I have a loaner

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
I still have not heard a word about my computer. I went over to the store yesterday when I left the Library to find out what was going on - and found no counter in the store! What? It looks as if they are departing! The girl that is stuck over there trying to keep things together (she came and picked up my machine Wednesday) brought over a DELL yesterday so I can at least function. I was told there are 10 or 11 computers ahead of mine. I may be wrong, but I think business trumps personal.
I called her Friday after I found out from City Hall that the City Manager's computer was down and it took them a week and a half to get it back to her (I think City Manager trumps everyone! Especially in the city you just set up shop in!). WHAT??? This is the City Manager for goodness sake! That was when I called and was told she would get me a loaner. Found out last night this poor girl has only worked there about 2 weeks. Not a happy camper in this house. I will find a new computer place - although I appreciate the loaner, my computer is now in Fairmont and THEY are not talking to me. Cannot fault the girl, at least she did something for me.
So, for the moment, I can at least get online.

Yikes, computer problems are such a headache. At least you don't have to run to the library just to get online now. It's cold out there!

Sorry, in their world..first come first serve I guess. Maybe it is time to find another computer. How old was the one on the fritz?

Sorry, in their world..first come first serve I guess. Maybe it is time to find another computer. How old was the one on the fritz?.
I do not know how old. The C-drive goes back to 2007 when the last C-drive ate itself. The F-drive probably goes back to around 2000 - I forget when the previous crash had occured. I got the first computer in 1996 then upgraded to XP during one crash, Added CD tray and then later added the burner.... It is an add-along. I am on my third printer (second all-in-one).

Yikes, computer problems are such a headache. At least you don't have to run to the library just to get online now. It's cold out there!.
Yes, it IS cold. It was 13 this morning. This Dell will not let me open my e-mail in Explorer - had to open Fixfire. My first experience with that. It was another learning curve. Every time my "baby" goes to the doc, it comes back with something new to have to learn all over again! Can't wait to see what they "bundle" with Windows 7.

My computer died last eve. Made a clicking noise and had a f1, f12 thing on the screen.Bought it in 2001, so I guess I got alot of mileage out of it. Will ask my son in law to hook up a spare I have, soon . I'am at work on line,on my day off. Tomorrow and Tues is recertification training for me (work related) so will have a computer to use some...What is this new windows 7 ?? Mary in Bridgewater

My computer died last eve. Made a clicking noise and had a f1, f12 thing on the screen.Bought it in 2001, so I guess I got alot of mileage out of it. Will ask my son in law to hook up a spare I have, soon . I'am at work on line,on my day off. Tomorrow and Tues is recertification training for me (work related) so will have a computer to use some...What is this new windows 7 ?? Mary in Bridgewater.
It is the new operating system Microsoft has brought out. I have heard nothing except good things about it. Yes, there will be a learning curve - isn't there always? I was told you have to save everything from your drive before installing and then reload. I figured that since I am already dead in the water, it makes sense to just do it to it.

Why is your computer in another business- Fairmont as in hotel?.
Fairmont as in the city north of me. If you look at a WV map and follow the I-79 corridor, you will see at teh PA line Morgantown, then Fairmont, and then Clarksburg. My city is halfway between Fairmont & Clarksburg 6+ miles west of I-79. The Fairmont people opened a branch store in my city, but i think they are leaving - they did not staff the store properly, IMO.

Fairmont....Sorry, thought of a hotel....
No problem - the Fairmont is a good hotel I believe. You have no way of knowing where we are. I am "live" but many are anon. I am not because I am not bright enough to carry it off to be anon. Welcome to the Forum.

I called the computer people today and was told it worked perfectly in the shop. They ran it for a couple days. The girl in town saw my hard drive error screen so at least SHE knows I was not imagining things. It came home today. And the BEST part is they did not charge me! I was VERY surpeised.

I called the computer people today and was told it worked perfectly in the shop. They ran it for a couple days. The girl in town saw my hard drive error screen so at least SHE knows I was not imagining things. It came home today. And the BEST part is they did not charge me! I was VERY surpeised..
gillumhouse said:
And the BEST part is they did not charge me!
What you put into the lives of others comes back into your own! Merry Christmas to you! ;)

I called the computer people today and was told it worked perfectly in the shop. They ran it for a couple days. The girl in town saw my hard drive error screen so at least SHE knows I was not imagining things. It came home today. And the BEST part is they did not charge me! I was VERY surpeised..
Now that you have got it back in your hands, back up everything onto a portable hard drive, if you have got one. If your HD is showing errors there is a good chance that more will come, maybe not today or tomorrow but soon. We have switched our critical jobs and apps to Mac because of the time capsule feature, which happens to be one of the best desktop backup systems created. I wish windows had a system as good as time capsule. If you have or are planning on moving to windows 7 it has my recommendation.

I ment to say time machine (software) not time capsule (hardware). I went a googled 'windows time machine' and found this http://www.seagate.com/replica/ which sounds like the best windows option (compared to time machine). Full system restore is the key to these backups. If you have a failure you buy a new HD install the OS and plug this in and it should restore your system exactly the way it was the moment it crashed.

gillumhouse said:
And the BEST part is they did not charge me!
What you put into the lives of others comes back into your own! Merry Christmas to you! ;)
Thank you.

I ment to say time machine (software) not time capsule (hardware). I went a googled 'windows time machine' and found this http://www.seagate.com/replica/ which sounds like the best windows option (compared to time machine). Full system restore is the key to these backups. If you have a failure you buy a new HD install the OS and plug this in and it should restore your system exactly the way it was the moment it crashed.
Thank you. I actually signed up for Carbonite this year It backups up my C-drive which is where all my most important files are. I also have the MOST important files saved on an external drive. I may have been in danger of losing my addresses and many photos, files, reports, certificates, etc, but my business records are kept on both drives so it one fails, I do have another just in case. Even I learn after 2 separate crashes - this would have been the third.

kathleen, can they tell you why your computer is crashing? this is worrisome to me. not to be a negative voice here .... and i'm glad you got it back no charge.

Back