I give up.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Someone who knows the answer please explain why a diabetic can have a pile of toast but cannot have quiche. We specifically made quiche instead of 'bread' breakfast so this person could eat.

They don't understand diabetes and carbohydrates and make their own diet.

As a type 1 diabetic I can tell you that is utter crap. Quiche is just fine, they are just hoping you don't know any better ... which of course you do. The toast will convert to sugar faster and in more quantity than anything in the quiche.

Some diabetics not only have to watch the carb count and the specific type of carb (complex vs. simple), they have to watch the fat count, because the bad fats can effect their triglyceride levels and that somehow effects their liver....
But piling up the toast is a no-no too... don't try to figure it out, you've got more important things to do, like figure out why the no bacon-ers can suddenly put away a whole plate of bacon!

Unless something completely different comes up I am done starting breakfast threads.
tounge_smile.gif
Enough with the bizarro diets.
Asked the first couple this morning if they would like sausage and toast with their quiche. They said, 'Yes, why do you ask?' So i explained that some don't want the toast, some don't want the sausage and some don't want the quiche but would like the toast and sausage.
They said, bless their hearts (in the Northern fashion), 'We're not that picky.'
The next 2 tables in went for the toast & sausage, no quiche so they heard it for themselves.

Some diabetics not only have to watch the carb count and the specific type of carb (complex vs. simple), they have to watch the fat count, because the bad fats can effect their triglyceride levels and that somehow effects their liver....
But piling up the toast is a no-no too... don't try to figure it out, you've got more important things to do, like figure out why the no bacon-ers can suddenly put away a whole plate of bacon!.
Willowpondgj said:
But piling up the toast is a no-no too... don't try to figure it out, you've got more important things to do, like figure out why the no bacon-ers can suddenly put away a whole plate of bacon!
I could almost explain the bacon thing...I think some guests wait to see what YOU mean by 'bacon'. JBJ will have my head, but when we were in GA two years ago I was sick to death of pork products for breakfast so I would ask what was being served. If it was bacon I would say ok. But, the last time the cook said she was serving 'bacon' I got a pork chop. Now maybe it was really thick Canadian (back) bacon, but I don't like that as much as the 'regular' kind.
So, some guests may just 'wait and see' before devouring everything!

Lots of carbs are just as bad - sometimes worse for a diabetic than sugar. I think they just are using the word to be able to be picky or really do not follow the diet at all (which sound like that to me). My Mom was a severe Diabetic, died early this year from the dease (complications from).
Hopefully this was just a vacation treat for him, but if it were me I would make my treat something other than toast. But then again, Bree your toast maybe something special.

Unless something completely different comes up I am done starting breakfast threads.
tounge_smile.gif
Enough with the bizarro diets.
Asked the first couple this morning if they would like sausage and toast with their quiche. They said, 'Yes, why do you ask?' So i explained that some don't want the toast, some don't want the sausage and some don't want the quiche but would like the toast and sausage.
They said, bless their hearts (in the Northern fashion), 'We're not that picky.'
The next 2 tables in went for the toast & sausage, no quiche so they heard it for themselves..
Bree said:
Asked the first couple this morning if they would like sausage and toast with their quiche. They said, 'Yes, why do you ask?'
You are good...my response would have been, "Because I need to know whether you would like me to put those items on your plate. "
tounge_smile.gif

Why on earth would they think you were asking that question?

I stick to my old answer from day one.
You have two choices for breakfast :
1) take it
2) leave it
Don't ask don't tell. IF they have a special dietary requirement - no pork from reasons other than I don't feel like it today...then that is 100% what we want to do.
How the heck do you cater to each and every persons whim? Put it on the plate, they can eat it or not eat it. Simple.
They are childish. Just like asking a kid? Would you like this? Don't ask them, just give it to them and say ENJOY YOUR BREAKFAST. It is a B&B not a diner!!! Don't post the menu, don't ask them, just serve it.
(Murphy says - I knew as soon as I typed this it will be back to bite me. ha ha I already know tonight's guests are veggies, so I am prepared. I respect that, they told me up front. If they decide to not like the juicy fresh strawberries and blueberries, their loss.)

Lots of carbs are just as bad - sometimes worse for a diabetic than sugar. I think they just are using the word to be able to be picky or really do not follow the diet at all (which sound like that to me). My Mom was a severe Diabetic, died early this year from the dease (complications from).
Hopefully this was just a vacation treat for him, but if it were me I would make my treat something other than toast. But then again, Bree your toast maybe something special..
Copperhead said:
Hopefully this was just a vacation treat for him, but if it were me I would make my treat something other than toast. But then again, Bree your toast maybe something special.
Sorry about your mom.
As for my toast...ha, ha, ha. Special toast.
teeth_smile.gif
He had a pillbox full of pills. I didn't put the ice cream on the fruit because I figured that would be a no-no. Wasn't even sure he would eat the fruit (cantaloupe). No juice. But I really thought the quiche would have been the proper food for him.
I guess from now on when someone tells me they are a 'whatever' I will ask what they eat for breakfast to get some ideas. Oh, that's another Murphy's Law.

Hopefully this was just a vacation treat for him, but if it were me I would make my treat something other than toast. But then again, Bree your toast maybe something special..
Copperhead said:
Sorry about your mom.
teeth_smile.gif
He had a pillbox full of pills. I didn't put the ice cream on the fruit because I figured that would be a no-no. Wasn't even sure he would eat the fruit (cantaloupe). No juice. But I really thought the quiche would have been the proper food for him.
I guess from now on when someone tells me they are a 'whatever' I will ask what they eat for breakfast to get some ideas. Oh, that's another Murphy's Law.
From what you just described, the Quiche was the better option than anything else. I would not alter your methods based on this person. Juice is the worst (even worse than icecream...actually the icecream is better than the toast) in terms of how rapidly it becomes sugar. All carbs become sugar, it is just a question of how fast (glycemic index). Icecream has a very low glycemic index (becomes surgar very slowly) while juice has a very high glycemic index. Bread has a high glycemic index too (unless it is rye).
This diabetic had no problem happily eating everything you put in front of him (just dialed up the insulin pump to match)
regular_smile.gif
Carry on.

Sorry to hear about your mom Copperhead.

Copperhead said:
Sorry about your mom.
teeth_smile.gif
From what you just described, the Quiche was the better option than anything else. I would not alter your methods based on this person. Juice is the worst (even worse than icecream...actually the icecream is better than the toast) in terms of how rapidly it becomes sugar. All carbs become sugar, it is just a question of how fast (glycemic index). Icecream has a very low glycemic index (becomes surgar very slowly) while juice has a very high glycemic index. Bread has a high glycemic index too (unless it is rye).
This diabetic had no problem happily eating everything you put in front of him (just dialed up the insulin pump to match)
regular_smile.gif
Carry on.
swirt said:
regular_smile.gif
Carry on.
As do many...'Don't do anything special for me, I'll take care of things from my side.'

Bree I think you are trying too hard to satisfy your guests at breakfast by offering them choices. You have made many comments on this board regarding breakfast issues so I know it has been a frustrating matter for you.
What I do is ask each guest on arrival (unless previously provided) if they have any food allergies or things they can not or do not eat for breakfast. Then I set up my breakfast for the next morning with these things in mind. They then get what is presented in the AM. No 'ordering' I do not have the time or talents to be a short order cook for up to 15 people.
I know I am not the only one that does this on this forum. Why don't you at least give this a try for a couple of months. Check out the water, and if it is not your cup of tea, return to your old ways. One other thing you must get over is having leftovers.

Bree I think you are trying too hard to satisfy your guests at breakfast by offering them choices. You have made many comments on this board regarding breakfast issues so I know it has been a frustrating matter for you.
What I do is ask each guest on arrival (unless previously provided) if they have any food allergies or things they can not or do not eat for breakfast. Then I set up my breakfast for the next morning with these things in mind. They then get what is presented in the AM. No 'ordering' I do not have the time or talents to be a short order cook for up to 15 people.
I know I am not the only one that does this on this forum. Why don't you at least give this a try for a couple of months. Check out the water, and if it is not your cup of tea, return to your old ways. One other thing you must get over is having leftovers..
Copperhead said:
I know I am not the only one that does this on this forum. Why don't you at least give this a try for a couple of months. Check out the water, and if it is not your cup of tea, return to your old ways. One other thing you must get over is having leftovers.
I can't. I just cannot plate up a whole meal only to throw out half of it because the guest won't eat it and I could have saved the aggro and given them what they wanted just by asking. If you only want toast, why should stare at a full plate of food that you know is going in the trash if you don't eat it?
I get this is something I have to deal with (the guests picking what parts of the breakfast they want or don't want).
There really aren't 'choices'. It's not like you're ordering whatever you want. Just, 'from this list' which items do you want?
And, believe me, when guests see a big plate of food going by, they're happy to tell me, 'I don't need all that food, could I just have half of that?'
And this is why I said I'm done starting threads on breakfast. I know I won't change and I don't want my good friends here beating their heads on their keyboards asking themselves, 'Why won't she do things differently? She's making me nuts!'

Don't know the answer -- but just put on your happy face and let it slide off your back.

I know I am not the only one that does this on this forum. Why don't you at least give this a try for a couple of months. Check out the water, and if it is not your cup of tea, return to your old ways. One other thing you must get over is having leftovers..
I do exactly that.
It doesn't work.
=/
Kk.

Bree, I KNOW FOR A FACT that we all attract diff clientele from diff areas. Our places, our locations, it all plays into it.
IE NOONE comes here to shop, ever ever ever.
Sure some of us swap em around and get the same sort of guests while they tour the US or east coast, but there is, without a doubt, a diff demographic and lifestyle, manners between a large city say BOSTON guest who stays with you and a small town southerner.
Therefore how we operate is also different. When the guest here on her fling-a-ding-ding in her convertable mercedes coupe pointed to me and said "is this REAL maple syrup" I walked away like I did not hear her. Her pouting lips, boob job, lifted brows, tightened neck, all of it was NOT MY FAVORITE GUEST,
We rarely have those guests. They would be on the p.i.t.a. alert.

I am not saying that anything shy of having a full restaurant would work 100% of the time, just saying to try something different to see if it works better. I have changed some of my ways because of this group to see if it works better.
I have had some lite eaters over the past 10 years but all in all most of the comments we get in our guests book or in reviews rave over the breakfast.
Lets look at another purspective. Ask yourself these questions: Could the guests have different expectations about your breakfast due to the way it is described on your website? Could I do a better job at describing what or how I serve? We have altered our website several times due to a guest stating that they read something differently than what we intended. (misinterpatation) Thankfully it has all been minor stuff.
Or another idea - (would require more planning but possibly could work) Provide the guests a order card that they complete and turn in by x time before bed. You then would have just what they want and how much they want (like the diabetic - toast guy). This may also limit the waste.
Or if your table seating is such you could serve 'family style'. Then what is left over could be for your breakfast since it was not plated.
I know you say you can't change so maybe I am beating a dead horse but I am just throwing out ideas and believe me I am not beating my head against the keyboard - just my fat little fingers that could use the excersise.

Back