I hate Trip Advisor!!!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oceanlover

Reaction score
I have worked in the hospitality industry for 20 years now. I worked the last 5 years at a resort in Oregon as the Rooms Division Manager. I have worked for this company for a total of 9 years altogether.

I was let go from my position this summer because of Trip Advisor ratings, the hotel rated at the bottom of the barrel in our small coastal town due to having outdated decor and property. However, I was told that my "position was eliminated" but we got the real reason when mutual friends went to dinner with the now GM of the property. The decision was made by the ownership "committee" who lives 80 miles away in the Portland area, and whom only set foot on the property twice a year, and whom have never actually held a position at the property level.

There were two reviews that cited "terrible service from the front desk manager" but neither time it was me, it was the senior clerk on duty and indeed she was acting as the MOD. One of these persons did not even stay at the hotel, it was a "bridezilla" whom complained that she would not allow her to look into windows of oceanfront homes that were occupied by other guests. When the GM at the time tried to dispute the complaint, that this person did not even stay there, they would not remove it. Both of these incidents were documented in the employee's file, but I was let go nonetheless.

Fast forward 4 months and I had 2 job interviews at top resorts in the Hawaiian Islands, and during both interviews I was questioned about the ratings and the comments, it is really hard to be believed in an interview that this was not me!

I have disputed both of the postings with Trip Advisor that this was not me, that they were costing me work, and I have gotten no response whatsoever. How is it that someone can post slanderous, erroneous information? Why does Trip Advisor get away with this? I was never comfortable before when they named my clerks in reviews, they would be confronted by snippy guests who read the reviews before coming to the property. Names should be omitted in my opinion.

I have worked very hard at my career, and in this tough economy this is making finding work much harder. I believe my resume speaks for itself!! In what other instance can someone put whatever they want about someone with no repercussions?

Anyway, that is my story, add it to the bunch of stories that I am sure that you already have! Thank for listening!!

So, when you interview for jobs you tell them you were fired because of the TA reviews? Are these interviewers contacting your former employers and they are saying you were fired because of 2 bad TA reviews? Who wrote the mgmt responses to the reviews? Was it pointed out that mgmt takes reviews seriously and that these were the solutions mgmt arrived at: Fire the front desk clerk? (I bet THAT would stir up some sympathy from the next guests!)
Sorry you are having difficulties finding employment because mgmt chose to fire the wrong person. If the MOD has it in her file that she was the cause of the bad reviews and you don't have that in your file why not show your signed performance reviews to the interviewers?
Sounds like you were fired because heads had to roll and yours was more convenient. And nothing to do with TA at all if the MOD is the one who has the bad performance reviews.

I guess I am missing something here. WHY are you being asked about the T A reviews? Just because you list that employer on your resume should not tie you to T A. I have been fired and listed that employment but that did not keep me from being hired somewhere else. The company, unless they want to open themselves to a lawsuit, will only state you worked there from when to when and nothing else.
And IF you are applying in the hospitality industry, they of all people should know and understand about T A reviews - and not take them seriously. How many reviews did your former place of employment have that 2 bad ones would sink them?

I am not sure if this is the right group to look to for sympathy. We're a tough bunch of grizzled veterans.
XBAH7c+v9Kzwa+4EQzhQAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

I had a similar proboblem where I worked before I took on my own place the hotel was owned by one company and run by another and the landlord din't give a fricking monkeys as long as the rent was paid. The whole building was dropping to bits, guests would be queing up to have a go on a sunday morning because there was 5 pubs on the back street which stayed open till about 3am and people would stand in the street flowing between them talking loudy and disturbing all the guests who only had single glazed windows so no fricking noise control at all! We used to get horrendous reviews (its the Yorkshire Hotel Harrogate) if you want to take a look but there is nothing you can do. How does trip adviser come up? also maybe the way to battle it is to print out some ones where you have done well to take with you so if they point out those you can say actually that was X Y Z but these are mine?

Back