I don't think we'll ever understand why...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaisyMae

Reaction score
guests arriving later today, or so i though. When they made the reservation, she mentioned that they would probably arrive around 6 p.m.
my clock must be REALLY slow because they arrived at 9:14 tis a.m. they said they would like to check in. DH answered the door and told them the your guestroom is not ready actually we just finished breakfast a few moments ago. they say o.k. i guess we'll be back later.
i know we have all mentioend these "early" check ins ( early isn't even the word) but i don't think we will ever understand why. we assume they must have been staying at another place in the area in order to show up so early, because they are from MA.

That's why when I know someone is going on to another B&B from here, I ask where they are going and what is their check in time. 9 out of 10 say, 'I don't know what the check-in time is, do you? We just figured we'd stop in when we got there.'
I tell them, 'If you don't stop along the way, you'll be there by noon. I can almost guarantee your room won't be ready and neither will the innkeeper. Here are a few sights to see along the way. Stop and have lunch. Your check in time is probably 3 PM.'
Someday someone will arrive here during breakast when either my family or some really good natured guests are here. I will turn to those breakfasting guests and say, 'These people are here for your room, do you mind if they put their bags in the room and use the facilities or would you prefer they wait until you're gone?'
I know guests don't think in advance that they might be putting the innkeeper in an awkward position when they arrive before check out. They want to get themselves settled in for the day so they can be on vacation and not worrying about getting back to get keys and what not when they would rather be doing something else.

When we've had unexpected early arrivals I let them leave their bags in the entranceway and then send them off for the day. The problem is if they need to use a restroom. We don't have a public restroom and the one on the first floor is also our laundry room so it's ALWAYS full of laundry. One time we had someone arrive at around 9:00 in the morning by taxi (she was from China and didn't drive). She sat in our living room until her room was ready. I was in the middle of serving breakfast and suddenly felt I should be offering her scones and coffee, etc. when I wasn't prepared for her arrival. That was stressful!

mollysmom said:
guests arriving later today, or so i though. When they made the reservation, she mentioned that they would probably arrive around 6 p.m.
my clock must be REALLY slow because they arrived at 9:14 tis a.m. they said they would like to check in. DH answered the door and told them the your guestroom is not ready actually we just finished breakfast a few moments ago. they say o.k. i guess we'll be back later.
i know we have all mentioend these "early" check ins ( early isn't even the word) but i don't think we will ever understand why. we assume they must have been staying at another place in the area in order to show up so early, because they are from MA.
Are you in MA? So am I!

we had guests show up for a room for 2 who had child in tow..... room is only for 2 people and room for family was already booked. I guess they didn't think children in arms counted. I did offer to check availability elsewhere but they declined. Hate when that happens

That's why when I know someone is going on to another B&B from here, I ask where they are going and what is their check in time. 9 out of 10 say, 'I don't know what the check-in time is, do you? We just figured we'd stop in when we got there.'
I tell them, 'If you don't stop along the way, you'll be there by noon. I can almost guarantee your room won't be ready and neither will the innkeeper. Here are a few sights to see along the way. Stop and have lunch. Your check in time is probably 3 PM.'
Someday someone will arrive here during breakast when either my family or some really good natured guests are here. I will turn to those breakfasting guests and say, 'These people are here for your room, do you mind if they put their bags in the room and use the facilities or would you prefer they wait until you're gone?'
I know guests don't think in advance that they might be putting the innkeeper in an awkward position when they arrive before check out. They want to get themselves settled in for the day so they can be on vacation and not worrying about getting back to get keys and what not when they would rather be doing something else..
Bree said:
Bree, I gotta be honest, I'd be ticked if I was asked that!
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

I know guests don't think in advance that they might be putting the innkeeper in an awkward position when they arrive before check out. They want to get themselves settled in for the day so they can be on vacation and not worrying about getting back to get keys and what not when they would rather be doing something else..
Oh how good it would be to see the faces of early arrivals as that question was asked. One of those many questions that will forever be a mental one that we WISH could be verbal! I wish I had thought of it.

Bree said:

Mr.Design said:
Bree said:
She said if it was her family she'd do that... not a regular guest! :wink:
=)
Kk.

Bree said:

Mr.Design said:
Bree said:
That's why I'd only do it if it was family or a really good natured guest (as in someone I know very well).

Back