I have an idea?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hillbilly

Reaction score
I have been talking to John at rezkey. I asked him if there was a way to send a follow up email with a survey after a guests has stayed. He thought that was a great idea and suggested survey monkey . Com. He said he could build this into a email. I'm really thinking about doing this. Two reasons: One I really would like to know what guests think of our property and where we can do better. Secondly, if a guests had a problem maybe they would vent here instead of TA. After the guests fill out the survey they will then be entered in a drawing for a stay or %off or something. Thoughts?

For me, it is that spam thing again. If it isn't personally from you, then even moreso.
I would not appreciate it, that's me. Every hotel does that and you feel like "Sheesh why didn't you ask me while I was there? Why didn't you say 'Is everything sufficient?' or something and I would have told you."
You will have to add a bonus fill this out and get a $10 off coupon, or put into a drawing or people won't fill it out. Even then they won't fill it out, people think those are just marketing emails.

Put little cards in the room if you don't want to ask the guests directly. A little background- I sent out a survey to all of my guests on my mailing list. These are people who actually want to hear from me. What % responded with the lure of a $25 GC? 60. Out of over 600.
We did make changes based on that survey. But it was hard to reconcile 'not enough breakfast' with 'way too much food'.

I personally would not write a complaint on a card and leave it in a room. I would however respond to an anonymous survey. I'd rather do that than write a negative review on TA.

Put little cards in the room if you don't want to ask the guests directly. A little background- I sent out a survey to all of my guests on my mailing list. These are people who actually want to hear from me. What % responded with the lure of a $25 GC? 60. Out of over 600.
We did make changes based on that survey. But it was hard to reconcile 'not enough breakfast' with 'way too much food'..
Madeleine said:
But it was hard to reconcile 'not enough breakfast' with 'way too much food'.
You say tomato I say tomahtoe
Yes, one person was overhead telling other guests that we serve breakfast at some ungodly hour here. 9am. Yes, 9am. I have other guests who are pacing the walls and want to get on with their day by 7am.

Maybe add a checkbox to the online booking form, "I am willing to respond to an online after-visit survey about my stay with you," and only send the monkey survey to the ones who check the box.

I personally would not write a complaint on a card and leave it in a room. I would however respond to an anonymous survey. I'd rather do that than write a negative review on TA..
Country Girl said:
I personally would not write a complaint on a card and leave it in a room. I would however respond to an anonymous survey. I'd rather do that than write a negative review on TA.
Those online surveys are not anon. Your email is attached to the survey. The person who sends the survey out can see exactly who said what. Having sent one of these I know that. The only way the survey sender doesn't know is if they hire someone to tabulate the info for them and strip the email addies away.
The complaint or comment forms could just be dropped in a box in the hallway in the dead of night. :wink:

We did make changes based on that survey. But it was hard to reconcile 'not enough breakfast' with 'way too much food'..
Madeleine said:
But it was hard to reconcile 'not enough breakfast' with 'way too much food'.
You say tomato I say tomahtoe
Yes, one person was overhead telling other guests that we serve breakfast at some ungodly hour here. 9am. Yes, 9am. I have other guests who are pacing the walls and want to get on with their day by 7am.
Here, too. Had guests say they wouldn't come to breakfast until 10 AM. I told them they could have cereal at that time. Others, this past month, have been seated in the dining room at 7:45 waiting.

John is going to place it in the follow up email that guest receive a few days after they leave. So it will look and feel like it is from us and not spam. I won't know who response (that's a good thing) some of the niciests people can be back stabbers. So I don't want to know. I have had a few people this year that act like they have had a great time only to email me later with pita complaints. Things that could of been corrected. I think I will try it and see what happens.

John is going to place it in the follow up email that guest receive a few days after they leave. So it will look and feel like it is from us and not spam. I won't know who response (that's a good thing) some of the niciests people can be back stabbers. So I don't want to know. I have had a few people this year that act like they have had a great time only to email me later with pita complaints. Things that could of been corrected. I think I will try it and see what happens..
Bob said:
John is going to place it in the follow up email that guest receive a few days after they leave. So it will look and feel like it is from us and not spam. I won't know who response (that's a good thing) some of the niciests people can be back stabbers. So I don't want to know. I have had a few people this year that act like they have had a great time only to email me later with pita complaints. Things that could of been corrected. I think I will try it and see what happens.
Right, I know it will be from you. I get the set up, still think it will be considered spam.
And let us know if you can handle not trying to figure out who said what when they come in! haha

John is going to place it in the follow up email that guest receive a few days after they leave. So it will look and feel like it is from us and not spam. I won't know who response (that's a good thing) some of the niciests people can be back stabbers. So I don't want to know. I have had a few people this year that act like they have had a great time only to email me later with pita complaints. Things that could of been corrected. I think I will try it and see what happens..
Bob said:
Right, I know it will be from you. I get the set up, still think it will be considered spam.
And let us know if you can handle not trying to figure out who said what when they come in! haha
Joey Bloggs said:
Indeed, just like if they left an anonymous note in the suggestions box in the night. I'd be studying the handwriting like crazy trying to figure out who wrote it!

I personally would not write a complaint on a card and leave it in a room. I would however respond to an anonymous survey. I'd rather do that than write a negative review on TA..
Country Girl said:
Those online surveys are not anon. Your email is attached to the survey. The person who sends the survey out can see exactly who said what. Having sent one of these I know that. The only way the survey sender doesn't know is if they hire someone to tabulate the info for them and strip the email addies away.
The complaint or comment forms could just be dropped in a box in the hallway in the dead of night. :wink:
They can be set up to be anon. The email has a generic link and when the survey is completed you get an email from the program that just shows a list of answers to the questions. There is no information attached to it to discern who filled it out. maybe that's not the case with whatever program you used in the past, but there are plenty of anon options.

Jot Form . com is another great service - it has more options & customizations than Survey Monkey. I used this program for elections for a non-profit and all the responses were anon.

I don't know about those surveys and all the emails and questions we have for our guests. Surveys, imho, are making you blend in with the big dogs. Everyone sends out surveys these days and they really make me crazy.
I would stay away from it. Most of the time we really just want to be loved and if we don't get that love person to person, we try to figure out why this particular person, when all the other guests express their like for us, is not coming forward with it. Don't do it :)

I have waited to chime in but I am now going to say it is a waste of John's valuable time. I do not want such trash to go out from my inn. I get emails to take surveys all too often and unless it is something I care about (organization I mean) I hit delete. MY time is too valuable to waste on another silly survey with results from people who have no clue what it takes to provide a smooth-running, comfortable inn, provision and serve delicious breakfasts, do laundry, clean, market, do accounts, and still participate in the community AND have a family life. I have no clue how anyone else's business operates - so how the heck do I know what they could possibly do to make me happier.
With many guests the answer would be to bend over, grab our ankles, and not charge them for doing everything we possibly can think of to give them a pleasant stay so they can still say the value = 2.

Just do your own survey monkey. It's free. Why bother John to do it for you???

Just do your own survey monkey. It's free. Why bother John to do it for you???.
EmptyNest said:
If John thought it was a good idea, I don't think it's a bother to him. He's LOOKING for enhancements to make his product stand out from the competition. Like most ideas, some will like and use it and others won't. No harm, no foul.

Just do your own survey monkey. It's free. Why bother John to do it for you???.
EmptyNest said:
If John thought it was a good idea, I don't think it's a bother to him. He's LOOKING for enhancements to make his product stand out from the competition. Like most ideas, some will like and use it and others won't. No harm, no foul.
I have to say, his customer service is what makes him stand out from all the others. H should play that up more and not worry about bells and whistles. His system is a good one but his help is what is great!

Back