I have a brilliant and cunning plan

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
The thought just crossed my head as I blogged about our addons and packages. I might contact the local city paper and have a contest and give away a B&B Gift Certifcate for $50 (not a free night stay)...
Remember a while back I wanted to write a blog article about doing NOTHING at our B&B...all the many ways to do nothing? Well what if I ask for entries on that and give away $50 gc? What are your thoughts?
There is a local blog people in a nearby city read and comment on daily - it is part of the newspaper there. I think this would be a way to not actually put an ad in a paper, and have free advertising?

Sounds good to me. I got a ton of advertising from pledging $1.50 per ounce of root beer drunk in 5 minutes in a Chugging For Charity. Every promo on the radio said my inn s one of the sponsors!

Brilliant! How will you pick the winner? This could be a seasonal or monthly thing you do, just by changing the contest. Let us know how it turns out.

Sorry but i don't think too many will bite on a $50 off coupon. They want free things:-( Do you think your local paper would do a story on it for you? Our certainly would not:-( We'd have to buy a costly ad.

Look at it this way, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Asking costs nothing.

This gal who has a popular food blog replied and said it sounds like fun, we could double team it to get some link love going to our blogs. I might contact another blog at our lake to see if they want in on it, they are always looking for blog ideas. Just something fun to get some interest. I am not giving away squawat (how do you spell that word, my spelling looks eastern Indian now), so $50 gc is a great prize!

We are in love with one of our local florist. For a Valentines Day drawing, she has traditionally given away flowers for a year. This was very expensive and a hassle. This year she bought a weekend stay at our B&B and had that for her drawing. The response was overwhelming and it ended up being a much cheaper for her as well. She's happy and we're happy.
I said that to say this, suggest this approach to local businesses in your area. It's a good way to get local advertising and to make the other business look good.

We are in love with one of our local florist. For a Valentines Day drawing, she has traditionally given away flowers for a year. This was very expensive and a hassle. This year she bought a weekend stay at our B&B and had that for her drawing. The response was overwhelming and it ended up being a much cheaper for her as well. She's happy and we're happy.
I said that to say this, suggest this approach to local businesses in your area. It's a good way to get local advertising and to make the other business look good..
Proud Texan said:
I said that to say this, suggest this approach to local businesses in your area. It's a good way to get local advertising and to make the other business look good.
Well I won't go there on that...there is none here. None of what you speak of.
In fact, after spending $70x3 ($210) to horseback ride at a local stable where I refer guests AND offer to do a blog article if they would email me photos of themselves, horses and big red barn - not so much as a thank you, no, not 10% off the ride either, nada. This is typical for this area. I give everyone a discount, I do so much for guests for locals for everyone. It irritates me. It is what it is in this part of the country - no common business sense.
I called the local florist when the overpriced flowers my sister who had cancer at the time, and totally broke, sent my mother died on day two, I called them and they said too bad. They said "She must have left them out in the heat" IN MAY? The second day totally dead? Come on now.
That Florist has been here for 50 years, long line of family running it. I buy my flowers at kroger grocery store for guests, won't give the florist one penny. I will order proflowers.com before I EVER spend anything at that florist. It is a phenomena, really it is around here.
Sorry to go on a tangent, just trying to explain. I DO HAVE a package with another stable for moonlight trail rides. I get nothing out of it, they get the referral. But it is something to post on the website for guests.

This gal who has a popular food blog replied and said it sounds like fun, we could double team it to get some link love going to our blogs. I might contact another blog at our lake to see if they want in on it, they are always looking for blog ideas. Just something fun to get some interest. I am not giving away squawat (how do you spell that word, my spelling looks eastern Indian now), so $50 gc is a great prize!.
Your $50 GC paired with another $xx GC and another biz $xx GC would make a heckuvapackage prize - total value: $$$

Back