I just got handed my azz with a nasty review.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for flagging the review. I tried to get rid of one a while ago because they mentioned another place. TA refused.
But if it works, great!

ok - this is cool. We have a group of 6 here for a week. They love everything. One of the couples is in the room the review describes. I told them about the review. The woman in the room says, "Dated????? You mean antique????"
The best part - they recognize their uncle's painting on our wall!! A local artist! An original. Handed down to me from a deceased relative. And they filled in info I did not know. I love it. They made my day!!!!
AND - they are all writing reviews for us. :).
Doesn't that make your day? It seems anytime I have a rotten or rude guest, the next one is amazing and makes up for it.
In one such instance, the guest left me a surprise gift basket, loaded with things from her home state of Louisiana. One item is a double insulated water bottle, like what Swell makes but with Louisiana on it. I carry it everywhere, because sometimes a physical reminder of a fantastic guest is all the push you need to bite your tongue and smile when someone's being a *tad* rude and thoughtless.

Thank you for flagging the review. I tried to get rid of one a while ago because they mentioned another place. TA refused.
But if it works, great!.
Any idea what "Lucinda" does for a living? Her statement, "In my work I’m also reviewed on Trip Advisor, I know how thrilling it is to have a great review and lovely comments. I don’t know what it’s like to have a poor one but I can imagine it hurts." sticks in my craw and makes me want to let her know how much it hurts. Oh really? Someone this mean, nasty, and petty has never received a bad review? I would love to rip her a new one.

But if it works, great!.
Any idea what "Lucinda" does for a living? Her statement, "In my work I’m also reviewed on Trip Advisor, I know how thrilling it is to have a great review and lovely comments. I don’t know what it’s like to have a poor one but I can imagine it hurts." sticks in my craw and makes me want to let her know how much it hurts. Oh really? Someone this mean, nasty, and petty has never received a bad review? I would love to rip her a new one.
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif

But if it works, great!.
notAgrandma said:
OMG! I did not read the review! She's in some sort of business where she gets personal reviews and has 'an idea a poor review might hurt, but has never had one'?
How much holier-than-thou can you get?

But if it works, great!.
notAgrandma said:
OMG! I did not read the review! She's in some sort of business where she gets personal reviews and has 'an idea a poor review might hurt, but has never had one'?
Earlier in the review, she writes "I run a cafe, I know cheap food when I see it."

But if it works, great!.
notAgrandma said:
Earlier in the review, she writes "I run a cafe, I know cheap food when I see it."
OnTheShore said:
I know online vigilanteism is wrong, but I can't help but want to bash her cafe online. Many of us have been on the receiving end of phantom 1* reviews from people who've never stayed with us, or multiple poor reviews from family members regarding a single experience. Let us know if you find her cafe online, BeachHouse!

But if it works, great!.
notAgrandma said:
OnTheShore said:
Really? How? Does she serve cheap food?
Now I can't go read that review. I'll be fuming all day.

We are all hurt when the poor review arrives like a slap in the face, but I really hope that folks see those rare bad reviews as a sign of an unhappy person rather than a reflection of the property. I tend to respond in the same way as you, so sorry you didn't enjoy your visit and use the balance to show they didn't know what they were talking about and sell the positive of the property.

Funny how things change, I once got handed my azz by people still here when I posted excerpts of one of our less than complimentary TA reviews seeking guidance. Someone's head actually exploded when I posted the reviewer's ID name back when I was a newbie.

But if it works, great!.
notAgrandma said:
OnTheShore said:
Morticia said:
OnTheShore said:
I know what she is saying. She wants a place with linens and crystal and homemade bread and jam. That isn't us. She chose the wrong place and blamed us for being ourselves. We make homemade egg quiche and homemade French toast and 6 kinds of juice and a really pretty fruit display. But we also put store bought bread out for anyone who wants toast. She focused on that.

Thanks, didnt see it. What a hurtful review. Petty and mean. Says she knows how it feels to get reviews and then went to town. Yet three stars which is really odd. Sorry

Is the review gone? I don't see it ...
hoping that's the case!.
Still there, just moved down under 2 new ones :)
Generic said:
I told our guests about the review and they are adding theirs. :)
TheBeachHouse said:
Generic said:
I told our guests about the review and they are adding theirs. :)
Sweet!

Thanks, didnt see it. What a hurtful review. Petty and mean. Says she knows how it feels to get reviews and then went to town. Yet three stars which is really odd. Sorry.
seashanty said:
Thanks, didnt see it. What a hurtful review. Petty and mean. Says she knows how it feels to get reviews and then went to town. Yet three stars which is really odd. Sorry
I look at 3 stars as the kiss of death. 1 star generally means the person reviewing is a nut job. Those can be laughed at. 3 stars is 'i didn't hate the place, but see no reason to go back.'
Of course, this one picked the wrong experience and refuses to own up to her mistake. Like beachy said, 'she's blaming us for being us.'

I had to go look. I think she comes across as holier-than-thou. Anytime I see a long review I pretty much ignore it. Luckily, you have a lot of reviews which means this doesn't hit as hard, ranking-wise, as it would if you didn't.
I think I might have brought up that it's surprising that she's in food service and doesn't recognize home baking.

ok. how's this?
We are happy to hear that you loved the location, loved the view, loved the koi pond and enjoyed most of the breakfast except the toast offerings. Our breakfast is a buffet - we don't like alarm clocks when we travel, so we allow our guests to come to breakfast on their own schedule. We always serve one savory and one sweet entree', plus a coffee cake, bacon and sausage, a variety of cereals and of juices and of course coffee and tea. Our signature is our Seafarer yogurt parfait bar - make your own parfait using fresh fruit (never canned) and your choice of toppings like coconut, walnuts, granola and more.
Our home is an antique Captain's House on the sea and our decorating style is 'Beach House Casual.' Furniture is a mixture of antiques, inherited pieces and great finds. We want our guests to feel like they are the family summer home by the sea. And we do, very much, love our home.
I do want to correct a very important point. Every room in our home has at least one piece from our large collection of Rockport artists' work. The room you were in had two prints and one original painting - all by Rockport artists. I counted in my head and came up with 11 different Rockport artists whose work is displayed in our home. Your impression that we do not support the local art scene is more than incorrect, it is insulting.
"...my husband says I’m fussy." He likely knows you better than anyone..
Late to the party with my comments and I know you have gotten past this ugly review and most likely have many great ones to bury it but I had to come here and say:
" "...my husband says I’m fussy." He likely knows you better than anyone."
He knows you better than anyone and is being very kind.

Back