I found you on the internet!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
I found you on the internet!
Oh brother.
Really? You don't say, I am shocked at that.
(no sarcasm is not a good trait of mine)

Duh.
tounge_smile.gif

ok, so we're located in a rural area. I just have to shake my head when a guest asks "how do people find you?" Uhhhhhh......the same way you did?!?!?!?!?!?!

I really appreciated it, he was doing me a favor by letting me know this. He said he thought I would like to know.
"Wait, what's the internet?"

ok, so we're located in a rural area. I just have to shake my head when a guest asks "how do people find you?" Uhhhhhh......the same way you did?!?!?!?!?!?!.
Breakfast Diva said:
ok, so we're located in a rural area. I just have to shake my head when a guest asks "how do people find you?" Uhhhhhh......the same way you did?!?!?!?!?!?!
I get this ALL the time! People are so proud of themselves for finding a "hidden gem", you'd think they discovered a worm hole to another universe of something. Too funny.

ok, so we're located in a rural area. I just have to shake my head when a guest asks "how do people find you?" Uhhhhhh......the same way you did?!?!?!?!?!?!.
Breakfast Diva said:
I get this ALL the time! People are so proud of themselves for finding a "hidden gem", you'd think they discovered a worm hole to another universe of something. Too funny.
And people in our own town do not know we exist! Go figure.

Breakfast Diva said:
happyjacks said:
Breakfast Diva said:
cheers.gif

What makes me laugh is when we have a conference in and they say - "oh you can have a nice rest now" like we go into hibernation till they come back next year!
Nope - we have to do a full change and then a whole new bunch of nit wits arrive!

Got a call today from someone asking if we had a website. Did not get a chance to ask where they found the phone number as they hung up when the URL was given.

Got a call today from someone asking if we had a website. Did not get a chance to ask where they found the phone number as they hung up when the URL was given..
They probably just wanted the info so they could call you back to see if you wanted to be on the first page of google!

Breakfast Diva said:
I'm trying vary hard to make this the most over-exposed, publicly know "hidden gem" I can.
confused_smile.gif

Breakfast Diva said:
I'm trying vary hard to make this the most over-exposed, publicly know "hidden gem" I can.
confused_smile.gif

Highlands John said:
confused_smile.gif
Ditto that! Some guests help with this. They tell us they will (and they actually do) spread the word and send friends. Others not so much. I've overheard guests say to each other "let's keep this our own little secret getaway".

Breakfast Diva said:
gillumhouse said:
Other than magnetic signs on our car, we don't even market locally. Where we have benefitted has been through networking with businesses that compliment ours and by trading links with them on our website.
We get a lot of referrals by these exchanged links. We don't do print ads. They're expensive and mostly worthless.

Breakfast Diva said:
confused_smile.gif

Highlands John said:
confused_smile.gif
Ditto that! Some guests help with this. They tell us they will (and they actually do) spread the word and send friends. Others not so much. I've overheard guests say to each other "let's keep this our own little secret getaway".
what i hate is when they tell you that "oh we arn't going to tell anyone at the event/conference/friends etc that you are here its our secret!" you just want to shake them by the head!

Breakfast Diva said:
gillumhouse said:
Other than magnetic signs on our car, we don't even market locally. Where we have benefitted has been through networking with businesses that compliment ours and by trading links with them on our website.
We get a lot of referrals by these exchanged links. We don't do print ads. They're expensive and mostly worthless.
Over the years we have been written up in the local weekly many, many times and in the local daily also. We have been on TV, I wear my Gillum House apron when I go to the store - where many have noticed it to say, I didn't know.... I am a walking billboard (right size too!).
I used to do an ad in the yearbook at the high school as a donation, put an ad in the football program that was a coupon for $10 off, no more wasting money locally.

Breakfast Diva said:
gillumhouse said:
Over the years we have been written up in the local weekly many, many times and in the local daily also. We have been on TV, I wear my Gillum House apron when I go to the store - where many have noticed it to say, I didn't know.... I am a walking billboard (right size too!).
I used to do an ad in the yearbook at the high school as a donation, put an ad in the football program that was a coupon for $10 off, no more wasting money locally.
gillumhouse said:
I kept getting asked for "donations" or to "buy ads" by local school entities and finally came up with a solution that got them to quit calling. I told them that if they would advertise our B&B in their programs for free, that I would donate $10 for every reservation that I received as a result of their ad. I did this by providing a promotional code.
To date, I have never received a single reservation from that campaign. I have also never been asked for another donation. If they have to put out any effort to get the money for their cause, their need suddenly becomes less dire.
What they want is a handout. Not happening. Quid Pro Quo!

Breakfast Diva said:
gillumhouse said:
gillumhouse said:
I kept getting asked for "donations" or to "buy ads" by local school entities and finally came up with a solution that got them to quit calling. I told them that if they would advertise our B&B in their programs for free, that I would donate $10 for every reservation that I received as a result of their ad. I did this by providing a promotional code.
To date, I have never received a single reservation from that campaign. I have also never been asked for another donation. If they have to put out any effort to get the money for their cause, their need suddenly becomes less dire.
Proud Texan said:
gillumhouse said:
Putting their money where their mouth is, I like it PT! I will make a note of this and keep on my desk, I get so many, they will argue it tho, of course. but thanks for this.

Breakfast Diva said:
gillumhouse said:
gillumhouse said:
PT,
W h a t a good idea. I will follow suit. I would be happy to give the local clubs the $10 off the top, if a booking should happen from the ad.
We do some hyperlocal donations to organizations in our tiny community. Our chamber seems to only recognize the county seat.

Back