I earned my week off (warning - long)

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aussie Innkeeper

Reaction score
No guests for this upcoming week as we are having some floors refinished. I was so looking forward to this, a few days off, but had no idea what kind of weekend from hell I was going to have to endure before I got to Sunday afternoon.
It started Friday evening about 6:30. I only had two check-ins and they were all there by 5 so we were free to go to a college alumni event about 25 minutes away. Then I get a text and voicemail from a frantic guest who tells me that she's waiting to check in! WHAT!?? They weren't supposed to be here till tomorrow at 1. So, we cut our evening short and they go out to dinner and meet us shortly after we return home. She is not very happy, but I offer them another room that is available since 'theirs' is already taken. Fine, whatever. Of course now I have to completely re-arrange their massages and accomplish that via text messages with the therapists. Oh, and now I have 4 tun-overs instead of 3 on Saturday.
So I rush around Saturday after breakfast and a check-in shows up at noon! Fortunately the room was ready. Then I get a call from Ericka. She had made arrangements several weeks ago to pay for a night for her mom and dad (note to self, I'm NEVER doing that again!). She needs to give me an updated cc#. A couple of weeks ago her mother called me to arrange for a friend of hers to also have a room for the night, but she has a party of 3. I had a room for them, too. So I'm talking to Ericka on the phone when I mention the 5 people who are coming and she says, no, there are only two. So, at this point I'm not sure who is coming or when or how many. I get the new cc# and run it immediately for the party of 2.
The party of 5 show up. Two men, two women and a younger woman who is clearly severely autistic. I show them the rooms and the one woman is really turned off. She doesn't speak English, but I can tell by her mannerisms. They leave to go to a show and then I get into a text-messaging dialogue with Erika who is royally pissed at her parents for bringing these other people with them (they paid for their own room) and ruining what she wanted to be a perfectly nice weekend for her parents.
The party of 5 do not return until after 11pm and I am in bed. Before they left we discussed the time for breakfast. They elected 8:30. At 8:24 this morning, one of them comes down to tell my husband that they will be having breakfast at 9:30 instead! This means that the breakfast for 9 people at 8:30 is only now going to be serving 4 and I have to come up with something else for 5 more people at 9:30 which was originally just going to be 2. I WANT THEM OUT OF MY HOUSE!
After breakfast the autistic girl is babbling very loudly in Spanish (I think) and running around the parlor. Fortunately, by this time most of the other guests have left. They finally leave, too.
oh wait...I'm not finished...
The early birds(stay with me here, the ones who showed up on Friday instead of Saturday) who have now stayed in two rooms have completely stripped them of all the amenities. Even the tissue boxes and K-cups! Not only that, but they took my tip envelope! Now look! I really don't give a rat's you-know-what if you don't want to tip. Fine! Just don't take my envelope! And to top it off, they completely clogged the toilet. This was no ordinary clog. This toilet looked like a porta-john at the county fair! No one should ever need to use that much toilet paper in one 'sitting' for anything! DH literally had to use a shovel before he could get to it with a plunger and was gagging the whole time. It was awful! But, they are GONE, GONE, GONE and I just got out of the hot tub with a glass of wine.

I am speechless. No one should have that kind of weekend...it's enough to make anyone want to put out the no vacancy sign!

Lock the door and don't answer the bell. Take the time.
What a bunch of jerks!

I am very sorry and will sing you the innspiring theme song "They stay, they pay, they go away!"
May the week ahead feel miles ahead of the last.

To have every type of Guest From Hell in ONE weekend is way over the top. That kind of weekend creates former innkeepers.
You deserved 2 classes of wine - and Hubs deserved 3.

I also hate when they take or toss the tip envelope because they are too cheap to leave a tip. So you don't tip... why ruin a perfectly good reusable envelope?

Pull out your voodoo doll and have a party with it while enjoying a good stiff drink! (Oh maybe that's just me who has one! If so, you can live vicariously through me, just envision it, it's sure to put a smile on anyone's face.) Enjoy your time off, you more than earned it.

I also hate when they take or toss the tip envelope because they are too cheap to leave a tip. So you don't tip... why ruin a perfectly good reusable envelope?.
Generic said:
I also hate when they take or toss the tip envelope because they are too cheap to leave a tip. So you don't tip... why ruin a perfectly good reusable envelope?
You asked me Generic a while back about a rogue guest we had, why what happened?
He was in my face swearing (F bomb included) over a tip envelope in the room. I won't go into details, just suffice it to say it was not nice, and he would not have done this if DH were at the helm. I am hiding this in here. I am still recoiling from the event, even now my eyes are dampening. And when we say "Too bad DH wasn't on the premises when it happened" We have since turned it to "We are glad DH was not on the premises when it happened...it would not have ended well"

I also hate when they take or toss the tip envelope because they are too cheap to leave a tip. So you don't tip... why ruin a perfectly good reusable envelope?.
Generic said:
You asked me Generic a while back about a rogue guest we had, why what happened?
He was in my face swearing (F bomb included) over a tip envelope in the room. I won't go into details, just suffice it to say it was not nice, and he would not have done this if DH were at the helm. I am hiding this in here. I am still recoiling from the event, even now my eyes are dampening. And when we say "Too bad DH wasn't on the premises when it happened" We have since turned it to "We are glad DH was not on the premises when it happened...it would not have ended well"
There is no excuse for that. Ever. Sorry you had to deal with that kind of jerk.

Always amazed when guests go 'shopping' in our rooms. And, yes, they also take the tip card and/or envelope.

BTW, Gomez thinks they may have plugged the toilet intentionally. If they walked off with all the amenities, they sound like the kind of guests who 'get back at you' for perceived wrongs.

Generic said:
Although it is a thankful DH was not there, you are correct that it would not have happened if he were - bullies perceive women as lesser beings and will ONLY pick on someone they can feel superior to (in their minds). Had it NOT been innkeeper mode, he would have had a different ending. HE would have been the one on the receiving end as the scene ended. It is sad that those people exist - and worse - reproduce.

BTW, Gomez thinks they may have plugged the toilet intentionally. If they walked off with all the amenities, they sound like the kind of guests who 'get back at you' for perceived wrongs..
what kind of weirdo vandalizes an inn room?
probably not worth it, but you do have their info, call the cops? vandalism is a crime. as is stealing.

Oh the life of an Innkeeper. Never can tell what a day will bring. So did they just decide to come a day early with out telling you? Or was it a mistake on someones part? Sounds like this was what set the whole downward spiral in motion.

Generic said:
Some people have absolutely no class at all. None, whatsoever. I would have simply said to them that tips aren't expected, just appreciated by the housekeeping staff.

Generic said:
If that had happened to DH or me, DH would have processed the refund and asked them to leave.
Some people are just a$$holes. Was this recently?

BTW, Gomez thinks they may have plugged the toilet intentionally. If they walked off with all the amenities, they sound like the kind of guests who 'get back at you' for perceived wrongs..
what kind of weirdo vandalizes an inn room?
probably not worth it, but you do have their info, call the cops? vandalism is a crime. as is stealing.
None of what they did would stand up as either stealing nor vandalism, much as we would like it to. Clogging the toilet? Happens all the time and the amenities are there to be used. Greedy does not count. Vandalism basically means damage and all they did was cause a lot of disgusting work, not actual damage.
To the guests of your weekend, Aussie: we can wish the blessing of the desert, may a herd of fleas invade their crotch and their arms be too short to scratch.

Generic said:
Don't understand why he was even bothered! you tip or you don't its that simple - same as anywhere.

Back