I guess Innspiring has surrendered to AirBnBs too

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoodScout

Reaction score
Just noticed that on the index header for the website (the thing that pops up on the top of your browser window when you come to the site) it says "Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum."

*sigh*

When Steve Wirt (Swirt) was leading us, he always made it clear that all innkeepers are welcome on Innspiring, not just traditional B & B owners, unlike those FB groups where I'm not welcome because I don't serve breakfast, and hotel groups where I'm not welcome because I don't have a 24 hour front desk. So this forum is a festivus for the rest of us! :)

Just noticed that on the index header for the website (the thing that pops up on the top of your browser window when you come to the site) it says "Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum."

*sigh*
I sigh with you. How are to delineate between professional innkeepers owning a business, with all the legalities that entails, and AirHosts, who may be very professional individuals, but do not own a business? Does it matter? It matters to me, because the forums have been so helpful to me on issues that pertain to the liabilities of owning a business. Information that I might have to pay a lawyer or accountant for, but helpful professional innkeepers on the forum are willing to share with others in the hospitality industry, for the good of the industry. I'm not sure Short Term Rental Hosts consider themselves to be in the "industry" as so many hosts (that I know personally) just consider it a short term gig to make a little extra money. Not trying to start a war, just asking a question..

We don 't use those sites, YET. However, if we need to we will. Things change and I feel we should be flexible enough to at least consider all options.

I personally am so very glad I found all of you here and took your good advice to avoid Air & bkg. We are doing fine thus far (10 months in) without them. If I have to use them someday I will, but our 5 rooms are “as busy as we want to be” without selling our souls just using Gogle hotels & TC direct plus direct booking on our own website via Think. I am proud to be a professional B&B and so grateful for this site and all of you here.

I personally am so very glad I found all of you here and took your good advice to avoid Air & bkg. We are doing fine thus far (10 months in) without them. If I have to use them someday I will, but our 5 rooms are “as busy as we want to be” without selling our souls just using Gogle hotels & TC direct plus direct booking on our own website via Think. I am proud to be a professional B&B and so grateful for this site and all of you here.
You followed exactly the best advice any of us long-timers could provide! Kudos to you! Yes, Google & Trip Connect are the way to go!

The original poster wasn't referring to using Air as a free marketing tool, but turning this forum (and perhaps others) into a forum for business owners/professional innkeepers AND short term rental hosts (see the title up top). "Hosts" may not be interested in adding anything to the hospitality industry, or to help other professional innkeepers, but to gain free knowledge/advice from those of us who have invested blood, sweat, tears and ALOT of money in our business. It's a shame that Innspiring has moved in this direction.

I only became aware of this a few weeks ago. Do not know when it changed. As one of the founding members of the original innspiring, I’ll just say that when Steve did this he paid for it from the clicks to different product links. That was an untenable situation. Even tho the original crowd offered to ‘pay to play’ Steve would not take us up on it.

This iteration of the website is a different beast. It’s a ‘for profit’ venture now. That means the owners of the site want as many new sources of revenue as possible.

It’s why old vendor friends like Dumitru have not been able to post links to their products without paying.

Given it’s entirely open to anyone viewing it, all of our ‘trade secrets’ have been easily seen by any and all for the whole time.

Yes, including them in the title is sad, however, I am totally against making this a closed Forum. IF we did that, so many of the newbies/wannabes would not find us. I really, sincerely doubt we have anything to worry about with the "other segment" (if we do not refer to them, this will not be found in a search by them) because they are not interested in becoming REAL. They are not interested in investing the time and money to do what we do or they WOULD be us.

Well, given all this, I'm disappointed I made the decision to be a "Supporting Member."
Oh, and I found it back when it was a closed forum just fine.

Well, given all this, I'm disappointed I made the decision to be a "Supporting Member."
Oh, and I found it back when it was a closed forum just fine.
It’s never been a closed forum. It’s been so open that guests have found themselves being talked about. Thus why we suggest not using your real business info if you want to vent about a problem and are asking for solutions.

You do need to log in to comment and to keep track of new posts, but otherwise, wide open. (And it used to get crawled by Google on a daily basis so you could find your particular problem the next day without logging in and just doing a Google search.)

Sorry you’re feeling disappointed about opting to be a supporting member. I also missed that memo. Probably because I’m an admin and never got the request. (Nor was I asked about how everyone would take to paying.)

Lately, I've been thinking of revamping how we do things here at our Inn, and I find your knowledge invaluable. It's always been a dream of mine and though I'm living it, it does have its trials. (Just yesterday I was making a list of who is not welcome back here! There's only four in four years, so that's pretty good!) It is my hope that you all will let the "short term rental" thing go and continue to share your hard-earned advice. I appreciate you all so much!

Exactly my point. I “got the gist” of this thread and further “get” that other Innkeepers wish this forum wasn’t available to that other segment, but from those I know in my community thus far, we are very different creatures with entirely different business models. Shouldn’t we just focus on us being us and doing it better?

I paid but am not listed as gift supporting.
i have always been ready to pay for the privilege of having this forum. And I agree with InnDeep,I doubt if any of THEM give a rat about learning how to be better innkeepers - they are in it for the money, not the pride of accomplishment we have as we make a living.

I am not sure why people are having issues with Inspire?? This is an information sharing platform! Any subject discussed is for you to ponder and figure out the best way forward for you and your business. I have never heard anyone suggest that anything discussed here is written in stone. The Online Travel Sites and Air B&B types are here and WE choose if to use them or not, it's our choice. We simply do not understand the angst directed against the platform?? Everyone should keep up the good work and keep sharing the information. Never mind the nay Sayers.

Some of have issues sharing tips with people who don't have the same obstacles we have (inspections, licensing, insurance, etc).
I love sharing ideas and suggestions with people who are on a level playing field with me.
Giving a free base to someone who already started on third by avoiding playing by the rules isn't in my nature.

*sigh*
I agree in spirit. After I closed my B&B, I watched our historic district really become overrun with unhosted short term rentals. It has affected the area in a myriad of ways. The remaining inn advertises on those sites. Fortunately, that city at least wised up to collect hotel taxes on them all, but of course they don't jump through all the other hoops. Personally, I've had a bad experience with that model as a guest & won't use it, but there's a huge swath of people that love it! If innkeepers in the know can help make those places better for travelers maybe it is better?

What's funny is that the operators of the forum think by adding that name they're going to get AirBnB hosts to join. They're all on the AirBnB subreddit. They look at BBS's like this:

giphy.gif

I think the goal was more so just to make sure we rank in Google for any term related to what we do.

Back