I have a 17 year old as well

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although it is too late now, I agree with the extra charges. We are putting an extra bed into the room for the 3 year old that is coming. It is a narrow single. Is this child a bed wetter? In diapers? We are not charging but, it will eat breakfast in the morning ... fresh fruit, cereal, probably the eggs or pancakes/waffles (a bit any way) then muck up a muffin or scone, drink the juice, harrass the dogs, fall in the pool, use the towels and the soaps ... and all of this extra work and he is staying for free.
I am thinking that won't happen again. The other 2 that are younger are coming with beds ... but they too will require towels for baths and the pool and every thing else that we will have to do. And diapers, forgot about those. In this heat, even sitting in the outside garbage they will smell really fast. :s
We have pee pads that we used to train the puppies I am thinking of putting them under the mattress protector for the 3 year old in the bed, is that rude? Oh how I wish we didn't have that bed sometimes.
We charged $25.00 for the third adult in the same room adding the same small bed. This 3 year old will be as much work (may not eat as much but will be the same work).
Cathy :s

Although it is too late now, I agree with the extra charges. We are putting an extra bed into the room for the 3 year old that is coming. It is a narrow single. Is this child a bed wetter? In diapers? We are not charging but, it will eat breakfast in the morning ... fresh fruit, cereal, probably the eggs or pancakes/waffles (a bit any way) then muck up a muffin or scone, drink the juice, harrass the dogs, fall in the pool, use the towels and the soaps ... and all of this extra work and he is staying for free.
I am thinking that won't happen again. The other 2 that are younger are coming with beds ... but they too will require towels for baths and the pool and every thing else that we will have to do. And diapers, forgot about those. In this heat, even sitting in the outside garbage they will smell really fast. :s
We have pee pads that we used to train the puppies I am thinking of putting them under the mattress protector for the 3 year old in the bed, is that rude? Oh how I wish we didn't have that bed sometimes.
We charged $25.00 for the third adult in the same room adding the same small bed. This 3 year old will be as much work (may not eat as much but will be the same work).
Cathy :s.
Adults can have "accidents" too. An innkeeper friend of mine discovered that one of her guests totally peed the bed (drunk). The mattress couldn't be saved. After she told me that story, I went out & put waterproof protectors between the nice Ralph Lauren mattress pad and the mattress on all the beds. I also carefully check the mattress pads because they're so thick that moisture can wick away. Sounds gross but just something we need to do...you never know!
confused_smile.gif

i have those waterproof mattress protectors too. Cost me a whooping $150.00 a piece, but are well worth it.....dumped water on them and not a drop went truough.They are also machine washable and able to go in the dryer....
Not rude at all to put a pad on the bed. Accidents happen and Mom should understand that, unless she rather buys a new Mattress?

Our health dept requires the zippered mattress covers... that's what they look for every visit.... I hate them,, the vinyl ones make the crinkly sound, but they protect our mattresses. We are slowly replacing those with a waterproof fabric zippered cover.

i have those waterproof mattress protectors too. Cost me a whooping $150.00 a piece, but are well worth it.....dumped water on them and not a drop went truough.They are also machine washable and able to go in the dryer....
Not rude at all to put a pad on the bed. Accidents happen and Mom should understand that, unless she rather buys a new Mattress?.
No, I meant gross to check them for accidents :-( Yes, definitely need to have the waterproof protectors....just in case.

Our health dept requires the zippered mattress covers... that's what they look for every visit.... I hate them,, the vinyl ones make the crinkly sound, but they protect our mattresses. We are slowly replacing those with a waterproof fabric zippered cover..
That is NOT a state requirement..but I guess each locale can do what they want:-(

Our health dept requires the zippered mattress covers... that's what they look for every visit.... I hate them,, the vinyl ones make the crinkly sound, but they protect our mattresses. We are slowly replacing those with a waterproof fabric zippered cover..
That is NOT a state requirement..but I guess each locale can do what they want:-(
We're not required to have the zippered protectors here, or even the waterproof pads. The health department does do a random check on beds to see if you have mattress pads and enough layers of bedding. I guess they're also checking the condition of the mattresses & box springs.

Cathy said:
We had a family here who brought their own rather large 'pee pad'. They took the sheets of the bed and put that underneath. I thought it was very nice of them as they knew their preteen son was a bed-wetter.
I am going to get the zippered mattress protectors because I do worry about young kids in the beds and the bedbug situation is not getting any better world-wide. Better safe than sorry. The zippered covers are also good for allergies.

Cathy said:
We had a family here who brought their own rather large 'pee pad'. They took the sheets of the bed and put that underneath. I thought it was very nice of them as they knew their preteen son was a bed-wetter.
I am going to get the zippered mattress protectors because I do worry about young kids in the beds and the bedbug situation is not getting any better world-wide. Better safe than sorry. The zippered covers are also good for allergies.
Bree said:
Cathy said:
Maybe we should stock a one size fits all depends.

Cathy said:
Bree said:
Cathy said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
Cathy said:
Now how come THAT amenity wasn't in the bandb survey?
wink_smile.gif

Cathy said:
Bree said:
Cathy said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
Cathy said:
wink_smile.gif

Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
Cathy said:
wink_smile.gif
I had to quote and see just how skinny this post can get! Yes, ipod docking stations for the younger generation and depends for the older and anti-fungal cream and powders and ben-gay pads/patches. (I see those two often within the same room)

I have not seen such mattress protectors. Weh have slept on a plastic mattress protector at a B&B (in Europe somewhere) and it crinkled all night and found it uncomfortable. Didn't like it. The cloth one mentioned here sound like they may be more comfortable. We do have "good" mattress prad, but am thinking (quite sure and didn't try) they are not water (pee) proof. :s Something to ADD to the ever growing list.
The sniff and feel test ... well ... eeewwwww.
We will put the pee pads on the bed for protection. Never even thought about adults or teens or ....
Exactly what is the required amount of layers of bedding?? matress protector, bottom/top sheet, blanket ... what else?
Question ... how often do you wash the mattress protector ? after each guest? or how many guests?

I have not seen such mattress protectors. Weh have slept on a plastic mattress protector at a B&B (in Europe somewhere) and it crinkled all night and found it uncomfortable. Didn't like it. The cloth one mentioned here sound like they may be more comfortable. We do have "good" mattress prad, but am thinking (quite sure and didn't try) they are not water (pee) proof. :s Something to ADD to the ever growing list.
The sniff and feel test ... well ... eeewwwww.
We will put the pee pads on the bed for protection. Never even thought about adults or teens or ....
Exactly what is the required amount of layers of bedding?? matress protector, bottom/top sheet, blanket ... what else?
Question ... how often do you wash the mattress protector ? after each guest? or how many guests?.
Required layers may vary from health department to health department. Here, it's mattress protector, fitted sheet, flat sheet, blanket, then comforter/quilt/coverlet or whatever. They didn't say anything about waterproof protectors/pads but we have them here.
I don't wash the mattress protectors after each guest. I wash it if it there's anything on it at all...the slightest thing. There's no rhyme or reason yet to when I wash them. Seems like it makes more sense to wash them after x number of room nights rather than a time frame.

I have a zippered mattress protector, fitted quilted mattress pad, fitted sheet, flat sheet, blanket, flat sheet (warm months), add a coverlet/quilt/or bedspread (cooler months)
Like samster, wash as needed.

Back