I have a 17 year old as well

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
I have a 17 year old as well and wanted to know what the extra cost would be, if any?
Okay guys, does the pack and play apply to this booking? Ha ha If THEY HAVE A 17 year old then they know how costly they can be!

'if any' ...
come on!
wink_smile.gif

Is this someone trying to put a third person in a room that doesn't accommodate one?? If so, yeesch...

Better still is that you don't have rooms with 2 beds, do you?

When my youngest was under 6 we used to feel sorry for the restaurants that posted "kids under 6 eat free". He was an eating machine!!

He's only 17...still sleeping between Mom and Dad......and he eats off my plate....
Honestly now, I have a 23 y boy, 19 y old girl and 14 y. boy....my youngest is bigger then I and eats 3 times as much.....

He's only 17...still sleeping between Mom and Dad......and he eats off my plate....
Honestly now, I have a 23 y boy, 19 y old girl and 14 y. boy....my youngest is bigger then I and eats 3 times as much......
My older is a 14yo boy and not quite yet 5 foot (yes, he's small for his age). Regardless of size, he still eats like a teenage boy. YIKES! I can't imagine what will happen once he hits his growth spurt!!
That brings up this question... For those who take children over a certain age only, do you consider them as additional adults and price accordingly?
While we'll have our kids still living here when we open, we don't want to accept young kids. We're thinking 16 or older and they will be treated as adult guests as far as pricing goes. Is that common?

Honestly now, I have a 23 y boy, 19 y old girl and 14 y. boy....my youngest is bigger then I and eats 3 times as much......
My older is a 14yo boy and not quite yet 5 foot (yes, he's small for his age). Regardless of size, he still eats like a teenage boy. YIKES! I can't imagine what will happen once he hits his growth spurt!!
That brings up this question... For those who take children over a certain age only, do you consider them as additional adults and price accordingly?
While we'll have our kids still living here when we open, we don't want to accept young kids. We're thinking 16 or older and they will be treated as adult guests as far as pricing goes. Is that common?
You bet it is. We price per body. No matter how old they are, they are still sleeping in a bed with linens that need to be washed, ditto towels, they eat. You tell me what they don't do that should account for no charge???
Riki

My 5'1" (31 yo) daughter eats like a teenage boy!
As far as pricing...we have a set 'extra person' charge, it doesn't vary by age. It doesn't vary if everyone piles into the same bed even tho there are 2 beds in the room. It doesn't vary if they all say, 'We have to leave before breakfast.'
The only time we vary is if the kid is under 1 and is sleeping in a pack n play and mom is the food source. (Most almost 1 yo kids have some sort of breakfast here. It doesn't amount to enough to worry about.) But, if the kid is sleeping in the second bed, we charge.

As far as pricing...we have a set 'extra person' charge, it doesn't vary by age. It doesn't vary if everyone piles into the same bed even tho there are 2 beds in the room. It doesn't vary if they all say, 'We have to leave before breakfast.'
The only time we vary is if the kid is under 1 and is sleeping in a pack n play and mom is the food source. (Most almost 1 yo kids have some sort of breakfast here. It doesn't amount to enough to worry about.) But, if the kid is sleeping in the second bed, we charge.
and then there is issue of disposing of dirty diapers... throw up on the carpet to clean... cheerios under things, sticky surfaces that need to be wiped down from fingers.. maybe I should increase the price! :)

and then there is issue of disposing of dirty diapers... throw up on the carpet to clean... cheerios under things, sticky surfaces that need to be wiped down from fingers.. maybe I should increase the price! :)
greyswan said:
Wait, did my guests stay with you, too? Other than the throw up, thank goodness. I was finding Cheerios days later, I think they were stuck up under the bed! Sticky fingerprints! Just when I thought I had everything wiped down I walk in the room when the light was slanting a different way and gasp. MORE kid prints!
And we didn't charge for that one.
Here's a good one...we kept finding these little plastic chickens everywhere. The week before it had been little plastic lizards. Had no idea where they were coming from. Hubs thinks 2 separate kids hid these little toys on top of the blinds. When the blinds were let down...pop...out came another little plastic toy.
Is this something McD's is giving away? We finally found a sleeve that held a couple more chickens. I think we've got them all now...on my desk!

greyswan said:
I We had them here as well. People with young kids do not smell the dirty diapers!! We find the bag and bags of them sometime 1 week old and yet the waste containers are on their way to the car. Somethime stench in the suite is so bad it takes 1/2 day of airing.

Nobody gets the free ride at our place. If kid (1 per couple) is 3 y or under and sleeps with parents we charge extra $10-20 for cleaning depending on the size of the suite. Over 3 y on sofa $25 per day or full adult charge if on a bed.
In our books everbody is a person regardless of their size or eating capabilty and is charged full fee.

Kids 12 and under stay free with parent in the same room. 13 and up we charge $35 extra, extra bed or not.
Prices are based on 2 people.
My hubs just rented one of our Queen rooms for 2 people with a roll a way...mother and daughter, both adults. They don't want to share a bed. Cherged them no extra, he tried to "upsell"...well, you're not upselling for me...I have to lugg thad roll a way upstairs, later back down, also have to change sheets and wash them..all extra work.
I switched them to another room with 2 twin beds. When they arrive, I will let them kno that they can have the bigger room, for an additional $35.00, up to them....

Kids 12 and under stay free with parent in the same room. 13 and up we charge $35 extra, extra bed or not.
My hubs just rented one of our Queen rooms for 2 people with a roll a way...mother and daughter, both adults. They don't want to share a bed. Cherged them no extra, he tried to "upsell"...well, you're not upselling for me...I have to lugg thad roll a way upstairs, later back down, also have to change sheets and wash them..all extra work.
I switched them to another room with 2 twin beds. When they arrive, I will let them kno that they can have the bigger room, for an additional $35.00, up to them.....
I think you should let them know now. You could find yourself with a nasty TA review for 'bait and switch'. Especially because room prices are based on 2 guests. Unless you have it written somewhere that the extra roll away is $35, your husband gave them the room for that price. You do have to honor that. If they are happy with the twin beds, ok. But don't hit them with that when they walk in the door.
I've missed charging for the 3rd person and I kick myself, but I do honor the price I quoted.
Remember what GeorgiaGirl just went thru with being given a different room. She was not a happy camper.
And, yes, I know I have said I move guests around, but they know I'm doing that, before they arrive. I don't hit them with it when they walk in the door and then say, 'If you want your old room back, it's $35 more for the second bed.'

I switched them to another room with 2 twin beds. When they arrive, I will let them kno that they can have the bigger room, for an additional $35.00, up to them.....
I think you should let them know now. You could find yourself with a nasty TA review for 'bait and switch'. Especially because room prices are based on 2 guests. Unless you have it written somewhere that the extra roll away is $35, your husband gave them the room for that price. You do have to honor that. If they are happy with the twin beds, ok. But don't hit them with that when they walk in the door.
I've missed charging for the 3rd person and I kick myself, but I do honor the price I quoted.
Remember what GeorgiaGirl just went thru with being given a different room. She was not a happy camper.
And, yes, I know I have said I move guests around, but they know I'm doing that, before they arrive. I don't hit them with it when they walk in the door and then say, 'If you want your old room back, it's $35 more for the second bed.'
I totally understand what you're saying. I would not be rude about it, no way.
I will try to do my best, but I will give them the option for the other room, which is also cheaper. If they decide not to go for that one, I will honor my husbands quoted price and just have him lugg the bed up and down and clean their room tomorrow. He never thinks it is necessary to read the policies I established.
Here is a copy from my web site:
[tr]Room Rates:
Room rates are based on double occupancy.
Each additional person will be $35.00 extra.
Children 12 and under stay free with Parents in the same room.
Persons under 18 years of age are not to stay at the B&B without an adult.
Seasonal, May 15th - September 15th
[/td][/tr][tr]Queen Rooms[/td]$139.00[/td][/tr][tr][td]Jacuzzi Suite[/td][td]$149.00[/td][/tr][tr][td]Single or Double Room[/td][td]$129.00[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td] [/td][/tr][tr]Seasonal, September 16th - May 14th[/td][/tr][tr][td]Queen Rooms[/td][td]$119.00[/td][/tr][tr][td]Jacuzzi Suite[/td][td]$129.00[/td][/tr][tr][td]Single or Double Room[/td][td]$99.00[/td][/tr][/table]
Policies:
We hope to see you soon at A Mooseberry Inn B&B!
Please note the following rates and policies of your stay and cancellation policies.
A valid credit card is required to confirm and hold your reservation. We will not charge your card until your arrival.
A Mooseberry Inn B&B is a non smoking facility; smoking is permitted in outdoor designated areas only.
Check-in time is from 3:00 PM until 6:00 PM (late arrivals please advice us)
Check-out time is 11:00 AM

Daily Maid service is provided.
A full homemade gourmet breakfast will be served daily from8:00 AM to 9:00 AM
Friendly and well mannered small dogs are welcome to stay with their humans, but are not allowed in the room by themselves and have to be on a leash at all times they move about the property. If you have a dog in your party, please advise us ahead of time. You must get prior approval for your dog. We reserve the right to limit the number of dogs accepted. We also ask you to clean up after your dog. Any damages done by your dog will be charged to your credit card. There is a $30.00 per dog per night charge.
All room rates are based on double occupancy. We have a rollaway bed available for a 3rd guest in some of our rooms. There will be an additional $35.00 per person per night charge over 2 guests. Discounts are available for multiple room rentals.
Cancellation Policy
Since we are a small operation, deposits will be refunded if you cancel your reservations 5 days prior to the scheduled arrival, less a $35 cancellation fee. Deposits with less than 5 days notice will only be refunded only if the reserved room(s) can be rebooked for the reserved time.
I guess I will also add that a roll a way is extra too so there won't be no misunderstandings.
Thanks for your input, Bree

Nobody gets the free ride at our place. If kid (1 per couple) is 3 y or under and sleeps with parents we charge extra $10-20 for cleaning depending on the size of the suite. Over 3 y on sofa $25 per day or full adult charge if on a bed.
In our books everbody is a person regardless of their size or eating capabilty and is charged full fee..
April said:
In our books everbody is a person regardless of their size or eating capabilty and is charged full fee.
Dr Seuss wrote: A person's a person, no matter how small.

greyswan said:
Wait, did my guests stay with you, too? Other than the throw up, thank goodness. I was finding Cheerios days later, I think they were stuck up under the bed! Sticky fingerprints! Just when I thought I had everything wiped down I walk in the room when the light was slanting a different way and gasp. MORE kid prints!
And we didn't charge for that one.
Here's a good one...we kept finding these little plastic chickens everywhere. The week before it had been little plastic lizards. Had no idea where they were coming from. Hubs thinks 2 separate kids hid these little toys on top of the blinds. When the blinds were let down...pop...out came another little plastic toy.
Is this something McD's is giving away? We finally found a sleeve that held a couple more chickens. I think we've got them all now...on my desk!
This is why some of us don't take children under 12 :) I do have a friend of a friend coming to stay for a week in November with a 3 year old & 1 year old in our suite with the kitchen. This will be interesting.....

Back