you've already paid for one night?
Not a very clever boy......thank goodness the new and improved me no longer gnashes her teeth and tears at her hair over this kind of stuff......

The deal is IF YOU GIVE SOMEONE YOUR CREDIT CARD then it really is up to you to follow up IF You for some odd reason can't find the confirmation. I had a chap do this as he never checks his AOL (who would!) account. LOL
You did the right thing, and his sweet talking and possible lying that he never got the confirmation won't float. GO LB!
cheers.gif

I had this happen recently too. The confirmation went into her junk mail folder.
When a guest makes an online reservation, there is an automated response telling them that they will receive their confirmation and directions in a separate email. They are further instructed to contact us if they do not receive a confirmation within 24 hours. When they call, I tell them to expect an email confirmation and, should they not receive one within the hour, call me.
Do they call? Nope. Do I care? Nope. I have their credit card information and acknowledgement of our cancellation policies. I have no problem charging them.

Odd you got this today. I had a rez come in last week that I needed to clarify so I emailed. Nothing. OK, could be a work email so I waited until Monday and called. They explained, I confirmed rez, everyone happy. Then, an hour later, the original email I sent was bounced back, 3 days after I sent it. The confirm came back, too.
Lately, a LOT of my emails aren't getting thru, even if I send them via my personal account.
However, to say you never got the confirm so you're cancelling is lame. Call for Pete's sake.

I had this happen recently too. The confirmation went into her junk mail folder.
When a guest makes an online reservation, there is an automated response telling them that they will receive their confirmation and directions in a separate email. They are further instructed to contact us if they do not receive a confirmation within 24 hours. When they call, I tell them to expect an email confirmation and, should they not receive one within the hour, call me.
Do they call? Nope. Do I care? Nope. I have their credit card information and acknowledgement of our cancellation policies. I have no problem charging them..
My 'thanks for booking' page says the same thing. You will hear from us within 24 hours, please contact us if you don't receive your confirmation. (Check your spam folder, too!)
It's rare that they call or email. Or, they read the email confirm the day they leave and call frantically because we've said right in the email to verify they have received it and they think we've cancelled them for not responding.

People can do us all a favor and lose the hotmail and aol for dummies accounts!!!
We have a joke (and sorry if the shoe fits) but it is one of those "Yeah he probably has an aol account" In other words dufus!
So that is what people give, they GIVE US THEIR CREDIT CARD but can't trust us with a normal email address? Puleez
pita.gif

People can do us all a favor and lose the hotmail and aol for dummies accounts!!!
We have a joke (and sorry if the shoe fits) but it is one of those "Yeah he probably has an aol account" In other words dufus!
So that is what people give, they GIVE US THEIR CREDIT CARD but can't trust us with a normal email address? Puleez
pita.gif
Love your tag line!!

pita.gif
You can take their money, but don't send them spam email!

?
if i 'tried' to make a reservation, gave my cc info, and didn't hear back, i would be calling YOU.
confused_smile.gif

Have you heard back?.
Morticia said:
Have you heard back?
Not a word; will be interesting to see if he shows up...and if so...will he be a jerk?
Yeah, that's what would concern me...you get a rez to take his place and he shows. Then what? Or, he does come and acts like an idiot just to 'show you'.
Which reminds me...my cancel from last week needs an email reminder that her room last night wasn't rebooked.

Have you heard back?.
Morticia said:
Have you heard back?
Not a word; will be interesting to see if he shows up...and if so...will he be a jerk?
Yeah, that's what would concern me...you get a rez to take his place and he shows. Then what? Or, he does come and acts like an idiot just to 'show you'.
Which reminds me...my cancel from last week needs an email reminder that her room last night wasn't rebooked.
Morticia said:
Or, he does come and acts like an idiot just to 'show you'.
That would be the first test of the new and improved "me first" innkeeping style. If he acts like an idiot, he's out of here, albeit nicely. A shared bath reservation (in terms of money and hassle) is frankly not worth putting up with any crap from someone like that, especially when the two other couples here are repeats (both named Scott and Beth, weird, huh??)

LB you might recall a similar situation I had last fall, and he ended up showing as he was too dang cheap to let is slide. He ended up OKAY once he was here, for which I was grateful, I too had braced myself for a real PITA. It was just an incentive for him to get his butt in gear and get here, after all was said and done.
Tell me more of the new you, the new style, I need to rethink and rehash and renew...a new thread maybe?

LB you might recall a similar situation I had last fall, and he ended up showing as he was too dang cheap to let is slide. He ended up OKAY once he was here, for which I was grateful, I too had braced myself for a real PITA. It was just an incentive for him to get his butt in gear and get here, after all was said and done.
Tell me more of the new you, the new style, I need to rethink and rehash and renew...a new thread maybe?.
Joey Bloggs said:
Tell me more of the new you, the new style, I need to rethink and rehash and renew...a new thread maybe?
For the last seven+ years, the Inn always came first. I missed funerals, weddings, birthdays and every damn 4th of July since we bought the house. Every day I would sit here all day, even if guests were all gone from breakfast until sundown...felt like I had to be or bad things would happen.
I decided that I am going to do things differently starting this summer. I am going to get away from the house and spend time with my family at every opportunity, sit on my porch with a beer in the evening even if guests see me, limit Saturday and holiday arrivals and not be shy in asking people to check in at a time that's convenient for ME. I raised rates again and we're even considering changing the rooms we offer for rental starting this fall in order to give us more space and our own bathroom...we'll see about that one....while the Inn is for sale, the way we do it now is the best way to show great revenues. As the days go by, I'm increasingly glad that we're small, and that selling it as an Inn is not our only option.
Thanks goodness the family health issues that caused us to list are only simmering....downhill slowly but steadily seems to be the outlook, which at least allows us to plan out what will happen rather than to be constantly reacting!

Thanks LB.
From all consuming to living...I like it.
I am more determined than ever to let the machine get the calls, I already do this, I don't even use a cell phone and when I am gone I am gone. My sanity depends on this. But when I am gone I come back and get all frazzled again like the multiple calls from that guest playing the system. She called and called and called and them I walked in and got irritated after trying to have an afternoon to relax. Are we not allowed to relax? Your beer on the porch is the best idea yet. I applaud you.
As much as I want to keep my numbers up, I am taking the time to block off days and live. I already went swimming more so far this year than I did the last year combined. 3 times. I am going to try to stick with that as you are. Appreciate your sharing.

I learned a long time ago if Mamma isn't happy no one is, and this goes for guest too!
cheers.gif
cheers!!!

Back